A&L joint account problems

budgy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Several years ago I took out a joint bank account with A&L with my then partner (for bill payments).

When the relationship ended I tried to close the account but A&L would only do so with my ex partner consent. She refused.

I was approached by the bank some time ago stating that they wanted me to take the account on as a sole holder. I refused as I could see that my ex had in fact drawn money from the account and thereby made it overdrawn.

Am I to believe that we are (particularly me ) joint responsible for this account.

I am concerned that I will be held as sole responsible for this account due to the approach the bank had made to me regarding converting into a sole account.

Any advice !

Hi,

There's no way they can make you sole responsible for the account.

I know it's a bit late now but you'd have been better telling A&L you wanted to have nothing to do with the account after you split, though I'm not sure how easy that would have been, had there been a minus balance on it.

I'm really not too clued up on joint accounts, so not sure what your options are.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thankyou Scot.

I did try telling them that and also wanted to close the account. A&L refused to carry out my wish without a form signed by both party's involved. I signed my half but my ex refused.

Later on when she put the account into red she then tried to put the account over into my sole name, stating that this is what I wanted to do earlier in the year (with the signed form).

However when I found out that the account was in the red I explained to the bank that I would not take this debt on.

If this was happening to me, I'd probably run it by the Citizen's Advice Bureau just to see where I stand.

Wouldn't like a black mark against me or debt collection out to squeeze me if it wasn't my fault.

I'd probably also have a look at my experian report - cost £2 last time I looked - to check there was nothing on there already because of the o/d account.

Good luck dude!

• 1 month later...

Experian report is all clear.

The only mark is an address link with my ex girlfriend and that it exists due to the A&L joint account.

Im trying to work out what their charges would be. All I can find is £5/month.

Also received a call from the A&L yesterday on my mobile. They would not disclose any details unless I verified my name dob and address.

I told them that I do not give such information over the phone.