Partners Ex is trying to claim bills paid after breakup

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Firstly I hope this is going in the correct forum as its first time here!

MY girlfriend has been in her house for about 3 years now. She is separated but now wants her ex off the mortgage and replace with me. They lived together for the 1st 10 months when they bought the house with a 100% mortgage.

We have both been accepted by the mortgage company but are trying to get him to sign. He has now come back with a letter stating conditions that include her paying him for monies that he put into the house for the 1st 10 months. This includes mortgage costs, stamp duty, bills etc. I know he hasn't been paying for anything since he left about 2 years ago and as far as I know there is no proof kept of these monies, but he has guesstimated a value of £6000 ish

I guess we cannot make him sign over the house? But I don't know what is best to do as we cannot afford any solicitor fees and we are now running out of our 90days that were given to sort this out by the mortgage company.

I think he is now being really bitter.

The house they bought as I mentioned was a 100% mortgage so no deposit was paid and now like many has lost lots in value. So I really can't see why he is doing this. Surely its better from him to walk out scot-free from a negative equity house that's maybe lost currently £35,000 in value

I currently see the options are

1. taking this matter further which would cost us more solicitor fees to get his name off as mentioned earlier he hasn't lived there for nearly 2 years and has not paid monies in since 2 years ago. But this would also cost him money so he may not want to do that?

2. leaving his name on their, and then settling it when the house is sold maybe 4 years down the line. But would he then be able to put these bitter conditions upon my girlfriend when she goes to sell up?

I'm at a bit of a loss at what to do so any advice is greatly appreciated

thanks

Hi

Why not sit down and work out the total of what he would have contributed in mort payments and bills over those 10 months and then make him an offer based on that.

If he did contribute then its only fair of him to get something back, If it were a divorce remember he would be entitled to 50% of the value of the house and could force the sale of it to get it.

Why not try to sttle this amicably so you and your girlfriend can start afresh.