by jingo

NP Direct Debit Scam?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3604 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi y'all,

Nice new format for the site - congratulations admin!

Ok, quick story, a colleague (not me for once), set up an account with NP last year who provided gas and electric for a DD sum of £24/ pcm.

Three months into the contract a bill was issued for a further £300, though the account holder had been paying the agreed sum....and thought this was an annual forecast.

Without realising that this was in fact a bill, and most importantly having had no further correspondance from the provider (by way of demands etc.), a later bill for £600 has now been issued.

Now having called the provider, they have suggested an increase in the DD to well over £100 pcm - though intially they were fishing for over £250 pcm to reduce the account.

I am aware of utilities providers [causing problems] customers via DD's which is why I have suggested my colleague cancel immediately the DD immediately - in case NP decide to fleece the bank account.

Do you have any suggestions for an appropriate recourse of action against the provider...fortunately the account is currently on hold while they allegedly 'investigate'. I am amazed however, that whilst the customer has been paying the original DD sum, that there has been absulutely NO correspondance relating to an explicit radical increase in the DD? Or again more importantly no threatening letters...my own provider gets antsy after less than a week if my bills are overdue.

Suggestions and links more than welcome as ever. cheers By Jingo!

Hi by

I would advise your friend to conduct all correspondence in writing. I would also get usage statements from NP. I would also check that he's on the Tariff he originally chose, they haven't migrated him without his knowledge. Also worth finding out why they originally agreed on £24 a month, when now in effect they are demanding

£124 per month.

Making a complaint :- http://www.npower.com/web/In_business/Customer_services/Makeacomplaint/index.htm

OFGEM :- http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Consumers/Pages/Consumer.aspx?sid=frontpage

really £24 for both fuels..... you friend is well I hate to say it well.... gullible.

The avage for both is £80. It not npower at fault but the broker you choose to change supply they should of set you up on industry average.

I dont think npower scammed you i think yo ujust playing catch up with your bill.

I know npower are bad but us the customer has to challenge the salesmans claim.

it is our responsiblity as igronce is no defence in law