• Tweets

• Fart: “Boorish cartoon misogynist.” “Cheeto-dusted cartoon villain.”      Michael Cohen says he used to be ‘knee deep in cult’ of Trump as he stands firm in fiery cross-examination ‘Knee-deep in the cult’: Michael Cohen holds his ground against Trump’s attorneys WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Trump’s attorneys want to undermine the former ‘fixer’ after damning testimony connected him to a criminal hush money scheme   Doesn't nodfathers lawyers/fans realise that anything they say about cohen being a crim reflects mostly on the guy he was crimming for? aka Trump LOL
    • Notice how Kev goes about his scam.  In Kahunaburger's case they left the car park well before the time shown on the ticket they had purchased.  But because Kev added on the time taken to look for a parking spot and queue to pay/try to get an internet signal he still sent them an invoice. So If you had left before the Justpark message, say at 3:55, Kev would still have managed to turn that into a stay of 4:06 and thus an overstay and an invoice. Unfortunately for Kev, judges have ruled against his reasoning.  Have a read of this famous case  http://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2014/03/waiting-for-space-is-not-parking.html  
    • Its okay - It happens. And this is why DCAs  user every trick in the book to try and make you crack.  Now its time to come back.    Im not sure how to proceed if Im honest if they have issued a Letter Of Claim.  Only as You could complain to Oakbrook and they still proceed with Legal Proceedings, but I dont know if that would help or hinder the legal proceedings if they began down that avenue.  I know a FOS complaint wouldnt stop Legal Action and probably run along side it.  But I guess a judge would view a disputed balance with the original creditor as cause for concern whether the DCA's claim is valid?    A bit of a muddle.     
    • That is superb. To answer your question - Dear Mr Dhaliwal Change the sentence - As our disabilities were ignored and disregarded for the time taken I believe this is discrimination against us ... To - As our disabilities were ignored and disregarded for the time taken I believe this is discrimination against us contrary to the Equality Act 2010. Iceland have always been useless, not only in your case but in others, but I think if they realise they are breaking the law it will encourage them to act. I also think the letter is overlong and you could lose the paragraph - I cannot afford any unfair charges of this kind as I am severely struggling financially. I cannot work and am a carer for my disabled Son who also has a mental and mobility disability. I obviously do not have any disposable income and am in debt with my bills. So its an absolute impossibility for me to pay this incorrect charge - as the main points are made elsewhere.  
    • Hands up in the fact that i have probably F***** *P!!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS Mint Loan - Court Action Started & Dodgy DN issues

Pumpkinhead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is why there's talk of appeals, as no, that isn't right, although yes, it is the way that it seems to work.

I don't blame them, really, as Judges see vexatious defences against justified claims - it's a struggle to win them over, as these companies "surely aren't wrong", when this individual defendant can't possibly be "right about them".

Just a shame we don't have any Judges on CAG, in'nit?! (Or do we? Lol)

Hi

I am not so sure i think an argument could be made that since the termination was accepted then the debtor themselves permited the next step to be taken.

It is an arguable point.

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well yes that is the way i see it but the debtor would have to remove the protection of section 87 by accepting that the account had been terminated after default.

Peter

Hi PB, have I read this right? Does the debtor responding to an invalid DN and accepting termination on the back of that remove the section 87 protection for the creditor as the post above reads? This of course is opposite to what I believe you've argued for many months as the termination can't exist due to the DN therefore nothing to accept on the part of the debtor. Have I misunderstood the context perhaps?

Just a thought wasn't Pumpkin accepting the termination on the principle that only the arrears were owing?

A creditor at the end of the day terminates an agreement with the belief that they have done everything correctly and to the letter of the law, we all know that this isn't always right. They can get a second go so why can't we.

Pumpytums

I just want to say that no-one on CAG has ever forced me to accept their opinions. I class myself as a pretty bright individual and certainly old enough to make my own decisions as to whether I accept other people's advice or not. I felt it was worth a "gamble" this time for want of a better word.

Having looked at the posts since Friday, I must admit I've found it difficult to understand what some of these are really saying. So please humour me and remember that I am after all a LIP. I am unclear as to whether or not it might be worth launching an appeal in my case.

My opinions are not expressed as an agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. My advice is given freely but please remember to always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star below.

I just want to say that no-one on CAG has ever forced me to accept their opinions. I class myself as a pretty bright individual and certainly old enough to make my own decisions as to whether I accept other people's advice or not. I felt it was worth a "gamble" this time for want of a better word.

Having looked at the posts since Friday, I must admit I've found it difficult to understand what some of these are really saying. So please humour me and remember that I am after all a LIP. I am unclear as to whether or not it might be worth launching an appeal in my case.

Well, IMHO you can only make that decision on what went on on Friday, the amount awarded and the argument used for that amount.

It may be that you will need a full transcript of the hearing to properly assess the situation.

Remember that anybody's opinion, not backed up by caselaw or Law itself is just that opinion, some will remind others of that all the time, whilst some may well forget to remind readers that they are offering an opinion rather than fact.

I for one know how you took this case on and you were aware of the fact you were 'pushing at boundaries'

Of course the other side were also fully aware of every aspect of your argument before you walked into the room, which is also a distinct disadvantage.

This case tested a theory put forward over several years - is that theory dead? maybe, maybe not, difficult without a transcript to really know how solid an argument there was.

Just my rambling thoughts ....

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Hi PB, have I read this right? Does the debtor responding to an invalid DN and accepting termination on the back of that remove the section 87 protection for the creditor as the post above reads? This of course is opposite to what I believe you've argued for many months as the termination can't exist due to the DN therefore nothing to accept on the part of the debtor. Have I misunderstood the context perhaps?

Hi

Well it seems so in pumpkins case. This is a possibility i proofered some months ago.

In truth i connot reconcile this action with my understanding of the cca.It seems to me to chort circuit the requiremeent of

To me section 87 says far more than just terminate it goes on to say demand early repayment, even if the debtor fills the termination reqiuirement himself i cannot see how the court can go on to carry out the rest of the enforcement without a valid DN.

I think what happened here is that the DJ saw a way of getting the case dealt with, he had a default that was not in question he had a legal termination, so he thought why not.

I would like more information abouit what was actually said, i think it is something to bare in mind though before accepting a termination

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Interestingly, for those that have read the WS, the Claimant was not relying on their DN faulty as it was. They accepted it was faulty and accepted they terminated without the benefit of S87

They then argued that whether they comply with S87 or not they still have Common Law right to the repayment of the debt.

The Defendant argued that they did not

The Claimant won and therefore as far as this DJ is concerned there is no need for a DN at all as the Creditor can terminate at any time and at the time of termination has the full rights to immediate repayment of the balance outstanding.

No need for S87 notice

No need for S99 notice

Just terminate & make the demand.

And, as far as explicitly accepting termination, as PH was unable to pay she would have implicitly accepted by her actions anyway

Well, that's how I see THIS case, so jmho

Is the WS on here. Was it produced after the termination was accepted by the OP?

Peter

Just a thought wasn't Pumpkin accepting the termination on the principle that only the arrears were owing?

A creditor at the end of the day terminates an agreement with the belief that they have done everything correctly and to the letter of the law, we all know that this isn't always right. They can get a second go so why can't we.

Pumpytums

Hi

There is no justifiation for thnking only arrears are owing on a credit accout, all the lianilities under it are alway due.

When a debtor defaults and enforcement occurs he loosees the right to repay by the method itemised in the agrement(installment) that is all.

If the arrears are poaid as per the Default notice then the creditor cannot enforce, the enforce procedure commences with termination.If the court finds that the notice was defective then the enforcement is not justified and the hearing should come to an end,by whatever means the court decides.

The main thing is that the debtor must then be given the correct information to nremedy and a further 14 days before any other enforcement can commence again starting with a termination.

This is i think what should happen, i suspect that short cuts have ben made in this area for some time in the lower courts.

Peter

Hi

OK then domt see why i cannot reproduce this from the judgement

HHJ Chambers QC

"The notice of enforcement was a statutory pre-condition of enforcement. It was a bad notice and enforcement cannot be attempted in dependence upon it. However, bad notices can often be remedied by the service of good notices and I see no reason why that should not be so in respect of credit agreements"

Section 75

Precis of Judgement by DJ.docI've typed up a rough precis of the DJ's judgement from Friday and this is now attached.

My opinions are not expressed as an agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. My advice is given freely but please remember to always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star below.

Ok, so they terminated - that is agreed

The DN was invalid - that is agreed

The claim is made NOT ON THE BACK OF A DN or relying on a DN at all - important point!!

The claim has now been made purely as a Common Law debt - fair enough

The BIG question is what is lawfully owed??

With a CCA the creditor is NEVER entitled to earlier repayment of any sum (Unless by way of service of a valid DN or valid notice of termination giving requisite notice etc etc - and even teh latter is a bit dodgy)

SO imho at the end of teh agreement, creditor had not become entitle to repayment of teh capital or the balance, but only sums already due to that point.

Now please argue against me, but back up arguments with facts rather than just opinions. I have stated why I think teh creditor never became entitled to more than arrears at termination.

I accept that by Common Law that amount is owing, however I do see how any more can be owing

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

[ATTACH]25470[/ATTACH]I've typed up a rough precis of the DJ's judgement from Friday and this is now attached.

hi

Is there ny chance you could copy and paste it on the thread, i am unable to open attached files on here

Peter

Is the WS on here. Was it produced after the termination was accepted by the OP?

Peter

original POC, amended POC and WS are all on the thread.

Claimant accepted DN was invalid and therefore claim did not rely on it at all

They are claiming that their benefits did not cease at termination (accepted) what is being argued is the amount they are entitled to at Common Law at terimation

i.e. at the point of termination, whatever was lawfully owing became a simple debt

But how much was that simple debt??

It is actually a very interesting argument ....

Hi

OK then domt see why i cannot reproduce this from the judgement

HHJ Chambers QC

"The notice of enforcement was a statutory pre-condition of enforcement. It was a bad notice and enforcement cannot be attempted in dependence upon it. However, bad notices can often be remedied by the service of good notices and I see no reason why that should not be so in respect of credit agreements"

Section 75

My highlight

In THIS case the Claimant is NOT depending on the DN at all - they accept it was invalid

original POC, amended POC and WS are all on the thread.

Claimant accepted DN was invalid and therefore claim did not rely on it at all

They are claiming that their benefits did not cease at termination (accepted) what is being argued is the amount they are entitled to at Common Law at terimation

i.e. at the point of termination, whatever was lawfully owing became a simple debt

But how much was that simple debt??

It is actually a very interesting argument ....

GH

Another very good point (as usual!). BTW can anyone remind me when the Brandon appeal is due to be heard?

I'm so confused now that I'm not sure if this will help Pumpy or not - but it should surely overturn the Brandon verdict - which was totally perverse!

BD

Ok, so they terminated - that is agreed

The DN was invalid - that is agreed

The claim is made NOT ON THE BACK OF A DN or relying on a DN at all - important point!!

The claim has now been made purely as a Common Law debt - fair enough

The BIG question is what is lawfully owed??

With a CCA the creditor is NEVER entitled to earlier repayment of any sum (Unless by way of service of a valid DN or valid notice of termination giving requisite notice etc etc - and even teh latter is a bit dodgy)

SO imho at the end of teh agreement, creditor had not become entitle to repayment of teh capital or the balance, but only sums already due to that point.

Now please argue against me, but back up arguments with facts rather than just opinions. I have stated why I think teh creditor never became entitled to more than arrears at termination.

I accept that by Common Law that amount is owing, however I do see how any more can be owing

HI i dont know if this is addressed to me but anyway.

I to have a problem with the logic of how the court could alow an order for early repayment without a vaid DN.

I can understand that the agrment was terminated ther was mintion of reudiation perhaps the court thought that this none acceptance of the contract by the debtor enabled them to enforc the recovery of liabilities as per common law.

I dont know

Peter

GH

Another very good point (as usual!). BTW can anyone remind me when the Brandon appeal is due to be heard?

I'm so confused now that I'm not sure if this will help Pumpy or not - but it should surely overturn the Brandon verdict - which was totally perverse!

BD

Wish you would get over my spelling probems, i did 50 years ago.

I wanted to know why you thought the recent verdict affected or was likely to have an effect on the brandon case.

peter

Peter, I fully understand your view on termination.

HOWEVER, n-one (including you) has answered my question as to how and when the creditor becomes entitled to the earlier repayment of the debt when they terminate (under contractual law)

I still do not see how they gain that entitlement. The CCA is quite clear they are NOT entitled to it, unless they accurately go through a few hoops.

The contract does NOT state that from Day 1 the debtor is liable to reapy the debt any faster than the contract states (unless by debtors agreement, or on proper notice governed by the CCA etc)

So, this contract does NOT allow a demand for earlier payment at all.

Under the terms of the contract how does the debtor suddenly become liable for the capital/balance ???

(IMHO this argument is the main argument of both PH's case AND all the others regarding terminating under Common Law)

BTW I accept teh debt becomes an 'ordinary debt' - it is how much that 'ordinary debt (or liability) is'

HOWEVER, n-one (including you) has answered my question as to how and when the creditor becomes entitled to the earlier repayment of the debt when they terminate (under contractual law)

I still do not see how they gain that entitlement. The CCA is quite clear they are NOT entitled to it, unless they accurately go through a few hoops.

The contract does NOT state that from Day 1 the debtor is liable to reapy the debt any faster than the contract states (unless by debtors agreement, or on proper notice governed by the CCA etc)

Under the terms of the contract how does the debtor suddenly become liable for the capital/balance ???

(IMHO this argument is the main argument of both PH's case AND all the others regarding terminating under Common Law)

BTW I accept teh debt becomes an 'ordinary debt' - it is how much that 'ordinary debt (or liability) is'

Hi

You are correct the creditor cannot enforce after a termination under a contractural provision that is not what i said with respect i said he can demand payment , he can under section 76, and on running account credit i think there is even a template for this in the regs.But he cannot enforce without first issuing a compliant DN

Peter

(IMHO this argument is the main argument of both PH's case AND all the others n Law)

Sorry missed yhour question about how the debtor becomes liable for the full ballance. The answer is he always was these are actual liabilities under thr contract, real money owed. They are not genuine pre estimate of costs or damages or future liabilities, that cannot be claimed on a contractural termination they are actual liabilities.

They will be due and payable however the agremnt is terminated until they are repayed.

Peter

I preface this comment by saying I am no expert on common law debts or contracts, but I think in common law a party would probably be awarded all sums it could prove were reasonably owed. In this day and age and with the judiciary so obviously in favour of the banks I would expect them to be awarded every penny they allege is owed via the accounts statements.

However I do not believe common law can EVER be used in argument in a regulated agreement and all credit debts must by definition be so regulated.

PS: I am not convinced creditors can arbitrarily terminate a non-defaulted running-account by giving notice. Why would they need to when the can restrict or defer credit. I believe such 'convenience' clauses may fall foul of the fairness section of the Act.

Edited by basa48

I preface this comment by saying I am no expert on common law debts or contracts, but I think in common law a party would probably be awarded all sums it could prove were reasonably owed. In this day and age and with the judiciary so obviously in favour of the banks I would expect them to be awarded every penny they allege is owed via the accounts statements.

However I do not believe common law can EVER be used in argument in a regulated agreement and all credit debts must by definition be so regulated.

PS: I am not convinced creditors can arbitrarily terminate a non-defaulted running-account by giving notice. Why would they need to when the can restrict or defer credit. I believe such 'convenience' clauses may fall foul of the fairness section of the Act.

oft post contract infomation

6.8 Under section 98 of the 1974 Act, the creditor is not entitled to

terminate a regulated agreement (in non-default cases) unless he

provides the debtor with a notice of his intention to terminate at least

seven days before taking such action.

6.9 Enforcement and termination notices are not needed where an

agreement is for an indefinite duration or where notice is served at the

end of the period specified in the agreement for its duration.

An example of a high court judge upholding the CCA? We have it here with MBNA. Considering the debt was in excess of 20k I assume the bank would have lavished a sufficient amount of effort on obtaining good counsel, which begs the question...why did they not try to recover the debt under common law?

Presumably, they can't as there was no 'stepping outside of' the CCA? We have seen the attempt and success though using common law as a 'back up' when the creditor messes up so why not here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12622318

Also confirms the court can just wipe out the debt and deny the creditor even though it may be a touch harsh for the bank - they know the rules however and what is expected of them if they wish to play with the grown ups so refreshing to see a judge uphold the requirements and not remove consumer rights.

Given this approach is it too hard for us to believe a creditor who deprives you of your rights and terminates on a dodgy DN can also expect to lose their entitlement to sums not yet payable? After all, the act states that terms and conditions should be supplied, don't recall it saying they must be supplied but perhaps I'll go check that out and examine the terminology unless anyone else knows off hand?

The judge could have (in the style of a default notice issue post termination and during litigation) told the bank to hand the defendant a set of T&C's so that magically everything is alright, but he didn't. Clearly he recognised there is a procedure in place that must be followed in order with no skipping about to correct previous mistakes as we see in default and termination disputes. Here we actually see an order in how the creditor must have behaved and the judge deemed that order must have been followed.

We therefore end up with clarity and order so the letters of the law are lined up correctly to see A, C, E, F, R for example instead of the order we've seen recently concerning default and termination confusion that instead comes out as F, A, R, C, E.

An example of a high court judge upholding the CCA? We have it here with MBNA. Considering the debt was in excess of 20k I assume the bank would have lavished a sufficient amount of effort on obtaining good counsel, which begs the question...why did they not try to recover the debt under common law?

Presumably, they can't as there was no 'stepping outside of' the CCA? We have seen the attempt and success though using common law as a 'back up' when the creditor messes up so why not here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12622318

Also confirms the court can just wipe out the debt and deny the creditor even though it may be a touch harsh for the bank - they know the rules however and what is expected of them if they wish to play with the grown ups so refreshing to see a judge uphold the requirements and not remove consumer rights.

Given this approach is it too hard for us to believe a creditor who deprives you of your rights and terminates on a dodgy DN can also expect to lose their entitlement to sums not yet payable? After all, the act states that terms and conditions should be supplied, don't recall it saying they must be supplied but perhaps I'll go check that out and examine the terminology unless anyone else knows off hand?

The judge could have (in the style of a default notice issue post termination and during litigation) told the bank to hand the defendant a set of T&C's so that magically everything is alright, but he didn't. Clearly he recognised there is a procedure in place that must be followed in order with no skipping about to correct previous mistakes as we see in default and termination disputes. Here we actually see an order in how the creditor must have behaved and the judge deemed that order must have been followed.

We therefore end up with clarity and order so the letters of the law are lined up correctly to see A, C, E, F, R for example instead of the order we've seen recently concerning default and termination confusion that instead comes out as F, A, R, C, E.

HI

Yes the verdict is indeed heartning , it shows that at lastr the courts are recognising that debtors rights to fair treatment continue deven after they fall upon hard times.

It also demonstrates that the act functions perfectly well within its own peramiters. It does not need and infact does not permit interference in its opperation.

The default notice works perfectly well within the confines of the act it does what it does, no one is saying it is a pontless esercise to challenge a DN, but if it found to be incorrect the court can re issue that is fact.

Now a lot can haopen if the time it takes the creditor to reissue so agin it is not pointsell to challeng but you must do it within the confines of the act,it is after al just a feature of it.

Accepting terminations and talking about repudiations of creditors is just not going to da anyone any good , it will ruin your credinlity with the court and may even backfire as it did in pumpkinheads case.

Peter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks