Newbie Lostie!

joaboo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, I'm probably going to annoy a lot of you by posting here but i'm not sure where to put it so please accept my apologies!

Over 5 yeasr ago I got into terrible debt and couldn't open a bank account with anyone other than HSBC. For a few years I had a basic account (for wages to be paid in etc) until I crawled out of trouble.

Then over a year ago I waltzed in and asked about an overdraft and cheque book. I was upgraded and was charged £12.95 per month for the privilege. I have never been overdrawn. Never had a bank charge. I'm a careful spender. Rarely use the cheque book but the overdraft does come in handy now and then.

A few weeks ago I was invited in for a review. When it was my turn to ask questions I explained that I didn't think it was fair for me to be giving them over £150 a year to use the overdraft when other banks don't charge. She went into great detail of all the benefits I would lose: Roadside assistance (i'm already with the RAC) Travel insurance (I don't travel) and Fraud Protection (Its a debit account that never has much in) so we laughed at how useless it was to me.

My gripe is, when I initially asked for the overdraft and bank book I believe they mislead me into thinking that because I was in debt, the upgraded account was a necessity rather than the luxury it turned out to be.

Is there any way I can get a refund?

Many thanks in advance :)

You have what is called a packaged account. I have seen this reclaimed however you would need to look at the benefits you would have gained against those you actually used. I would explain the Roadside assistance thing ie you paid for it unnecessarily so it was not a benefit to you.

See if they will refund some of the charges based on what you could have benefitted from, what you were ineligible for and how much you did benefit from it(excluding the RAC cos you paid for it).

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf