NatWest Diary

ruby
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent off my first letter to NatWest on 14th March informing them of the £1885 they have taken from me since 2003. I used the template letter in the library and sent it to 4 Eastcheap London EC3M 1AH using Royal Mail 'Special Delivery'

Today (28th) I received not one but two letters from NatWest(NW) St.Georges House Wimbledon London SW19 4WL. They are so efficient.

Number one letter - dated 24th March from Jay Petersen. Customer Care Team.

Number two letter - dated 27th March from H C Hughes Customer Care Team.

I won't bore you with the details but, suffice to say, both letters say how sorry they were to hear that I was upset about the charges BUT, b***er off we're not giving you a refund.

I'm just entering my charges onto the Spreadsheet that works out the 8% interest(from the Library) and then I am going to have immense pleasure going to the Moneyclaim site.

However, I am experiencing difficulties with this Spreadsheet as it is refusing to work out the days since the charge took place. I don't know whether I have downloaded it correctly but can't get it to work. I don't really want to calculate the days of each of my charges since 2003 as it will take me for ever.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I am going wrong?

Have downloaded it all again and still can't get the spreadsheet to calculate the days from my charge.

Don't know where I'm going wrong but at a bit of a dead end with it. I have not got Excel but have downloaded the alternative.

Any suggestions? Please ...

How are you entering the data? If you are copy/pasting from online statements, it is possible a 'tab' is being copied/pasted, and overwriting the date calculator formula...

If so, paste you data into a blank sheet, and copy/paste the date info as a column, and then do the same with the charges info...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I'm stumped then - I won't patronise by asking if the information is being entered in the correct cell - clearly it is...

In the cell that calculates the interest (from DATEtoTODAY) and (Interest at 8% APR) - if you put the cursor on the cell, do you get the formula coming up: =(E5*0.00022)*H5 for interest and =DATEDIF(F4,NOW(),"D") for days since offence?

If so, have you got Auto Calculate switched on in Excel? You can test this by hitting the F9 button (it will calculate immediately)

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi,

No I don't.

For the Interest calculation I get =(E4*0.00022)*H4

and for the Days since offence I get =#NAME!()

This seems a little strange. I've tried to download it about 4 times. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'll have another go but I am getting a little exasperated with it.

Are you copying and pasting the information in to the spreadsheet or typign it in manually?

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

I'm an IT Consultant, If you want to mail me the spreadsheet i can have a look for you..

Ta

EDIT

email address removed for your own privacy, please use a PM .

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

Okay - the interest calculation is working okay (H5/H4 - it's just the cell I copied...)

For the days since, you need to copy the formula into the cell =DATEDIF(F4,NOW(),"D") and in this instance paste it into cell H4

Then highlight the cell, and 'drag' the formula up and down to the point where your data runs out...this should then get it working...

MODS: it may be worth checking that the template hasn't been corrupted!

I telephoned Natwest this week after hearing about this forum. When I explained my enquiry to the person that answered the 'phone, she *immediately* transferred me to the manager of the lending centre who spent 15 minutes explaining why the Bank would not refund any fees levied on my account as a result of exceeding my overdraft limit by a small amount. I found this interesting as it is usually very difficult and time consuming to be transferred to a manager, and after all why would they want to pay for a manager to speak to me for 15 minutes if this didn't result in the Bank making money? The manager I spoke to was exceptionally knowledgable, patient and insistent on explaining their side of the story very, very fully before I could terminate the conversation. The old saying, "I think s/he doth protesteth too much" comes to mind!!

Has anyone else had this experience?

I have submitted a request for a breakdown of charges. Let's see what happens next.

Good luck to all other claimants, particularly as I don't see Natwest employing more counter staff to reduce queues in branches so that we can pay in our hard earned cash more quickly and easily!!

I still believe the best gambit is to cut to the chase - I want my money, and I want it NOW!!! Anything else they have to say is just waffle..

I completely agree, why should we not be refunded unfair penalty charges (my words, not an official term).? BUT...I work in Local Government and regularly deal with customer complaints, be they justified or not. My advice is to remember that the person who opens your letter and is told to deal with it by their boss is probably just a normal nice person like you or I, so the nicer and more genuine you appear to be from reading your letter, the more likely they are to go out of their way to help you. It's the Bank that is (allegedly..) an evil money making machine, not them personally.

Basically, if their work is anything like mine then they have a given maximum number of days to respond, and there is a bare minimum they can get away with doing. But if the letter is polite, and perhaps even a little humorous whilst still being factually correct, concise and assertive in nature then a more useful response may well be received. After all sending out standard letters all day probably isn't all that interesting for the staff member, so interest them and they'll most likely repay the favour.

I agree completely - firm, polite and fair. But the most important of the three is definitely firm. I appreciate that the person initially dealing with the enquiry is 'lowly' - so, firmly (and politely) request to be put through to the person who can resolve the issue to YOUR satisfaction, not theirs...

A quote from one of my missives to my bank:

Finally, you state that I shall be contacted once the matter has been resolved. Let me make myself perfectly clear - I will NOT be contacted when the matter has been resolved! What I requested, and what I expect, is discussion of the issues raised. At no time did I request that the issue was to be resolved at 'second contact.' The issues raised, and my concerns, can in no measure be classed as 'resolved' without further discussion between both parties, and a full and satisfactory explanation by the bank regarding those issues.

Yes, I am a bit pushy, but that is polite (technically) and is very clear on what I want...

Nothing at all wrong with being firm, but if you get the person's back up, and I'm not saying you will, but they'll probably less inclined to help you. Shouldn't be that way, but human nature is what it is.

Write a letter they'll show to other people in the office because it's quirky and I guarantee the end to standard letter responses. (I do not guarantee this at law btw).

(I do not guarantee this at law btw)

Guarantee - one of the three most dangerous words in the English language, the other two being 'promise' and 'assume'...

I do believe (and I don't believe I am wrong in this) - but most of the mods and administrators have a lot of experience in law, and its application for the common good. Additionally, I think I am right in saying that Stephen is a practicing lawyer (or at least he is on the path to becoming one)...

Thanks everyone, but, this is my thread and can I get back on track.

I was discussing the issue of the 'Spreadsheet'

Now, I am going to download it for the third time to see if I can get the thing to work. I'll let you know.

Sorry Ruby - did you get it to work by putting the formulae in the relevant cells?

Ruby are you still having problems with the spreadsheet ?

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks