Issued an unfair caution!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, it is good to see that Infiniteseeker is up early, getting ready for work and now off JSA. I assume that his mother is relieved that he is now taking responsibility for his fines incurred last year, and that she no longer has Marstons knocking on her door.

One or two posters in these threads are genuinely terrified that charges relating to avoiding rail fares will lead to prison, and 'we' have spent a lot of time saying 'it could, but it won't'. Many times we have explained that although the maximum sentence is three months at the taxpayer's expense, we have never had personal experience of that happening.

However, wilful non payment of fines/court impositions is an entirely different thing, and can lead to prison. Normally, Courts make an enforcement order at the same time as announcing fines, which enables the fines to be collected (generally after 14 days) by bailiffs. However, if a Court feels that a person has not tried to pay fines, they can simply say '7 days' for 'wilful non payment'. And they can still enforce the original penalties.

Quite right, sort of! The 1889 act brought together some older acts, some from 1840. And my views on 'old law' is that very often it is very good law, and has had the benefit of years of examination. There are many cases brought under the 1889 act that have gone all the way through the appeals system, which have given us some very good judicial views on the Act. The 1889 act is pretty international. If you ever feel a need to read Indian law, you will find the same words used, as it is in the relevant Irish State law. Queen Victoria signed off some good Acts.

The irony isn't lost on me that we have Sean on here who made a few mistakes (of his own making to be fair) and is listening to the advice given to him, yet infiniteseeker jumps in giving his own opinions when he clearly is not listening to advice given to him!

Have a look at both threads and make your own opinion.

The irony isn't lost on me that we have Sean on here who made a few mistakes (of his own making to be fair) and is listening to the advice given to him, yet infiniteseeker jumps in giving his own opinions when he clearly is not listening to advice given to him!

Have a look at both threads and make your own opinion.

Just what I was thinking seems to have a problem with companies who charge for their services?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?282097-Southern-Trains-again&p=3182144&highlight=#post3182144

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?238372-Marston-Group-enforcing-quot-Fine-quot&p=2654496&highlight=#post2654496

Edited by esmerobbo

Quite right, sort of! The 1889 act brought together some older acts, some from 1840. And my views on 'old law' is that very often it is very good law, and has had the benefit of years of examination. There are many cases brought under the 1889 act that have gone all the way through the appeals system, which have given us some very good judicial views on the Act. The 1889 act is pretty international. If you ever feel a need to read Indian law, you will find the same words used, as it is in the relevant Irish State law. Queen Victoria signed off some good Acts.

I reckon you were there! :wink:

Edit 2 add:

To the OP:

It's total bull**** isn't it, no one actually loses anything by you travelling on the train that once without a ticket, but because they are a business motivated solely by profits and you were breaking their company policy they will now fine you a ridiculously excessive amount. Essentially they punish you for being poor by making you poorer, noone said the system was genius (or even works) but by golly we do believe in it.

Good luck!

You seem to emphasise that this is just their policy, yet as has been said, it has nothing to do with specific TOCs, but an act that has been in place since before 1889 to all intents and purposes. Although slightly different, the byelaws are similar, and have nothing to do with companies making their money!...Even Penalty Fares aren't solely for the TOCs' gain, and as such they don't receive the full amount (I assume).

If you don't get back on topic, Old Codja (On his Vinnie) and I on my RGS will come down there and teach you how to burn serious rubber. Question is, has Old Codja got a Comet, a Rapide or a Black Shadow?

This being an 'advice forum', I hope you won't mind an old git reminding you that there are two types of bikers: those that have fallen off and those that are going to.

I Have, it was definitely fun but not something i'm going to do again (it's was fun looking back on it, not at the time) and thank god it wasn't on a road.