• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

midge61 v Lloyds ***SETTLED IN FULL***

midge61
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been reading some of the posts and it all seems very encouraging. I have a dispute with ltsb £5318 to be exact but I did not find this site til after I started complaining. At the moment all my paperwork is with the Financial Ombudsman.

What I would like to know is will the FO be of any help and if not can I still try to claim back the excess charges from LTSB after the FO has made a decision?

Also I was interested to read the posts from the lady who also reclaimed for a loan taken out because of LTSB. How does that work?

Sorry if this is not clear:grin:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I started a complaint against LLOYDS TSB via the OB before I found this site. I had banked with them from 2nd March 2004 until March 2006. I had one bad month about 3months after opening the account and got clobbered with a fistful of charges and it was downhill from there. I even took out 2 loans during that period to beat the bank charges,failed payments and charges from other because of failed payments! In December last year I had to open a new account elsewhere just so I could pay the bills instead of the charges. I contacted LLOYDS and asked them to freeze the overdraft and let me pay back what I could each month but surprise suprise they said no. In the end I took out a secured loan to clear everything. I told them what date the money would go into my account but 4 days before that date they threatened me with a default so I raided my othe account and incurred charges there!!! and they very nicely told me to take my business elsewhere!!! How nice of the Smilie Bankers. Anyway I paid a large cheque for £13500 into my account on a Friday checked on their website how long it would take to clear and it clearly stated the money would be mine on the third working day ( what it didnt say was that was for Loyyds cheques only!) so I arranged 4 payments to go out on the Tuesday only to find out on the Thursday that they didnt!!! and ofcourse I got charged £140. When all payments and transfers were done I went in and closed the account but they withheld £140 and £82 in overdraft excess fees I argued that this was in dispute and they should give me my moneybut they refused. If I hadn't had my 10yold with me I think I may have got arrested. I wrote and complained and got a crappy reply, I answered unhappy and they ignored me. I then complained to Ombudsman and today Lloyds have written offering me £140 ( how kind).

Anyway my question(after all this) is they have asked me to accept this as full and final settlement of my concern, if I agree does this mean that I cannot persue them for the £5113 that they also managed to take from me in the unfortunate 19months that I allowed them to rob me?

Is it acceptable for me to sign this and then in a few days start reclaiming the rest?

Thankyou

HI, welcome aboard.

You do not have to accept that, and I would strobgly advice you not to.

Have a good read through the FAQ section including the step-by-step guides etc and become familiar with the process of reclaiming.

If you don't already have a full history of statements then yor first step will be to issue a request for information under the Data Protection Act - A Subject Access Request.

Good luck, keep reading...

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a long telephone conversation with the Financial Ombudsman Service and a nice women explained to me that if they were to go involved with a case of this nature, they would look at the terms and conditions of the account and further ensure the bank have complied with these and also what is set down by the banking code. I was further advised that the FOS would not be able to in it's juristiction to decide whether the charges are fair and reasonable and if indeed were contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as only a COURT could decide this. The women who I spoke to recommended pursuing the case directly with the bank and ultimately taking the bank to COURT. So therefore, do not waste both your time with the Ombudsman and take your case to COURT.

HI mooreada,

I had already gone to the FO before I found this site but the actual complaint was about 4 specific charges and Lloyds did actually offer a full refund of those charges. That is what I have refused and now commenced with the process from this site to get the rest. So I would say that for a small amount if you can give a good enough reason i.e in my case I said that the imformation I read on Lloyds site was wrong and misleading then it can work.

Well done so far......

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi all

Well I now have my lba all done ready to post tomorrow. I'm sennding it in the envelope they kindly provided for me and I have also enclosed the following letter for the nice Dawn Barlow

Lloyds TSB

125 Colmore Row

Birmingham

B3 3SF

Re: Account number 1388470

Response to settlement offer.

Dear Ms Barlow

Thank you for your letter dated 7/9/2006

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totaling £ 5306.00.

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and fully intend to recover the full amount. My letter before action is enclosed with another copy of the charges schedule.

I would have hoped that you would have extended your gesture of goodwill to paying the full amount asked for especially with the OFT now beginning their preliminary investigation into bank charges.

I also feel that the shareholders would prefer that you were not paying out more than is necessary. Once I file my claim with the courts Lloyds will have to pay a further one thousand pounds on top of my schedule due to compound interest and court costs being added. Surely it would look better for the bank if they are seen to be dealing quickly and amicably with such claims and not paying out more than necessary.

None of the banks have been prepared to actually step into a court room and defend their ‘charges’ so why do they waste money on pretending that they are going to.

As stated in my letter before action if I do not get a satisfactory answer to this letter I will proceed to make my claim in court.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

Midge61

Don't expect it to do any good but you never know!

Hi midge61,

That's a really good letter, but as you say, don't expect it to do any good. The only language Lloyds understand is a court summons.

Doing great so far!

Gary

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

It's not so much a case that the Ombudsman has so little power Princess Ivy, it's more a case of inclination I feel. Obviously I can't say whether they'd be inclined or not, but I'll let their action to date speak for itself.

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

The ombudsman is powerless in these cases, as well the banks know. All they can do is arbitrate over complaints based on the facts in front of them, ie, the terms and conditions of the account. They have no jurisdiction whatsoever on the legalities of those terms and conditions, so could'nt possibly rule against a bank. Only a court can do that. Don't waste the time and paper.

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Hi all

Well tomorrow is 7 days since I sent lba so still waiting for next fob off letter. Will start to get money claim ready for next week but do'nt know if I will have the funds as snatch west seem to be using my account as thier personal piggy bank at the moment £1700 in 2 months the b****ards. Written to them twice now about my circumstances and as they did'nt reply first time have said I feel they are in breach of banking code and informed my MP Jeremy Browne. So money claim depends on whether they use my wages for a weekend jolly or they let me have some!!

Hi all

Well I have had a reply to my lba from Annelouise Tisdall Assistant Manager. In it she says she thought my complaint to the ombudsman was just about the £140 of charges and apologises for the confusion. I did initially complain about this but in the section of the form to the ombudsman that asks how you want the problem to be resolved I did state that I would like the remainding amount of charges refunded as well.

It goes on in the usual fob off way, Charges are valid blah blah blah...

She says they cannot pay the £5306 but as a gesture of goodwill they are offering me £980.

Then she says this is in full and final settlement but if I go back to the ombudsman and they start an investigation it will be withdrawn.

So do I now write back and say I accept as partial payment and that I will continue to start my claim through the courts next Thursdasy the 29th which is the 14 day deadline?

Thanks in advance

Firstly - well done for contacting your MP. The more members of this group that do that the better. Also, what about writing to the OFT? They're the ones who could (and should!!!!) be putting a stop to all this once and for all, but they seem to be in a constant state of ditherance (erm.. is that even a word? anyway...) over wether to act or not. Again, the more pressure they get from us the better.

Anyway, wether you accept as part payment or not is up to you. If you do though, be careful what you sign and make it ABSOLUTELY clear that you only accept as a partial settlement and will be pursueing the rest. In fact, when you tell them that, they may well just withdraw the offer. If I were you, I'd just tell them to stick it and just go for the lot. But thats up to you of course.

Hi Micheal

Thanks for that will do it tonight.

Hi Gary

In the letter she says:

" We don't agree with the OFT's thinking on credit card default charges and we're still talking it through with them.But the important point is that the guidelines only concern 'default' charges. The fees we charge for going over an overdraft limit and for returned payments are not any kind of default penalty. They are fixed standard prices for the service we provide in these situations. so according to our legal experts, the OFT's guidelines on credit card default charges so not in any way apply."

I was going to let the ombusdman know that I am taking legal action to recover the charges as I was not satisfied with their reply. Don't know if that will do any good though.

Will write to OFT as well though.

wow - on the amount of charges you are claiming I would also hit Lloyds in addition to the charges and interest being claimed - with a sum for the time taken to deal with your case and also a sum of compensation for the distress and financial hardship they have caused you!

Hi Micheal

Thanks for that will do it tonight.

Hi Gary

In the letter she says:

" We don't agree with the OFT's thinking on credit card default charges and we're still talking it through with them.But the important point is that the guidelines only concern 'default' charges. The fees we charge for going over an overdraft limit and for returned payments are not any kind of default penalty. They are fixed standard prices for the service we provide in these situations. so according to our legal experts, the OFT's guidelines on credit card default charges so not in any way apply."

I was going to let the ombusdman know that I am taking legal action to recover the charges as I was not satisfied with their reply. Don't know if that will do any good though.

Will write to OFT as well though.

That paragraph is just the standard rubbish, and rubbish it undoubtably is. It does not matter a toss wether Lloyds TSB "agree" with the OFT or not. Their charges absolutely ARE default chages - default charges which they are pathetically trying to 'cloak' as service charges. Luckily for us, this arguement would never stand up in a court - its a commonly and historically used tactic and the courts are well aware of it. The OFT said in their report that they expected the financial institutions NOT to try to disguise their penaltys in this way. The OFT have the clout and the capability - and a DUTY for that matter - to take positive action, but at the moment they are stuck in no mans land. They've ruled that default penaltys are unlawful, but they're seemingly unwilling to do sod all about it, even though they have a responsibility to.

As for the Ombudsman, by all means write if you want, but as I said in a post before, they have no power in this situation.

Thanks for the reply. I was only thinking of letting the ombudsman know because that is how all this started and I know the banks don't particularly like it if they are involved even as you say they really don't do much and have no power.

Anyway letter of refusal going off in the morning.