• Tweets

• I apologise if I was being unclear. Where it currently stands is that they will have it repair, placing scaffolding in our garden for 5 days. They have moved fast, but we will still have to postpone our contractors, meaning, we won't necessarily have the work done in time for the wedding and therefore will incur additional expenses for either a marquee or a wedding venue. They are vehemently against having any kind of liability in any regard but continue repeating that they are legally entitled to use our garden for their repairs (I believe this is true unless the work can be carried out using a cherry picker). The neighbour seems either indifferent or oblivious to the fact they can't reach all of the side of the roof from the space where they can place the scaffolding. They have asked their roofer of choice about using a cherry picker but the roofer has said it wasn't possible. It's not clear whether the roofer doesn't want to use a cherry picker or whether there is an issue with it. They have told us it is a problem that we are installing a gazebo as it will prevent them to access their roof from our garden in the future?!?  
    • Couldn't agree more, really wanted a true ruling on this just for the knowledge but pretty sure the Judge made some decisions today that he didn't need to?.. maybe they all go this way on the day? We hear back so few post court dates I'm not sure. Each Judge has some level of discretion. Their sol was another Junior not even working at their Firm, so couldn't speak directly for them! that was fortunate I think because if she would have rejected in court better, she might have  been able to force ruling, we are at that point!, everybody there!!, Judge basically said openly that he can see everything for Judgement!!!  but she just said "I can speak to the claimant and find out!" - creating the opportunity for me to accept. I really think the Judge did me a favor today by saying it without saying it. Knowing the rep for the sol couldn't really speak to the idea in the moment. Been to court twice in a fortnight, on both occasions heard 4 times with others and both of my claims, the clerk mention to one or both parties "Letting the Judge know if you want to have a quick chat with each other"! So, it appears there's an expectation of the court that there is one last attempt at settling before going through the door. So, not a Sol tactic, just Court process!. Judge was not happy we hadn't tried to settle outside! We couldn't because she went to the loo and the Judge called us in 10 minutes early! - another reason to stand down to allow that conv to happen. Stars aligned there for me I think. But yeh, if the sol themselves, or someone who can make decisions on the case were in court, I would have received a Judgement against today I think. She was an 'advocate'.. if I recall her intro to me correctly.. So verbal arguments can throw spanners in Court because Plinks dogs outsource their work and send a Junior advocate.
    • that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ropossession hearing on Monday- Need a few pointers please

Noel905r
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, as mentioned we have our repossession hearing on Monday.

I've had my head stuck in the sand for the past few months and only had the sense to face up to matters over the past few days. I know it's late in day but I was wondering if anybody could help with a few points?

Obviously we do not want to loose our home. I have not really spoken to our lender very much for the simple reason that I felt I had nothing to offer them regarding a payment plan. Lender is Preferred by the way and as many know Capstone look after collections for them. Yesterday my wife and I managed to put figures together and we can start repayments again next month with a little extra to go toward the arrears. What I was wondering was what is acceptable to the court ref extra payment? Arrears are quite large, around £12k. Total loan figure is around £90k although our property is worth a good bit more than that. Would an extra £50-£100 be acceptable? Or have we any other options?

I should speak to Capstone today or tomorrow but I'm worried that anything I offer them will be rejected.

Do I need any representation at the hearing? Not that I can afford anybody.

I am self employed and my wife is employed.

Would very grateful if somebody could help.

Rgds

Noel

Edited by Noel905r

I feel for you.

However, you will be suprised at how civil and sympathetic the judge will be. Simply telling the judge what your proposals are, should be enough to get a suspended repo order. This is legally binding, and prevents the mortgage co from doing anything if you keep up payments as agreed.

Hi there, I take it you have not returned the defence forms to the court? If that is the case then you will need to take a statement with you to hand to the judge outlining your offer - I can help you with that.

You will also need to include a budget sheet (I have affixed the one we use to this post). When you fill it in you need to remember that the amount you are offering towards the arrears each month in addition to the normal monthly payment, is the amount left over after everything else has been paid.

In order to start to draft a statement for you, I need some information:

What was the reason for the arrears?

Is the mortgage in joint names?

Do you have any children?

Do you have a statement from the lender showing arrears? if so, how much of the amount they claim is arrears is actually monthly charges?

There is case law we can use that the court can consider, which gives the judge the power to order the arrears can be paid over a longer period of time than the lender would ideally like. If we can put together a good defence then hopefully you can get the possession suspended.

Ell

Budget Sheet.xls

• Haha 1

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there, I take it you have not returned the defence forms to the court? If that is the case then you will need to take a statement with you to hand to the judge outlining your offer - I can help you with that.

You will also need to include a budget sheet (I have affixed the one we use to this post). When you fill it in you need to remember that the amount you are offering towards the arrears each month in addition to the normal monthly payment, is the amount left over after everything else has been paid.

In order to start to draft a statement for you, I need some information:

What was the reason for the arrears?

Is the mortgage in joint names?

Do you have any children?

Do you have a statement from the lender showing arrears? if so, how much of the amount they claim is arrears is actually monthly charges?

There is case law we can use that the court can consider, which gives the judge the power to order the arrears can be paid over a longer period of time than the lender would ideally like. If we can put together a good defence then hopefully you can get the possession suspended.

Ell

Hi Ell-enn, many thanks for your reply and the budget sheet.

In answer to your questions:

1) Reason for arrears was initially a 2 yr Vat investigation in 06. They reckoned I owed £248k. I was guilty until I could prove my innocence. All my suppliers were visited, 4 court dates - 3 cancelled the evening before, the 4th

the revenue's solicitor forgot his file. Long story short, I managed to settle for £3k as my business was wrecked and had £5k accountant fees etc. managed to get going again and the recession happened and had a few bad debtors, currently getting back on my feet but very slowly.

2)Mortgage is in joint names

3)2 children under 18

4)Currently looking for the last statement. I'm not sure I've had anything listing extra charges. I'm sure they mentioned something about £125 extra per month but will check that.

Rgds

OK, I'll make a start - we can finalise over the next couple of days. Let me know if you can find a statement or anything detailing charges. The amount of arrears they claim you owe will have those arrears charges added in and therefore the total arrears is wrong - we need to point out to the judge that the true arrears are lower.

How many months payments do you think you have missed?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Can I add....

That in addition to the I & E, and the relevant case law; Cheltenham & Gloucester v Norgan (I think it may also be worth quoting from the FSA reguations on lenders duty to Treat Customers Fairly. Please view the FSA site at: FSA reiterates call for firms to treat customers fairly in current market conditions

There should be NO lender that should be seen to NOT have these principles embedded in their business practices on any regulated mortgage.

The regulations are there to help consumers keep a roof over their heads and stave off the high level of repossessions that Lenders previously seemed to enjoy.

Hope this helps : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Thanks Applecart, I'll read up on those links later.

Ell-enn,

I had a few missed months in early 08 but gave them £3k in June 08 which I think made me one repayment in arrears. However after that I failed to give them any further money, or at least little of consequence.

So I reckon I'm maybe 14-15 months in arrears.

Current outstanding figure according to Preferred/Capstone in their last letter of Oct 20th is £14,336.83.

Extra charges -

For every month in arrears -£45 (although got 2 arrears fees in Sept 08 of £45 and £50)

Then the fee changed to a Litagation Man Fee of £115 per month.

Furthermore I had a man (very friendly I might add) call around twice and I'm sure he said he cost me £100 per visit but I see no note of this in their quarterly statements.

So I think extra charges total at least £1,600 - 1,800 and no doubt there's a further charge or two for the hearing, checking of occupancy, solicitor's letters, referral to solicitors etc. Incidentally, perhaps of no real importance, but the outfit that arranged the mortgage in 05 grabbed £2,200 for their trouble.

I will leave advice to the expert. I just wanted to add my moral support.

I had very similar circumstances including missed payments, arrears, charges, visits, etc. I also had Customs after me for £15k ( Vat ) going back to 1999.

I wont pretend its been an easy ride, but the thing i regret the most is doing nothing until i had to.

You WILL be ok. But you need to act.

You CAN do it.

IM STILL HERE.

Good Luck.

• Haha 1

Do you have to call them? I doubt if it will make any difference to the hearing on Monday. To be honest they won't agree to extending the term of the mortgage - but they will have to consider your offer of payment towards the arrears. However, it's not up to Capstone - ultimately the judge will have the final say.

If we had time we could have sent a letter to them asking them to consider various options, but it's too late to do that before Monday.

Ell

on the contrary, even at this late stage it is still worth putting an offer in to them - even on the day of the trial you can make an offer towards the arrears

They do not have any posssession order right now as I understand it - so you can still make an offer.

the strategy is to make an offer of what you can afford - if they do not accept after having taken into account your income and expenditure - th worse case scenerio is that you let the Judge know about their refusal to accept your offer on the day - you then advise of the ruling in the C&G v Norgren case and it may be that the amount you are looking to offer is reduced by the Judge on the day.

Please - Never be 'worried' about speaking to your lender - you say you've taken your head of the sand - so ring them up, make an offer and wait for the response - whatever they say; if not in your interest - make a note and advise on the trial date to the Judge.

They must be seen to treat you fairly having weighed up the facts in your personal circumstances....

Hope this helps

apple : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Thanks all for your comments.

Well, I rang Capstone and spoke to a nice and friendly bloke who seemed sympathetic to my case and even said that I shouldn't be too worried about the hearing. He said it wouldn't be as daunting as I thought and that the whole point was to arrive at a practicable solution for all concerned. Hmmm.

Then went through a brief I and E calculation although there were some figures I couldn't be too accurate with. He said that if there was disposable income left then there was little chance of extending the term which I guess is fair enough. He also added that any decisions rest with the judge rather than Capstone at this stage as mentioned by Ell-enn.

So I've now got to decide on what exactly we can offer or more specifically what the court will accept. Although we can restart payments next month and are quite confident that maintaining the payments won't be an issue it's difficult to know what the future holds with regard to any extra payments. It should be ok but...well.

Ell-enn we've filled in you I & E sheet and there is some extra money left but by no means a lot. Are we allowed to have some measure of rainy day money? With kids and running a house there is always some sort of minor emergency or something that needs money.

Just to add that the only figures that Capstone could supply regarding the extra charges was that over the past 12 months there were nearly £1,400 worth of extra charges and fees.

Edited by Noel905r

DO NOT offer more than you can afford. If its only £20 PCM then offer that. The last thing you want to do is to be going through this again in 6 months or so because you have over stretched yourself.

What the judge will be looking for is your intentions to resume regular monthly payments as per the mortgage contract.

You can ask that the situation is reviewed in say 6 months time when you hope to be in a more favourable financial position.

DO NOT offer more than you can afford. If its only £20 PCM then offer that. The last thing you want to do is to be going through this again in 6 months or so because you have over stretched yourself.

What the judge will be looking for is your intentions to resume regular monthly payments as per the mortgage contract.

You can ask that the situation is reviewed in say 6 months time when you hope to be in a more favourable financial position.

Thanks, makes good sense. Will the likes of £20 per month extra be taken seriously by the court?

Other than my I & E sheet and my proposals what else should I take? Do I need any documentary stuff like bank statements, pay slips or evidence of my business improving etc?

I presume I should highlight to the court the extra charges that have been applied by Capstone to my account?

Hi there, I can do a statement for you to take to court and post it on here tomorrow morning - is that OK?

That would be fantastic. Although my hearing is at midday and we'll be leaving around 9.30 as we're a couple of hours away from the court.

Other than what I mentioned do I need to take anything else with me?

Rgds.

Hi there, affixed is the statement for court. You need to fill in the information where there are XXX's at the top (the info will be on the court papers) and also where your names are in the body of the statement - (remove the XX's).

You will need 3 copies of the statement and 3 copies of the budget sheet. On the top of the budget sheet write the claim number on the top left hand side and Appendix 1 on the top right hand side.

Staple three separate lots of the statement and budget sheet together. You need one for the judge, one for the other side and one for yourself to refer to in court.

I have also affixed a copy of the Norgan case law for you to read - it is not to be handed over in court the judge will be well aware of the case law! It's only so you understand what it is.

You should arrive at the court in plenty of time and ask the usher is they will give your statement to the judge before the hearing - don't worry if they say they can't interrupt you can give it to him in the room.

If there are any free legal representatives there, approach them and ask for their advice. They can accompany you into the hearing if you wish. Sometimes the representative for the other side will ask to speak to you, it is up to you whether you do or not. If you do, and you feel intimidated at any time, just end the conversation by saying you would rather wait for the judge to decide.

The hearing will take place in a private room with just the judge, you and the representative from the other side. It is usually conducted around a table, like a meeting. The public are not admitted. The judge will know that you are nervous and they are usually very good at guiding you through the process.

The judge will address the other side first as it is they who are bringing the action - don't interrupt him/her when they are speaking. When he comes to you, you should say "Sir/madam may I give you my statement" and just hand it over.

The whole procedure should take no more than 5 or 10 minutes.

Any questions, just shout.

Ell

Noel905r Statement.doc

Cheltenham & Gloucester v Norgan.doc

Ell-enn, that is so helpful of you, I'm overwhelmed to say the least. I had no idea of the protocol required, ie 3 copies etc.

I'm certainly a lot more optimistic about the whole thing.

Just one question, what is seen as realistic with regard to the amount of money on top of the normal monthly payment? Ideally an extra year or two on the loan term would be good but I think you mentioned it would be too late for that. Is £50 per month realistic? At least until matters improve?

Again, many, many thanks for your assistance.

hope everything goes ok for you.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

hi sorry if in wrong place please help advice needed

we are due to go to court to lose our house.we went bankrupt and obviously this is part of it.What i need to know is is the coucil liable to find us somewere as we have 4 kids all under 11

also they said they would have to see weather we made our selves intentionally homeless and that they would put us in a hostle.we were told we need a 3bed house if found not intentionally homeless. would we be entitled to a 3 bed in hostel while they looked into our claim.that basic said they would go through us with a fine hairbrush accounts etc mortgage etc.I have no problem with them doing that but also said social services would have to get involved to .Are they just trying to scare us to go private so its out of there hands as that what hes hoping for but as we went bankrupt theres no change of that.ANY HELP WELCOMED SORRY IF IN WRONG PLACE

Sorry about your situation Mike. Maybe start a new thread? Should get more response.

Just in the door. With regard to my own situation I have excellent news, really friendly judge and a very amiable legal guy representing Preferred/Capstone. They were most impressed with Ell-enn's paperwork and repo claim has been suspended.

I'll post a more detailed update later on.

Happy days!!

Edited by Noel905r

I'm so pleased for you, well done for being so brave :) - I know how nervous you were