• Tweets

• In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
    • I've looked at your case specifically more.   Term 8bii reads " when, in accordance with instructions from the Customer or the Consignee, the Consignment is left in a safe place" Their terms choose to not define safe, so they are put to proof that the location is safe. If your property opens onto a street its a simple thing of putting a google earth image and pointing out that its not a safe place
    • New rules and higher rates resulted in a jump in the number of savers opening accounts at the start of this year's Isa season.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS Mint Loan - Court Action Started & Dodgy DN issues

Pumpkinhead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm working on my Skelly. Do I have to file this at the Court before the hearing tomorrow or can I take it with me or fax/email it over? Do I also have to email a copy to the Sols in advance of tomorrow

My opinions are not expressed as an agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. My advice is given freely but please remember to always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star below.

You could send it - you don't actually strictly need one - although as your argument is actually reasonably simple it is well worth getting it into Court so that it can be read in advance.

You *must* have it for your own notes

5 guests :):lol:

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

I'm flattered that I'm so popular! Just sending you a PM BTW.

My opinions are not expressed as an agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. My advice is given freely but please remember to always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star below.

@CAR - have you got the reference case law or Goode quote or whatever it is that says that a creditor when they fall foul of the CCA do not have a right to err whatever it's called under Common Law - basically if they lose their money because they mess up on the CCA they cannot then claim under Common Law.

There is an actual black and white quote somewhere - if I could remember the proper word above then I might have more luck with Google myself :(

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

No, that wasn't the one it's along the line s of these

I will also refer to the web site of Francis Bennion, the drafts person of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and note in particular a PDF document that the honourable Mr. Bennion has published which states:

"As the draftsman of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 I would like to thank Dr. Richard Lawson for his interesting and well-argued article (30th August 2003) on Wilson v First County Trust Ltd [2003] UKHL 40 [2003] 4 All ER 97. Dr Lawson may be interested to know that I included the provision in question (section 127(3)) entirely on my own initiative. It seemed right to me that if the creditor company couldn't be bothered to ensure that all the prescribed particulars were accurately included in the credit agreement it deserved to find it unenforceable , and that the court should not have power to relieve it from this penalty. Nobody queried this, and it went through Parliament without debate. I'm glad the House of Lords has now vindicated my reasoning and confirmed that nobody's human rights were infringed. (167 Justice of the Peace (2003) 773)

Should the claimant seek to rely upon the fact that they can show that the

defendant has had benefit of the monies and therefore the defendant is liable, I refer to and draw the courts attention to the judgment of Sir Andrew Morritt in the case of Wilson v First County Trust Ltd - [2001] 3 All ER 229, [2001] EWCA Civ 633 in the Court of Appeal at para 26:

"In effect, the creditor--by failing to ensure that he obtained a document signed by the debtor which contained all the prescribed terms--must (in the light of the provisions in s65(1) and 127(3) of the 1974 Act) be taken to have made a voluntary disposition, or gift, of the loan moneys to the debtor. The creditor had chosen to part with the moneys in circumstances in which it was never entitled to have them repaid;"

But it specifically answers the question of whether there is any route via Common Law when a creditor has lost its rights under teh CCA (or to be strict it never became entitled to the repayment of teh capital or any earlier repayment of any other sum)

Thanks for this gh. Would you have a look at my skelly for me later on?

In respect of gh's earlier post, does anyone know which part of these Acts/Regulations I should be referring to:

BTW you will also have an argument for an Unfair Relationship (CCA S140) and breaches of the CPUTR as they are aware of their situation yet have still demanded full balance etc on may occasions
and does anyone know where I can find the quote gh is thinking about:

@CAR - have you got the reference case law or Goode quote or whatever it is that says that a creditor when they fall foul of the CCA do not have a right to err whatever it's called under Common Law - basically if they lose their money because they mess up on the CCA they cannot then claim under Common Law.

There is an actual black and white quote somewhere - if I could remember the proper word above then I might have more luck with Google myself :(

Black and white quote from Car2403;

"Restitution"

That is all...

:dance:

Black and white quote from Car2403;

"Restitution"

That is all...

:dance:

Cheers

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?87146-CCA74-NO-CREDIT-AGREEMENT-claim-all-monies-back&p=796630&viewfull=1#post796630

there you are ph lots of quotes for you in there :-)

Original is here - http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200203/ldjudgmt/jd030710/will-1.htm

Edited by gh2008
added link to the original

I cannot see a problem posting your skeleton as an attachment here for others to comment on as well

They are relying on their rights accrued at termination.

You are agreeing with that (although date of termination is arguable as being the date they notified you they had terminated rather than the date you accepted)

They say they had a right to the capital (although that is NOT what they are claiming as they are claiming the balance i.e. including all interest charges etc.)

This is a Common Law idea they are arguing that you have been unjustly enriched and they want their money back

They have not provided any term within the CCA nor caselaw to back up their argument that they have a right to the capital advanced (i.e. earlier repayment) on demand. There is just a lot of waffle trying trying to build a moral Common Law argument without actually saying that.

You will say that the CCA does not allow for a creditor to demand earlier repayment of any sums. At the time of termination they had a right to the sums already due, but NOT to the earlier repayment of any other sum.

This is, as you have already argued, equal to the lawful arrears at termination.

There is no term in the T&Cs that allows them to add interest to the arrears, nor is there any term that allows them to add post termination interest.

You have argued from the beginning that you do owe lawful arrears at termination, however neither they nor the OC have been willing to give you that amount to enable you to pay.

HOWEVER, due to their treatment of you, in demanding th balance unlawfully etc etc they are in breach of the CPUTR and probably teh Enterprise Act as well (search OFT publications for that)

This has caused you prejudice and the Courts powers in these cases are very extensive and you would invite the Court to decide on an appropriate remedy

again, just mho & rambling thoughts? I would hope for further comments ..... anyone??

Here's my skelly so far. I will work on my schedule of costs now. Eagerly await constructive comments.

Skeleton Argument - CAG.doc

7.1 & 7.2

claimant's argument was that it had accrued the right to the repayment of the capital advanced - well that's my understanding

defendant's argument is that it had only accrued the right's to the sums already due and payable until the termination - no rights or entitlement to any earlier repayment of any other sums

31 - quote S87 here I think and check S99 as well as that is the only other way of termination i think (also not valid as no notice served)

34 - I would not argue the termination as unfair - there is no prejudice to you from that termination. so having terminated the agreement, then demanded balance without any right to .... etc

You wouldn't want the DJ agreeing it was unfair and reinstating the agreement would you .....??

37 again no prejudice re termination

35 you *may* want to put in there about any redress the Court sees fit against the amount lawfully owing.

You *may* not want to make that exact offer at all and let the Court decide ..... after all you have requested the figure many times now

Edited by gh2008

The important thing to remember is that the Claimant never had 'the right' to the capital being repaid other than by the terms of the agreement.

It never had any right to demand earlier repayment of any sum.

To BECOME ENTITLED the creditor had to follow the law as laid down by the CCA - it chose to ignore that Law and therefore has to bear the consequences of its actions

imho of course :D

Thanks gh. I've made those alterations and removed any reference to the termination being unlawful. Can you have a check through for me. I haven't included a quote of s99 in point 31 as this refers to hire purchase agreements only.

I'm still working on the costs bit.

Skeleton Argument - CAG.doc

Here's my schedule of costs. What do you reckon? Attachment removed for updating.

Edited by Pumpkinhead
amended attachment

Thanks frettful - I've amended it now.

looks very good to me ph - bit way about the last para ... I cannot see how it could be reinstated without your agreement and there is something in the CCA about it I am sure but I can't find it

Costs look *very* reasonable

Seriously good luck today :D :D

Keep it Simple

I would take the full details of the Restitution quote as there are other parts as well that may be useful

Hopefully some others will post their views .....

morning guests :lol:

Well and after all that build up I arrive at the Court to find that counsel for the otherside was unable to make it due to weather so judge had agreed to an adjournment. Bit miffed as I rang and left a message for their Barrister yesterday regarding weather issues but she never bothered to call me back. Where I live there is a good 8 inches of snow and I've managed to dig my 1 litre engine car out and get to a main road. No snow at the court anyway. Also I believe the train service is still operating from the city (South West) where the barrister is based, to the station virtually next to the Court up here!

Oh well, I suppose I will just have to wait now to give them my christmas present or should I say bombshell. Can't say too much on here on it will spoil their surprise when the case does get heard.

I will continue developing my skelly and my list of questions for the cross examination.

Well, IMHO that can only add to the unreasonable way they have treated you. They bother to inform the Court - but not you ........ not good

They *must* have informed the Court as otherwise it would have been heard without them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks