Rent increase. Is this fair?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have ben in a rented property for 17 months. There are 3 identical houses all owned by the same landlord and managed by the same company. At the end of our first 12 months we had a letter saying that the rent was to be increased by £20 a month.

Today we find out from speaking to our next door neighbour that her rent has never increaed over the 3 years she has lived in the house and she is currently paying £20 less than us each month. The tennants on the other side have only been in the property for 8 months so thier rent is also still at the old rate. I know when we moved in the rent was fixed for 12months so wasnt too surprised when we got the increase letter at the end of the 12 month period. However Im annoyed that our other side neighbour has never had an increase. Im going to ring the agent on Monday but dont suppose I will get far with them.

Am I right to feel niggled?

Well it may be that the LL has only recently decided to increase the rent, and is raising the rent as and when contracts come to an end, whereas your neighbours are still in the middle of current contracts.

It may be that the LL has taken a view that he doesn't want to upset someone who has already stayed for 3 years, but for some reason is less concerned about upsetting you!

It may be that the houses aren't totally identical.

It maybe that the mortgage on your property needs to be renewed, but the current level of the rent does not adequately cover the mortgage.

Assuming the LL is following the correct procedure, he is entitled to charge what he thinks he can. If you feel the rent is too high, you have the right to move on or try and negotiate - but other than asking for a rent assessment (which probably won't help you, and will annoy the LL and may result in your eviction) there is little you can do to stop the rent going up if the LL decides not to negotiate.

If you want to negotiate, then also compare with houses other than those of your neighbours. It may be that your rent is fair but your neighbours' rent is cheap.

Thanks Steve. I take all those comments on board. However in response to the points you make-

The houses are identical in every way.

There are 3 in a row all owned by the same landlord and rented out by the same company.

They were built 6 years ago and have been on permanent rental from new.

As far as the upsetting bit goes, I dont know why this would be as we have decorated ours, put new carpets down and improved the garden whilst the neighbour paying less rent next door, whilst not a bad person, lets her child crayon on the walls, has had them replace windows twice in the last 12 months because her ex has been round and put the window through and is- by her own addmission 3 months in arrears with her rent. She has survived one eviction notice by being bailed out by her brother.

Our rent has always been paid on time and the rental office has already told us that they wish they had all there houses occipied by people like us. Im not saying we are a landlords dream but my opinion is that we have to call it home so want to look after it whilst we are in it. I cant think its a ploy to get rid of us.

I think whats oirked me as well is that another house in the close has come empty and is up for rent from a different company an thats £70 a month cheaper. (and before anyone says- I do understand that we chose to take this house and its just a case of green eyed monster - but Im still a bit miffed)

• 1 month later...

Update on this.

We spoke to the landlords agents who told us that

'All 3 houses are owned by the same property company and all have the same rent other than the one that is still in its first 12 month contract term. The rent will be increased on all 3 eventually, its just that we havnt had time to sort the other out yet. Dont worry, you wont be paying more than next door'

6 months since ours was increased and they havnt had time to do the other yet?