Bought a faulty car :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought a car on monday 14th June.

That night i noticed a warning light, i called on tuesday, the dealer said there is nothing wrong with the car, he knows about this warning light and had it checked out by his mechanic.

But i took it to an other garage and had it checked.

They reported that that it has a bad TCM which needs to be replaced the cost of this repair can be from £1500 and up.

I called Audi to ask about the Error code, and the warning light, they said the same thing it could be the TCM and gave the same quotation for the repairs.

I contacted consumer direct, they said I can request a refund, i should put it in writing and post it to them. I posted a letter to request a refund using the consumer direct templates. I also attached a copy of the report from the garage.

I sent the letters, one to his home address, and one to his office address.

The home address was signed for and delivered.

The Office address says he was out when it was delivered.

However he says he has not received the letter from him home too, because he does not live there, but his wife does.

I informed consumer direct with this, now they are saying, it is upto me if i want to take the car there from him to inspect before the acknowledgement that he has received our request for a refund, or i can wait till he gets the letters.

I have been told by the garage that they can turn the warning light off, but it will come back in a few days, and not to leave the car with him because he can always get a TCM from a scrap and put that on and say there is nothing wrong with the car.

If i take the car to him, he rejects my refund and turns the warning light off, and if i take it back could it mean i am accepting that he has fixed the car?

What should i do? :confused:

You could visit if you don't think it will be awkward for you to do so. You can hand in the letter personally and then you know it has been delivered.

You could also send one by normal first class post as the law states that a letter is deemed delivered 2 days after posting.

You can give him the choice, he either accepts a rejection, get it repaired properly or you take it to Audi and get it fixed and hand him the bill, let him make the choice.

You have registered your complaint with him so you won't be up against a time barrier.

If you want to keep the car, then the best way is to give him a chance to repair it. There is nothing wrong with a used part as long as it is done properly and the repair complete.

You can take it somewhere else after he has done the repair and get it checked out so that he hasn't just removed the lamp or other such trick.