Sold van for scrap without V5

LittleMissHappy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4957 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A family member sold his van for scap over a year ago. He pick a scrap dealer out of the local paper. They did the deal and the scrap bloke said they didn't need the V5 (as he couldn't find it).

The DVLA sent a reminder for tax last month. (family member ignored it) Now they got a last chance letter.

It does say on the letter that if the vehicle has been sold on to write to the dvla with details of the person who bought the van and when.

We don't know the name and address of the scrap dealer who bought the car and we only roughly know the date!!!!

Any advise as to what he can do next?

My 'uninformed' response would be to say it was sold as scrap to persons unknown in Month/Year.

Or (if appropriate) to a nice man calling himself John Smith who lived with many children and dogs in a caravan towed by an old Transit Van, at the time illegally occupying a farmers field nearby, with many other similar vehicles - all of whom have since been moved on.

Either way you have answered their question totally honestly and to your fullest knowledge. How can that be wrong?

But more seriously, others will say that being totally open and honest is not good enough with the DVLA!

Wait for other responses.

Good luck with that!

I'm sure that they'll have fun with the admission that you didn't follow the required process if you failed to submit the V5. The fun I'm having even when I did have the V5 and sent it off as required is bad enough. I would imagine once you admit your failure to follow in their process they'll leave you no way out other than to pay up.

Thanks for your advise!!!!

Hmm, not sure it was advice, but maybe I was a little terse. I guess all I mean is you probably have your work cut out trying to explain why you didn't follow their rules. It's bad enough when you do!

Ok I'm guessing this may not be as straight forward as I thought I may have been.

I will write to them with the facts and see what happens. I think thats the only thing that can be done.

Yes, I think honesty is always the best policy. But in the case of the DVLA it seems honesty is rewarded with punishment, not understanding. I hope it works out for you.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems honesty is the best policy! :-D

Received an "acknoledgement letter" today. They have updated their records and the vehicle is no longer registered to my dad. Goes on to say if he receives a renewal reminder to ignore it etc.

This is the letter I sent, maybe it will help others.

I have received a "Last Chance" letter regarding my old van. Reg no. XXXXXX.

I sold this van to a local scrap dealer in or around August 2009. As it was over a year ago I do not have the scrap dealers details. I got his number out of the local paper. He was based in the XXXXXXX area. I also don't recall ever receiving a tax disc reminder since.

I am slightly confused and concerned as to why I have received this "Last Chance" letter now.

Yours sincerely