TV bought from PC World - 2 years old

mommabean
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5163 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'd like some advice please! My TV decided to go *bang* this morning with no warning whatsoever. It's now not turning on (obviously) and I'm stuck.

I bought the TV from PC World just over 2 years ago. To be honest I thought it would last a lot longer than it has.

Am I entitled to contact PC World for a repair/replacement? I'm not bothered whether or not I get a new one, having the current one repaired would be good enough for me!

I'd rather know what I'm entitled to by law than go barging in there demanding this and that without really knowing what I'm talking about! Is there a letter I could write or is it best to phone?

Any advice is much appreciated

mommabean

You can indeed request a repair, if they say that there is only a one year warranty on the product remind them that goods must last a reasonable amount of time under the Sales of Goods act 1979 (as amended) and in no way are you asking for a warranty repair just your legal statutory rights.

PC world can insist on an engineers report however to show that it is not down to fair wear and tear or misuse. Don't remind them though, and don't be fobbed off, it is repair/replacement or a request for engineers report.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

OK so they got back to me and unfortunately they do indeed need an engineer's report. The woman on the phone was very pleasant, but she did say that because it was out of warranty that they would need the report. She said as long as it's proved that it's a fault with the TV and not something I've done, PC World will refund the cost of the report when they receive it.

Here's my new worry. She said that the TV manufacturer (Polaroid) is no longer in existence, or if they are, they aren't making TVs anymore. The likelyhood of getting parts is very slim if there's something huge wrong with the TV. Apparently what would happen if they couldn't repair it, (and apparently they can't replace it because obviously they don't stock that make anymore) is that I would get a part-refund based on how long I've had the TV.

Does anyone have any idea how they'd go about working this out? The TV was £550 new 2 years ago. I know that I haven't misused my TV and I'm confident the engineer's report will show this, but now I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to replace the TV I have with the money they will give me!

Anyone got any advice?

OK so they got back to me and unfortunately they do indeed need an engineer's report. The woman on the phone was very pleasant, but she did say that because it was out of warranty that they would need the report. She said as long as it's proved that it's a fault with the TV and not something I've done, PC World will refund the cost of the report when they receive it.

Here's my new worry. She said that the TV manufacturer (Polaroid) is no longer in existence, or if they are, they aren't making TVs anymore. The likelyhood of getting parts is very slim if there's something huge wrong with the TV. Apparently what would happen if they couldn't repair it, (and apparently they can't replace it because obviously they don't stock that make anymore) is that I would get a part-refund based on how long I've had the TV.

Does anyone have any idea how they'd go about working this out? The TV was £550 new 2 years ago. I know that I haven't misused my TV and I'm confident the engineer's report will show this, but now I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to replace the TV I have with the money they will give me!

Anyone got any advice?

Normaly you'd get a refund based on buying another model of the same or better specification from a store. I believe as it's outside of the year warantee you may get some money deducted for usage.

Normaly you'd get a refund based on buying another model of the same or better specification from a store. I believe as it's outside of the year warantee you may get some money deducted for usage.

My TV is a 37" HD Ready TV. Looking at their website, the cheapest TV they have in the same size is £500, however this is a full HD TV.

Do you think their current prices would have any bearing on what they would offer me as a refund?

I would generally say a TV should last at least 5 years? So IMHO a partial refund would yield £330. It is usually (Usage / Expected Life Time) * Cost.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

I would generally say a TV should last at least 5 years? So IMHO a partial refund would yield £330. It is usually (Usage / Expected Life Time) * Cost.

Sounds reasonable enough to me.

It's with the engineer now, he said it shouldn't take long to get a report.

Ah, lfe would be so much easier if I could just save enough money to buy a new TV!