• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS Mint Loan - Court Action Started & Dodgy DN issues

Pumpkinhead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does any of this discussion really help the OP, here, though? It might need to be moved elsewhere...

I think so. Hopefully the discussion will help the OP decide if it's worth appealing and the arguments for and against recission, which would be useful in court.

well considering its debating the issue which seems to go to the heart of the matter, id say it would, but then again, who knows,

Agreed, and hopefully others who may be considering following the same course of action.

Still haven't decided what, if anything, to do yet. What puts me off appealing (apart from having a solid reason to) is having to argue it myself in court.

I think the solid reason is what you need to consider, and how best to deal with this now.

FWIW it makes sense to me that interest would be payable for the period that the loan was in force.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No it does not make the point irrelavant, if it did why have you been arguoing against it for the last 12 months.

because i thought (as i suspect many others did) in the absence of the bit i mentioned- that you were arguing that the creditor had a LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE right to simply terminate the agreement and claim immediate payment of sums not yet due

dont be sad...thats one long running argument out of the way:lol:

Had to answer this twice

Yes most if not all cases of repudiation revolve around the creditor failing to provide funds,what else would repudiation by a creditor involve? you suggeting he could terminate the agreement but contiue to provide credit? the one that you yourseld quotes so often is a case in point. These of course are of no relevance to CCA agreements but this doesnt seem to stop you quoting them.

Peter

really? i thought that most (in fact i would chance my arm and say 99.9999999999999% ) were about the creditor failing to allow the debtor to continue repaying funds he had ALREADY lent to the debtor- on a monthly basis as prescribed in the agreement itself!!

It looks to me as if there is not only strong "common sense" justification for PH to appeal - but strong legal grounds - now added to by UE's "estoppel" research.

I have always took the view that being told "legally" you CANNOT do something is not the same as physically preventing you from DOING it - i.e you physically CAN although it would be illegal or unlawful. The Law would not set out the consequences for doing something illegal or unlawful if it did not accept it were possible to do it.

It therefore follows that the creditor CAN (albeit unlawfully) repudiate a contract - and if the debtor accepts then that's it - contract dead - no resurrection possible even for the most fervent of believers - and the creditor should no longer benefit from the contract's terms and conditions.

Climbing back on my "logic" and "common sense" soap box, I think a suitable analogy to show how illogical it is that a creditor be "protected" from unlawfully terminating and thus avoid losing his rights (as AMEX was so protected in Brandon) is to consider a drink driving analogy:

A drink driver is a few miles away from the Pub (in Scotland the word Pub is revered - so always has a capital P) - and almost home when stopped by Police. Using Brandon as justification the driver argues that he hasn't hit anyone, didn't break any other traffic laws etc - so "no harm done". The Police (knowing the Law inside out of course) agree - but suggest the driver must not benefit from his "wrong doing" - so Police allow the driver to simply drive his car back to the Pub car park (so therefore deriving no benefit from the attempt to drive home drunk) and then walk home. All is fine - no one is "prejudiced" and no one "benefits" from the attempted wrong doing. That would be using the "common" definition of "rescission" - unwinding back to the status before anything happended - no drink driving took place - car back in Pub car park - driver weaving his weary way home. Clearly this would be an unacceptable outcome - so the Law DOES accept that what is illegal CAN still be done and has sanctions to deal with it.

However in both PH's case and the Brandon case the analogy has outcomes even worse!

Applying the same scenario to PH's case, it is likely that if this judge were a Policeman he would say - look - your home is just down the road - leave your car right here and walk home.

In the Brandon case the judge would rule "your home is nearer than the Pub - it's therefore safer for Joe Public if you just continue driving home rather than go all the way back to the Pub". Drive on - but carefully.

Clearly I don't mean this analogy to be taken TOO seriously - but surely it does raise the possibility of "logic or common sense" (and legal?) flaws in the verdicts reached in both Brandon and PH's case?

BD

Hi

Look this is i think gtting out of hand again.

The thinkg is that the OP has repudiated the agrement in the most basic trms he has said in writing that he does ot acknowledge the agreement whether he accepted the termination or whether he terminate first is totally irrellavant.In any case the liabilities are due to the creditor and the ability to pay by installment has been removed.

THe only issues are how much is owed and more importantly are their any other agreements in the pipline that are heading down the same track and what can be done to prevent the same outcome.

Peter

then i apologise- for i have not seen a transcipt of PH's letter and had not realised that she had simply refused to acknowledge the agreement and repudiated it

i was under the impression that she had referred to the creditors unlawful repudiation- and accepted that

slapped hand for me for not reading the actual letter ( i presume that you have!)

No it does not make the point irrelavant, if it did why have you been arguoing against it for the last 12 months.

because i thought (as i suspect many others did) in the absence of the bit i mentioned- that you were arguing that the creditor had a LEGALLY ENFORCEABLE right to simply terminate the agreement and claim immediate payment of sums not yet due

dont be sad...thats one long running argument out of the way:lol:

DD

Surely that IS what PB is arguing in post 441? - i.e that the creditor CAN have his cake and eat it?

BD

then i apologise- for i have not seen a transcipt of PH's letter and had not realised that she had simply refused to acknowledge the agreement and repudiated it

i was under the impression that she had referred to the creditors unlawful repudiation- and accepted that

slapped hand for me for not reading the actual letter

Has the letter been posted up here earlier? If so, on what post is it? Sorry I can't remember seeing any actual letter and I don't want to trawl through 450 posts for it.

BD

HI

Must admit to no having read the last few posts(sorry) I read the first bit but ,it seems to me that we are sat on a thread that illustrates that all this stuff does not work.

Simple as that .

Keep going over again and again why you think it should work is not doing anyone any good.

If there is evidence it works lets see it if not then we have the evidence to the contry right here.

So this is what we have to work with.

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

really? i thought that most (in fact i would chance my arm and say 99.9999999999999% ) were about the creditor failing to allow the debtor to continue repaying funds he had ALREADY lent to the debtor- on a monthly basis as prescribed in the agreement itself!!

NO usually it is about a bank not providing funds for a project and the other party loosing out because they were unable to either purchase equiptment or proceed. The debtor then sues the bank or creditor for repudiationg the agreement and for the losses involved in loss of ttrade.

The creditor faiing to let the debtor repay a loan as per the contract would be either termiation or breach of contract.

In a consumer credit agreement as we have allready established the creditor is within his rights to demand early payment any way. So it could not be the latter and as also established the former is allowed under the act?

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Peter

Many important advances are only made after years of failure. The most brilliant surgeons are typically those with the highest death rate - since they take on the "hopeless" cases. Similarly good lawyers should always be pushing the boundaries - and accept some losses along the way. The SC verdict was not teh end of the unfair bank charges fight - as is evidenced by cases still currently being fought in Glasgow Sheriff Court.

We MUST continue to question "accepted wisdom" where it is illogical or against natural justice - even if apparently "legal".

If we simply accepted "things are as they are - and won't change" then we would not have the NHS, women wouldn't have the vote, we would never have had a woman prime minister - on the other hand, maybe you've got a point!

BD

NO usually it is about a bank not providing funds for a project and the other party loosing out because they were unable to either purchase equiptment or proceed. The debtor then sues the bank or creditor for repudiationg the agreement and for the losses involved in loss of ttrade.

where on this thread has anyone ever mentioned a dispute along the lines above?

come on peter- why are you talking about banks not providing funds for projects?

this is a consumer advice group which predominantly addresses consumer credit issues not commercial transactons

at least try to keep the ball in the field of play!

i cannot ever recall on this site- reading of a cagger who has attempted to claim that a creditor has unlawfully repudiated an agreement by invoking a general term allowing the creditor to terminate

In fact the ONLY time i have ever heard mention of it was in the Amex v Brandon case where the creditor "changed tack" mid Default stream in an effort (succesful at the moment) to win the day

the only ones i have ever seen (or commented upon personally) have been where the debtor has been in default and the creditor has mucked up the s87 process

with respect- it is yourself that is becoming circular in your arguments

Edited by diddydicky

In a consumer credit agreement as we have allready established the creditor is within his rights to demand early payment any way. So it could not be the latter and as also established the former is allowed under the act?

Surely not "any way" Surely ONLY when the creditor has CORRECTLY jumped through the right hoops in the right order?

Morning gh/ph :-)

It strikes me that there are so many differing opinions at all levels, and even (a rather wonderful term I saw in a case summary) "a lack of judicial unanimity" which to me means the arguments are still wide open and could be changed by other judgements or defence strategies.

This has been buzzing round in my head so I want to throw it in here while it's still fresh.

Assuming a bad DN has been issued. Account Terminated. Court Action commenced.

As we all know:

(1)Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice ”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—

(a)to terminate the agreement, or (!)

(b)to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

©to recover possession of any goods or land, or

(d)to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or

(e)to enforce any security.

This begs the argument that, irrespective of termination, the creditor cannot demand the full sum without issuing a compliant DN.

NO the crediotr can demand any time he wants , he just cannot enforce on the breach of the debtor

One the court did not enforce due to breach they enforced because of the termination of the contract in order to recover liabilites under the contract, nothing in the act that says the creditor cannot enforce for any other reason than a breach. Just that if he is enforceing in the case of breach he needs to present a secion87 first.

PH's agreement was made under CCA 1974. The judge does not have the authority to overrule statute and order payment of the full sum without a compliant DN because that clause, being "OR" not "AND" stands independant of termination.

See above

Turning to the opinion that the creditor could then reissue a valid DN and recommence proceedings.

Couldn't ESTOPPEL BY REPRESENTATION be pleaded, in that the debtor has changed their position in view of the statements made by the creditor that the account is terminated, and "a reasonable man" would be likely to have taken the statements and actions (summons/harrassment etc) as being the actual state of affairs, therefore the creditor must abide by those statements and actions.

we know he can

(Spencer Bower- The Law relating to Estoppel by Representation)

Therefore by pleading Estoppel

The account IS terminated despite their DN error.

They cannot issue a new DN on a terminated account as there is no possibility of returning the account to it's original state by remedy of breach.

They cannot enforce without a valid DN.

Stalemate.

Just hypothesising after doing some research, not stating it as fact :-)

Elsa x

FAct is they do Elsa

Surely not "any way" Surely ONLY when the creditor has CORRECTLY jumped through the right hoops in the right order?

HI

NO i meant anyway of course nice one, really of course all he has to do is terminate and then demand repayment.

He could not enforce of course unless???

Peter

come on peter- why are you talking about banks not providing funds for projects?

this is a consumer advice group which predominantly addresses consumer credit issues not commercial transactons

i cannot ever recall on this site- reading of a cagger who has attempted to claim that a creditor has unlawfully repudiated an agreement by invoking a general term allowing the creditor to terminate

In fact the ONLY time i have ever heard mention of it was in the Amex v Brandon case where the creditor "changed tack" mid Default stream in an effort (succesful at the moment) to win the day

the only ones i have ever seen (or commented upon personally) have been where the debtor has been in default and the creditor has mucked up the s87 process

NOw your getting it it is contract law not consumer credit law.

Peter

Just another thought regarding this

The scenario i quoted was the one used as authority in surfaceagents orriginal post which is the foundation of this theory i believe.

Peter

Morning gh/ph :-)

It strikes me that there are so many differing opinions at all levels, and even (a rather wonderful term I saw in a case summary) "a lack of judicial unanimity" which to me means the arguments are still wide open and could be changed by other judgements or defence strategies.

This has been buzzing round in my head so I want to throw it in here while it's still fresh.

Assuming a bad DN has been issued. Account Terminated. Court Action commenced.

As we all know:

(1)Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice ”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—

(d)to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or

This begs the argument that, irrespective of termination, the creditor cannot demand the full sum without issuing a compliant DN.

PH's agreement was made under CCA 1974. The judge does not have the authority to overrule statute and order payment of the full sum without a compliant DN because that clause, being "OR" not "AND" stands independant of termination.

Turning to the opinion that the creditor could then reissue a valid DN and recommence proceedings.

Couldn't ESTOPPEL BY REPRESENTATION be pleaded, in that the debtor has changed their position in view of the statements made by the creditor that the account is terminated, and "a reasonable man" would be likely to have taken the statements and actions (summons/harrassment etc) as being the actual state of affairs, therefore the creditor must abide by those statements and actions.

(Spencer Bower- The Law relating to Estoppel by Representation)

Therefore by pleading Estoppel

The account IS terminated despite their DN error.

They cannot issue a new DN on a terminated account as there is no possibility of returning the account to it's original state by remedy of breach.

They cannot enforce without a valid DN.

Stalemate.

Just hypothesising after doing some research, not stating it as fact :-)

Elsa x

well said- i think if i may say- where alot of the "debate" has arisen is in the use of the term "the creditor may demand"

I am sure that most of us thought that folk who were saying that the creditor "could demand" meant that the creditor could "legally enforce" such a demand when in fact it now transpires that those folk do ACCEPT that the "demand" by the creditor is not legally enforceable.

of course a creditor can "demand" anything he likes- just like you and i can- its just that most of us make a presumption before making such statements that what we are talking about are legally enforceable, rather than fanciful demands-

if that makes sense

Just another thought regarding this

The scenario i quoted was the one used as authority in surfaceagents orriginal post which is the foundation of this theory i believe.

Peter

no. it was about his own personal experience whereby a creditor sought repossession of his car via a faulty DN

in any event if you beleived that you were referring to one mentioned in a surfaceagent post- that would hardly be the "Usual" reason for a DN- which is what you suggested

come on Peter- stop digging and concede a point when you know it is lost-

I know its hard to be humble- when youre perfect in every way ............:lol:

GH has continually raised the most important question that no-one supporting the opposing argument has been able to answer. No entitlement has been secured. To date we've skipped around the puddle but no-one has actually jumped into it so can we look at how the important entitlement has been secured?

How, using the CCA, did the creditor become entitled to sums not yet due at termination?

Picking up on Undercover Elsa who refreshed our minds with what the act specifically states we find that:

That little word OR is a biggie. I like the estoppel defence and when combined with others such as unfair relationships and the fact that the creditor has created a web of confusion for the debtor I can't see how the creditor can rise through all of this and run off into the sunset. Any takers? :-)

• Haha 1

no. it was about his own personal experience whereby a creditor sought repossession of his car via a faulty DN

in any event if you beleived that you were referring to one mentioned in a surfaceagent post- that would hardly be the "Usual" reason for a DN- which is what you suggested

come on Peter- stop digging and concede a point when you know it is lost-

I know its hard to be humble- when youre perfect in every way ............:lol:

Look at the case authorities he quoted in his post

GH has continually raised the most important question that no-one supporting the opposing argument has been able to answer. No entitlement has been secured. To date we've skipped around the puddle but no-one has actually jumped into it so can we look at how the important entitlement has been secured?

Picking up on Undercover Elsa who refreshed our minds with what the act specifically states we find that:

That little word OR is a biggie. I like the estoppel defence and when combined with others such as unfair relationships and the fact that the creditor has created a web of confusion for the debtor I can't see how the creditor can rise through all of this and run off into the sunset. Any takers? :-)

Ok,

The reason was that there was acceptance of termination

You can step outside of the CCA by consent of the parties,

This is clear from Lloyd & guest.

So it seems to me the acceptance of the termination was the killer blow

If so, then is that not (at least partial - along with other arguments) grounds for appeal? Isn't the Law meant to work on a level playing field?

Surely if a judge could even be slightly suspected of (justifiable?) bias and not allowing the Debtor to clarify exactly what she meant then something is far wrong with our "justice" system? I would say "slightly biased" and "justifiable bias" should be considered in the same way as "slightly dead" - i.e. without the adjectives which are totally inappropraite and do not lessen the effect or mitigate the wrong.

BD

Yes i think this is the way to go if the op decides to appeal, He did after all have a defective DN, this was the main aspect of his case.

Peter

I bet there's no breath holding at the Wogan house today then

HI

i will double that if you can show one case of estoppell being used with a defective dn in the last 30 years that the act has been in force.

Perhaps no one else has thought of it Ya think

Peter

i notice PB that you are silent on the challenge to your contention that invalid DN's cannot be admitted as evidence

do i take it that you concede the point, or are you still thinking about a response

it IS important- for the sake of other caggers that this hitherto unknown but vital point of law you have raised ...is clarified as it could have enormous significance on the conduct of many cagger defences

Except that it is irrelevant as I believe Peter has confused estoppel by representation with Res judicata. E by R is a different horse entirely and not dependant upon prior court action, but on any statement or action leading to a change of position by the other party, if I understand it correctly.

No not at al, i man estoppel cant spellit but i know what it does.

Peter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks