paid by cheque, 3 day later work now looks shoddy, cancel cheque?

cirian75
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

had some work done on my car on Wednesday

paid by cheque as their chip n pin was broken and it was more than my daily limit.

the cheque won't have been deposited till Thursday

Now Saturday afternoon, having a real good look at the work they did.

Not Impressed at all, its shoddy

Is it ok to cancel a cheque and go see the garage .

In the strict legal sense, you can't cancel a cheque as it is a promisary note and even a court can't over-rule that. If you cancelled the cheque, they could take you to court for payment irrespective of the quality of the work done.

You should go and see him first thing tomorrow (Monday) and point out what the problems are and tailor your next move on how they respond. You can, of course, use the threat of cancellation if his response is not in your favour and can cancel the cheque, but just be aware of what I said.

Would you like to tell us the work done and the problems with it?

I don't know what card it was you wanted to use, but most cards only have a daily limit on the amount of cash that can be withdrawn as a security measure should the card be lost or stolen and not on purchases.

a professional application of underseal, its washed off the inner wheel arches in-spite of them telling me its was set and ok to drive home in the rain, I did ask several times was it ok to drive in the rain as it was still a bit fresh.

In that case then go see them and ask that they reapply it at their expense. If they agree, you can say that you will cancel the cheque and pay them when you are satisified or as the regulations put it 'of satisfactory quality'.

If they refuse then I personally would cancel the cheque and deal with any consequences after. It's not a well know fact that once a cheque has been issued you have promised to pay the amount stated on it so they are very unlikely to know that.