• Tweets

• oh well i wonder what new fake documents they have made up then...for them to try this.... just to check nothing funky like Link have filed an n244 to lift the stay and strike out her defence....she hasnt moved since last court comms has she?   is this an n24? bit unusual for a 13mts stay to just be lifted... has she not received anything from link/kearns in the last fw weeks like a docs bundle? bit like this thread... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/466576-lc-assetlinkkearns-claim-form-2-mbna-cc/?do=findComment&comment=5256397  
    • if the agreement was taken out jan 23, then she has not reached the 1/3rd mark so the car has not become protected goods under the consumer credit act.  this puts her in a very very vulnerable position regarding ever keeping the car....whereby once they have issued a default notice they can legally send a guy with a flatbed (though they are NOT BAILIFFS and have ZERO legal powers) to collect the car.  if the car is kept on the public highway then they can simply take it away and she will legally owe the whole stated amount on the agreement AND lose the car. if it's on private property i'e like a driveway, ok they shouldn't take it without her agreeing, but if they do, it's not really on but its better than a court case and an inevitable loss with the granting a return of goods order. are these 'health reasons' likely to resolve themselves in the very short term (like a couple of months?) and can she immediately begin working again ? i'e has she got a job or would have to find one?  answer the above and we'll try and help. but she looks to be between rock and a hard place . whatever happens she will still have to pay the loan off...car or no car....unless you can appeal to the finance company's better nature using health reasons to back off for xxx months.
    • no need to use it. it doubles the size of the thread and makes it very diff to find replies on small screens too. just like @username it - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread already inc you ...gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.
    • Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Smiths V Nationwide - Nationwide Paying Up!!! Yipeeee!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone. I sent my court papers off on 13 April to claim back £2.5k from Nationwide. They acknowledged the claim and are defending it. It seems to be taking forever. I am counting the days and can only hope I won't be the unlucky one that it doesn't work out for. I only have a basic account with them. Keep your fingers crossed for me please. . .

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi My account

Nationwide did the same to me, and the final day for them to register their defence is in abut three days time, yesterday they paid money into my accoun, and I received a letter saying they were not paying the full amount, and sent their schedule of charges, and they had calculated from April 2001, as it was six years from the date of their notification from the court, although I am claiming from end Jan 2001 as I first wrote to them in Feb 2007. Today I rceived a copy of their defence from the court, which states they are not paying me anything as I am not entitled to it, duh! they have paid me some of the money, so I will be going for the rest of the money. Tnhey appear to always respond at the 12th hour, so hang on in there you will get your money.

When I made a claim on behalf of my DIL they sent a copy of terms and conditions, I read it and recycled it, from start to finish the claim took 5 weeks but I only claimed £80 for her, she only had the account open for 4 months. they said they would close her account on 12th March but it is still open, I threatened them with the BOS if it goes to them they have to pay £250 to the BOS Banking Ombudsman Service,for investigating the complaint and compensation of £125 if they find they were acting vindictive which they were. still not received letter of deadlock from N/Wide to escalate it to the BOS so while the account is still open I can't do anything as there is no complaint.

when you handled your friends account claim, did you have to get written permission from her and then all the correspondance went directely via you?

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

Hi Everyone. I sent my court papers off on 13 April to claim back £2.5k from Nationwide. They acknowledged the claim and are defending it. It seems to be taking forever. I am counting the days and can only hope I won't be the unlucky one that it doesn't work out for. I only have a basic account with them. Keep your fingers crossed for me please. . .

they will pay up but it will be on the final day of the 28, you will prob receive a letter that day saying they are not going to pay you, then the money goes into your account or accounts if you have more than one to try to confuse you. By the way Iv now requested statements back to 1990. skeggsy

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Hey,

Well done to the Smiths and boy have you cheered me up. I have just got off calculating my interest after going to the line (40 days)after three attempts on my data protection act information. Now the figures are worked out and being sent off tomorrow with my claim for £1871.08. I am looking forward to posting my own good news in the very near future. I still haven't managed to work out yet how the Nationwide can claim to be 'Proud to be different'. They appear to be the same as all the rest of the buggers!8-)

hi there, would you mind emailing or PM'ing me the nationwide defence they entered so that when my court date comes up I'm ready to pick holes in there defence? this should be on the online money site their defence? thanks for any help! really would appreciate it.

Pestrick

obviously blank out your details! ps i no longer have an account with them and after berwick yesterday think they may see it to the end so i need to be properly prepared! thanks!

Hya posted you a great long reply and unplugged my lap top to take into the other room to get my paperwork out so I could copy it ver batum. got back in here and realised it hadnt submitted. basically they didnt have a defense.. they pay you out on day 28 then you get a letter the same day to say they arnt going to pay you??? whats that all about.... then I wrote a letter asking what the refund was in relation to and asked them to confirm in writing, they were really sneaky and put the money into 3 different accounts I hold with them, I realise now this was to confuse any future claims and they have.... then the form comes from the court and their defense is basically that they have paid you out, which they have! hope that helps they wont have any other defense as long as you have done your figures right.

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks

Just wondering what the general consensus for my situation would be, as noted a previous poster missed out the LBA stage & went to MCOL.

The salient facts in my case are ...

Two FlexAccounts (first one is 'suspended' or 'frozen', partly due to massive amount of charges exceeding overdraft etc. ) for just under £11k & £1k (the latter account still being 'live')

Nationwide have failed to respond in anything like a timely manner to my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) or Prelim Letter, in fact I had to ring them to gee them up. I still haven't received statements, although they sent me an abstract of charges (that I based my figures on), promising full statements within 7 days. Rung them again this week & they promised will issue all statements & respond to prelim letter.

I haven't claimed any contractual interest, for two reasons - not having the statements but also (optimistically) an attempt to incentivise a quick payment :D

As Nationwide have proved extremely unresponsive during the normal process (probably due to overload), I was wondering if it was worth just jumping directly to MCOL stage? I could then apply the 8% SI to my abstract of charges, and possibly save time in waiting to send a LBA and then be told to go forth and divide?

In the meantime, I'm waiting for these statements to calculate contractual interest - if I omit the LBA and issued MCOL, I guess I could revise my claim subsequently if there were discrepancies in the abstract of charges, or the contractual interest was significant?

Think this forum is fab BTW, don't know how people cope without it. To think some folks are paying some 'companies' 25% fees to reclaim!!

Cheers

I have issued against nationwide via MCOL, its the ONLY way they pay (trust me). But you need to know your charges etc prior to doing so as you cant rely on n/wide sending you them in time, they wont take any early incentives either they will just repudiate your claim, refer you to the ombudsman UNLESS you issue. You have to get your statements and know your claim in it's entirety or they will take advantage of you during the litigation process. There is an interest calculator on the site somewhere. I heard they pay on the 28th day , the 11th hour. which is 12 days for me. My account is closed though so dont know how they are going to pay me! hopefully by cheque.

Hiya

Thanks for the reply & info, I don't think I wouldn't go any further forward until I had my statements and did the maths. Thinking of issuing a non-compliance if I have't received response by tomorrow, which is 40 days since they received my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request).

However, it's whether to proceed direct to MCOL without sending a LBA, and your reply has only galvanised my thoughts. Is there a precedent for this, as it seems a pointless exercise (to send a LBA particularly if I'm sending a non-compliance for previous lack of response) in reality, but could it be deemed as a lack of goodwill at court stage if I didn't send a LBA?

Hiya,

Unfortuantely the Nationwide seem to be delaying even more noe and they are even putting in a defence with some cases so they are not so quick at paying up. There are a few threads on here that the deadline for a defence has passed and they have not heard anything from either their Solicitors nor Nationwide. They have until the 13th June to enter a defence or pay up with my claim but as yet not heard anything. So am going to have to fight even harder for my money!!

just giving you some incentive, I GOT STATEMENTS FROM NATIONWIDE PRE 6 YEARS TODAY GOING BACK TO 1991, DID HAVE TO THREATEN THEM WITH INFORMATION COMMISSIONER Could open the flood gates at last?!!!

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and am I glad I found it. Every letter I send to Nationwide they send back the same reply, Terms and conditions etc and we are not paying, not fair to our other customers. I was going to go to the ombubdman first before court action. Should I go straight to court action and not bother with ombudsman ??? :confused:

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and am I glad I found it. Every letter I send to Nationwide they send back the same reply, Terms and conditions etc and we are not paying, not fair to our other customers. I was going to go to the ombubdman first before court action. Should I go straight to court action and not bother with ombudsman ??? :confused:

in same position can anyone help ( sorry to hijack your thread !!! ) i was using a company to claim back charges this was

back in Jan but despite them saying the money would be in my account soon

etc etc i have heard nothing, i rang nationwide ( who i am trying to get the

charges back from ) and they say they have had no correspondence from

claim company at all, i have rang the financial ombudsmen and they said

they would deal with it free if i want to do a compalaint through them,

should i do this rather than go through the court process myself to try and

get my charges back from nationwide, do you know if the financial ombudsmen

have much success with these claims

many thanks

before you do anything else, read all the information on templates on this site and join the nationwide forum, read other peoples stories and start from the beginning making sure you get it right, otherwise it will not work. Dont bother ringing them or arguing with them, you do not need a company that you will have to pay you can do it with support. Start bu adding up your charges on the spreadsheet provided.

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

As predicted, Nationwide paid up on day 28! They have allowed me to keep my account open but, of course, told me I have to keep my account in order in the future. I had already opened a parachute account but won't need to use it.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous posts asking for you to keep your fingers crossed for me, and to this site for all the advice and support. Power to the people eh? ;)

Hi Guys,

Leave out the Ombudsman. If you haven't already done so, just set out your charges in a spreadsheet, add the interest to each charge, total it all up and go straight to the Money Claim Online. I did, and as you can see from my previous posts, they paid up.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert web site at Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

There is all the information you need.

Good luck!

Well done to you.

Not to put you off, but I had my claim acknowledged by Nationwide and they paid *some* into my account, the majority but not all. I'm still awaiting the rest, and there is no sign of it. It looks like I'm going to have to file judgement by default for the rest.

So keep an eye out for it and I'll keep my fingers crossed that they pay up the rest sharp-ish!

Bev[/quo Hi all this is my first post so be gentle with me ok. i have been through all the letter stages with nationwide to no end so i took them to court via mcol on the 5th june07 is was deemed served on the 10th june and acknowleged on the 11 june, what happens now as unsure what i have to do ,its for £4449 so taking it all the way , but do they give in and pay money into account or will i have to go into court please help thanks xxx

HELP, i issued at 10 minutes past midnight for judgement so perfect timing yet they get in defence before 10am next morning when i´d already pressed judgemnt. their defence doesnt tell me anything but this

7QZ72910

Defence

You are unable to take any further action online on this claim.

The Defendant disputes the whole amount you have claimed. Your claim cannot proceed online and will be transferred to the appropriate court for continuation. You will receive confirmation to where the claim has been transferred to shortly.

is this normal and will i still get paid! i dont mind my day in court but what is going on they should have paid and i´m abroad dont know what their defence is. most people been paid on 28th day. i dont have acct with them anymore are they really goign to defend or just stalling me for another 28 days :question mark_ sorry foreign computer. am i going to go to court now or are they just stalling has anyone else had a defence from them then got paid _question mark?

please help!

HELP, i issued at 10 minutes past midnight for judgement so perfect timing yet they get in defence before 10am next morning when i´d already pressed judgemnt. their defence doesnt tell me anything but this

7QZ72910

Defence

You are unable to take any further action online on this claim.

The Defendant disputes the whole amount you have claimed. Your claim cannot proceed online and will be transferred to the appropriate court for continuation. You will receive confirmation to where the claim has been transferred to shortly.

is this normal and will i still get paid! i dont mind my day in court but what is going on they should have paid and i´m abroad dont know what their defence is. most people been paid on 28th day. i dont have acct with them anymore are they really goign to defend or just stalling me for another 28 days :question mark_ sorry foreign computer. am i going to go to court now or are they just stalling has anyone else had a defence from them then got paid _question mark?

please help!

this is the same situation as mine my 28 days was up on monday 18th june

at midnight i hit the win by default button on MCOL and it said my claim would by dealt with tuesday.

Tuesday p.m. it came back rejected as Nationwide had defended my claim.

i was told like you i could not persue my claim on line, and my mouth hit the floor.

YET TODAY WEDNESDAY 20TH JUNE £3320 PAID INTO MY ACCOUNT AND ENTERED AS CORRECTION STILL £1000+ SHORT SO ITS NOT THE END YET

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU

• 2 months later...