Problems with a car from a garage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

On Saturday I bought a Peugeot 307 for £2500. The garage said that the car had been given a full service before I collected it, and replaced the discs and pads.

Since then I've encountered the following problems:

Losing water. Lost 2.5 litres by Sunday and another 2 litres today.

The indicator bulb holder was faulty.

It was not valeted

The CD multichanger doesn't work

An error beep keeps sounding when driving but there are no messages on the screen relating to what they are.

Do I have any rights to return the car with it being only a couple of days from the sale? The car was purchased with a debit card. I asked the bank to hold the transaction but they refused.

I am not keen to return the car to the garage for repairs when these issues should have been picked up before the sale completion. I simply do not trust them.

Plus the garage is in a remote area and many miles from where I live.

Thanks

Hi everyone.

On Saturday I bought a Peugeot 307 for £2500. The garage said that the car had been given a full service before I collected it, and replaced the discs and pads.

Since then I've encountered the following problems:

Losing water. Lost 2.5 litres by Sunday and another 2 litres today.

The indicator bulb holder was faulty.

It was not valeted

The CD multichanger doesn't work

An error beep keeps sounding when driving but there are no messages on the screen relating to what they are.

Do I have any rights to return the car with it being only a couple of days from the sale? The car was purchased with a debit card. I asked the bank to hold the transaction but they refused.

I am not keen to return the car to the garage for repairs when these issues should have been picked up before the sale completion. I simply do not trust them.

Plus the garage is in a remote area and many miles from where I live.

Thanks

Sounds right dodgy to me what you have said there mate.Contact trading standards in the area where you live.

Bank refused to do claw back on your debit card???? I can't speak for all debit cards, but VISA (even electron) will act to get you a refund. Many bank staff, inc. local managers, don't know this facility exists on debit cards---some claim not to know! Would advise you revisit bank and tell them that visa WILL act, so why can't they. I have had several refunds.

The debit card was with lloyds TSB. They wouldn't help so the money was taken.

I rang the dealer, they were really off with me, especially as I mentioned Trading Standards.

They completely sided with the garage who did the service, insisting everything was ok with the car before sale.

They refused me a refund, saying "you've never bought a second hand car have you?", and saying that you can't get a refund on a second hand car.

They also said that a water leak was the most simplest trival thing you can have. Once I told him I'd had two MGFs and a loss of water can mean a head gasket failure and a very expensive engine repair the salesman went very quiet.

They've offered to take the car in for repairs, but won't do anything to help me, such as give me a loan car.

Trading Standards have yet to reply to my query.

Just been on the phone to Lloyds. They first denied any knowledge about the VISA protection, but some insistence on my part got me through to the disputed purchases department.

However, the claimed that as the car was purchased with chip and pin, the car was "sold as seen" and they are unable to make any chargeback. They just said to go back to Trading Standards and force the garage to issue a refund.

Just been on the phone to Lloyds. They first denied any knowledge about the VISA protection, but some insistence on my part got me through to the disputed purchases department.

However, the claimed that as the car was purchased with chip and pin, the car was "sold as seen" and they are unable to make any chargeback. They just said to go back to Trading Standards and force the garage to issue a refund.

Absolute bollocks. How else were you supposed to use card if not chip and pin???? Since when did LTSB become qualified in motor trade terms? There is no such thing as "sold as seen"except in a private sale, or when a vehicle has been offered for spares or repair. Many of the lower eschallons in the motor trade use this term but it has no meaning in law.

If your branch of TSB won't help, tell them that you will go straight to Visa Europe direct. Initially, I got same crap from my bank. I found out that debit cards were subject to clawback or chargeback and printed it off. When i went to bank to show the tellers my evidence, the manager appeared and tried to fob me off, but too late, several staff had seen my proof by then. I am now VERY unpopular with her and she refused me a decent overdraft recently----she'll keep. Persist with LTSB and let them know that you know what the score is.

To quote a few things from Scaniamans post - I have never read so much bollox in my life. The reason that banks don't want to do chargebacks is because under Visa rules, they get a black mark from Visa everytime they do one and even though 'all' the banks and there staff know about it, they will pretend they don't or deny it in attempt to stop you doing it.

There is also no such thing as 'sold as seen'.

Is there any finance on the car??

You must formally write to the seller rejecting the car and send it by recorded or registered post. Do not telephone.

You must do this in all urgency as you only have a reasonable time to do so. List all the problems with the car and tell them it is not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act 1974(amended)

• 2 weeks later...