Bought a van that has previous finance on it

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5031 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi CCTV

l tried asking them today what the outstanding balance on the van was but they wouldnt say, what they did say after a bit of thought was that they were legally entitled to reposses the van which to my mind it doesnt sound like its been paid up. But when l phone previous owner the wife said they had paid it off.

Confused

junior

if they will not give you the info. you will be best to call into a solicitor and ask them to get the info for you.

they can't, there are no laws allowing that in scotland.

as a side note, was the last owner in scotland too?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes previous owner stays in Scotland aswell.

l will phone back Lombard today to try and get more information from them, hopefully will speak to someone different that will provide info.

thanks for all the advice really appreciate it.

junior

Well spoke to Lombard today, still wouldnt give out how much was left to pay on it but did say that the previous owner had called them this morning saying that he had sold van to me but he said he had sold it for a lot cheaper than he actually did.

Can anyone confirm that Lombard would be getting a percentage of the final sale price, and by him giving them a lower sale price would actually be trying to save himself money.

As you can tell l dont have any knowledge of this sort of stuff, l have never had any sort of finance deals.

Again thanks for all replies

junior

nothing to do with you now, other than supplying proof of your actual payment for the van.

i would not do anymore calling

send them proof of what you brought it for & then state that you consider the matter closed.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Problem is l dont have a receipt he didnt give me one, the only thing that might help me is that the van was advertised in paper with an asking price on it which is alomst double what he told Lombard he got for it.

I'm just wary that Lombard are going to try and recover the van, when they wont give me any information on it.

junior

Problem is l dont have a receipt he didnt give me one, the only thing that might help me is that the van was advertised in paper with an asking price on it which is alomst double what he told Lombard he got for it.

I'm just wary that Lombard are going to try and recover the van, when they wont give me any information on it.

junior

you need to see a solicitor. you are covered under scots law. but was the finance done in scotland. if not you are going to have problems. even getting your money back from the last owner without a receipt.

even buying a car without doing a hpi check in scotland is not going to help.

you need to get a solicitor to send a letter to the last owner to pay the outstanding finance or return your money. or get your solicitor to find out how much is outstanding. either way you need a solicitor to talk with lambard to stop any action against you.

Again thank everyone for their replies but l feel that some of the advice is conflicting as one says Lombard can do nothing in Scotland and another saying see a solicitor.

junior

ok well i'm going by my exp and what ****** bank told me when i went through this.

if it was brought and sold & is registered in scotland it matters not where the finance was taken out,

they cannot repossess the car and they cannot force you into anything.

i gave them the info on what i paid for a vehicle [scotttish throughout its life] but the finance was with ******** a english bank car finance loan where the vehicle was specifically mentioned in its text.

they said on my van there was £3k5 outstanding from the previous owner, what did i know.

i told them and that was that.

i then went for an MOT [because it was obvious mine was faked or a backhander as the front HAD THE WRONG SIZE DISCS fitted - yes incredible i know - the MOT was date 2 days before i brought it!!]

anyhow. the MOT showed the reg plate i had was not correct [turns out is was on cloned plates]

re contact this investigator, up dated him te story, he told me the VIN checked it and my van WAS the one they were after.

he said there is nothing we can do to you, you brought the van in good faith, and we cannot seize it and that option does not exist in scottish law.

up to you,

dx

and they

Dx,

thank you for that information.

It should be the feckers that sell these financed vehicles onto innocent buyers that should really get the stress and hassle not us.

I will try and speak to my solicitor tomorrow to see if he can get any info from Lombard, it may end up with me having to go see the previous owner to try and sort this out.

junior

cuse my nose

but why have you got to do the running around.

you've done your bit, end off

i cant see any issue here.

dx

and they

Spoke to solicitor today and he said that they probaly could take the van back as it was a private sale but as Lombard are not threatening to take it back just to leave it the now and phone up the guy l bought it from and see whats he is doing about it.

junior

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say, I am in a similar situation, so will keep an eye out on this topic. RCI Finance sent Anglia repos round to me out of the blue. Seems a previous owner owes HP on my car. I can't find my receipt either. RCI won't give me any details either.

It is so so wrong that they should come after us... why are they not chasing the bar stewards that sold the car knowing it had money owing!!??

If I sell it on, does that pass the buck on to the next poor person? Its not fair. Chase the guilty party!

if it was registered sold/brought in scotland there is nowt they can do to you.

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Hi whats happening with this?

I bought a car privately 6 months ago, live in Scotland and my car was towed away almost with me in it this morning, police came advised me to get out the car and they took it away. I sat in it for 2 hours refusing to move. From my private property but at that point I didnt know about the private property part. Citroen Finance. So dont think bcos ur in scotland your safe. I would hide your van. x

but it was not the police that came they were called by the ... who called them?

dx

and they

but it was not the police that came they were called by the ... who called them?

dx

Sorry I dont understand? The police did come, it was the recovery company who called them because I wouldn't get out of the car. They were threatening to tow it away with me in it and I said fine, that obviously didn't scare me so they pretended they were phoning the police. An hour later when they realised I wasn't moving they did actually phone the police. And the police assisted them. Im going to put a complaint in I've spoke to trading standards.

quite right too

the police had no rights to allow a RECOVERY COMPANY to take the car.

they are NOT bailffs.

go get 'em

what has happened is prob illegal& the poolice should not of done whatthey did,

yet another case of even the police not knowing the diff between bailffs & debt collectors.

there are a couple of threads in the bailiffs section that are worthy of a read.

a recovery co, unless they have a court order, have no more rights than the ruddy milkman!!!

dx

and they

Yeah DX I wish I had found this thread when I was frantically sitting in my car yesterday on my iphone trying to find some sort of law against it :mad:

The police do not have a clue. I went round last night to report my car as stolen and make a complaint and again I was told to come back and speak to the police who made the mistake, they can't report my car as stolen as this is a civil matter :confused: So I'll be going in the morning.

The only thing is the CCA only applies to someone who has a product on finance or hire purchase and because I'm not the original debtor, I don't know if it applies to me. I do know that no matter who's garden it was parked in they are not allowed to take it without a court order, which they didnt have and advised me they didnt need one. I was so naive yesterday morning I'm full of information now from this site though I wish I had known all of this before I would still have my wee car :(

I have spoken to trading standards today and they are going to do the case for me against citroen to get my car back as bought it in good faith. Fingers crossed :p

• 1 month later...