Refund of charges by crediting account

lively1996
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5294 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anybody experienced the same. I've recently been told by RBS that they will refund my credit card charges. They plan to do this by crediting my current account by the total amount of charges. They know that I am in financial hardship. Can they do this?

Hello and Welcome, lively1996.

In this situation, your bank will take whatever money is due to them regardless of your other credit commitments. This is called the "Right to Offset" This effectively means they can take monies from your credit card (without your permission) to bring the loan or current account up date. This is perfectly lawful and does happen.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Has anybody experienced the same. I've recently been told by RBS that they will refund my credit card charges. They plan to do this by crediting my current account by the total amount of charges. They know that I am in financial hardship. Can they do this?

If it is credit card charges then it will reduce the overall debt on the card and by definition reduce the balance of the card and payments needing to be made to it.

Did you reclaim all the charges for the credit card with interest?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

If it is credit card charges then it will reduce the overall debt on the card and by definition reduce the balance of the card and payments needing to be made to it.

Did you reclaim all the charges for the credit card with interest?

Yea I did add interest. Can I argue that in theory I have paid them in cash so I want the amount in cash? I need the money becasue I am unemployes and like so many others struggling to find work.

Hello and Welcome, lively1996.

In this situation, your bank will take whatever money is due to them regardless of your other credit commitments. This is called the "Right to Offset" This effectively means they can take monies from your credit card (without your permission) to bring the loan or current account up date. This is perfectly lawful and does happen.

Regards.

Scott.

Hi Scott

Yes I have heard about this. But I thought that there was a right of appropriation where the banks couldn't just take any amounts of money that might be intended for other things such as rent or mortgage payments.

Yea I did add interest. Can I argue that in theory I have paid them in cash so I want the amount in cash? I need the money becasue I am unemployes and like so many others struggling to find work.

Have you looked at all benefits you are can ask for?

For example, if you are renting or are in council accomodation then you may be eligible for housing benefit/ Local housing allowance. Also worth looking at whether you can make a pot of food and freezing some of it to use at a later date.

On the job front side, sign up to the agencies, check local supermarkets, online jobsite, local paper online etc, etc,

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf