Lowells withdrawn full & final settlement offer

otisan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Back in July I got a letter confirming a full and final settlement from Lowells to pay off my Littlewoods account. I had to pay the £800 by 25th July.

However, my father passed away and obviously had other things to think about. But I made the full payment a few weeks later in August.

Because of the delay I wrote to them telling them the reason for the delayed payment and asking for a written confirmation that the account was cleared.

As I never heard from them, I assumed all was fine and I had done the good thing and cleared one of my debts!!

This morning I got another letter (1st I heard from them since my payment) saying I owe a further £500. Phoned them and they said is was because I did not pay in time.

Can they do this and how would I go about disputing this? My letters obviously dont get answered there and when I phone its just some 18 year old idiot on the phone who doesnt know what hes talking about.

Yeah, and its all cleared. Now its just an issue of this coming back to haunt me. Thought this was all cleared and paid off.

It was one of the nicest feelings to file away these papers for good and not having to deal with it anymore. Nothing is ever as good as it seems I suppose.

When you sent them the cheque, did you refer to their offer at all?

I paid over the phone and referred to the offer. The girl on the phone still kept saying there was £500 left to pay however, and had to keep telling her about the offer I was sent. She would have none of it and tried to get me to sign up to direct debits, standing orders, get all my details... you name it she wanted it from me!

I had to end the call as she wouldn't listen and was just following her scripts and thought I was better off getting through to them by letter instead.

Sorry but here is another example of someone who does their business on the phone and doesn't record calls even though you are dealing with a discredited and disreputable industry.

In the circumstances I think that you will have a very difficult job saying that your payment was in F&F.

You could send them an SAR asking for screen notes and telephone recordings - but they are unlikely to be able to supply you with the evidence that you need.

Spend £100 on a Truecall and you will never have this problem again - or do everything by letter

I understand what you are saying, but should it really be that bad to contact somebody by phone?

After all, i just thought I was doing the right thing and clearing my debt. In hindsight obviously this was wrong. But am now in the position where i am asking what to do next.

You are right. One should be able to do one's business on the phone with confidence but you can't. I am sure that you have seen all of the warnings about this all over the site.

Now it has happened to you.

I have suggested your next step. Send an SAR.

However don't get your hopes up.

I don't really know what else I can say to you.