Problems with a car company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5047 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm having some work done on my car, the clutch is being replaced but I recently recieved a call from the garage saying clutch cylinder needs replacing. I was arguing with the rep on the phone that this is part of the clutch job and i shouldn't be charged - the engineer said no and that they will only charge me for me the part. I later recieved a call back from the owners mother who also works in the business and said the price to do this work is £80 and we usually charge 130. I was shocked how they jumped from £56 to £80 - I was originally quoted £56 and then the owner said I override him and say that the price is £80...she wasn't listening so I asked to speak to her son tomorrow who owns the business to speak to me...I just wanted to know do I have any rights in regards of retaining that price I was told at the beginning I was never given a break down of what I will be paying for but just that it will cost me £500 for a new clutch

Hi,

I'll move this thread to a more appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi,

Unfortunately, unless the price quoted was in writing, it is a case of one person's word against another.

I'd suggest that you try to speak to the owner to ascertain the correct price.

Edited by maroondevo52
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Let's go back to basics.

We need to know what car it is for a start as you could be getting a blindingly good deal or having the michael taken out of you big time.

Next is why you felt the clutch needed changing?

Lets say that the garage is being responsible. The charge to change the slave cylinder could be reasonable if it's the part only and also could be deemed good practice. The problem I smell here is that they MIGHT have mis diagnosed what is actually wrong with the clutch and are pushing you to get the cylinder changed "as good practice" dictates i.e. they have changed the clutch and the fault is still there.

I'd be inclined to go with what they ask and pay by credit card as this does give you some further options should the need arise.

Afterall, your going to look a bit silly if you refuse the cylinder and it fails 50 miles after picking the car up.

Ask for the parts changed back as well. They will argue the clutch is exchange but they have a month to return it usually. You might be asked to pay the deposit so do it on understanding they will refund. Then just get some pics of it next to a steel rule etc.

Hopefully it won't go that far. I think it's just a case of playing them at the moment if they should step out of line and there is no evidence they have done this apart from getting an additional work recommended quote wrong.

• Haha 1