• Tweets

• Just a typo change that I'd make for the last line. Maybe also add something that says "I assume you will be fully aware that you cannot rely on a clause of a contract that you do not produce."
    • Hello, Firstly, and most importantly I am sorry for your loss. I would go back to the bank with the death certificate and ask them to step in. Remind them firmly but politely that there is no limit for DD claims   Please let us know how you get on.
    • My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • Thanks DX,   I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Computer-whizz-kid-forged-rail-tickets-ordered-pay-12-000-skipped-fares.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

He said he could offer no excuse for his client’s actions other than to say he was undergoing difficulties both at home and at work.

Read more: Computer whizz-kid who forged rail tickets ordered to pay back £12,000 in skipped fares | Mail Online

Rubbish - nasty little thief who got caught

Cant say I agree with that, in fact I have on occasions not paid the full fare on when this topic cropped up recently I was suprised that most of my friends had too, they (nor I) are people who would go out and steal but the huuuuge fares charged by rail companies does make it very tempting at time especially in these times of recession.

Andy

Sorry andydd

Have to disagree yes fares are high but the guy chose to live in one area and work in another I mean there MUST be IT jobs in Brighton - I pay over £40 a week for my fares but its my choice to work in zone 5 when I live in zone 1 and my husband is out of work and times are hard but I PAY my fares

I would like a nice joint of Lamb for Sunday lunch but the price is huuuge and there is a recession on - does that mean I have the right to go into Asda and shove one down my knickers and walk out with it - no thats theft

Tell me what the difference is

Sorry andydd

Have to disagree yes fares are high but the guy chose to live in one area and work in another I mean there MUST be IT jobs in Brighton - I pay over £40 a week for my fares but its my choice to work in zone 5 when I live in zone 1 and my husband is out of work and times are hard but I PAY my fares

I would like a nice joint of Lamb for Sunday lunch but the price is huuuge and there is a recession on - does that mean I have the right to go into Asda and shove one down my knickers and walk out with it - no thats theft

Tell me what the difference is

Shoplifting is a victimless crime........like punching someone in the dark - Nelson Muntz

no andy is not like that, just a social comment on what shoplifters think is an acceptable excuse. not!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no andy is not like that, just a social comment on what shoplifters think is an acceptable excuse. not!

dx

dx..Why thank you, if anyone actually watched that particular episode it is rather a moral one and young Bart gets his comeuppance, as did the train ticket forger, but I wouldn't put him in the 'nasty' list im afraid thats for real criminals, murderers, thugs, child molesters, drug dealers...

I personally feel no animosity towards someone who screwed a TOC out of some money, although while I have (on occasion) bunked a few fares (as I would suggest have the majority of londoners at one time or another), I admit continually forging tickets is a bit much !

As for this being an 'adult' forum you, they obviously havn't visted the Bear garden recently..hee

:)

You'll note that not one of the news reports on this subject mentions how much Mr Moore was earning whilst stealing more than £12,000 worth of rail travel.

I know that railways revenue protection and the decision to prosecute isn't seen as the most freindly of occupations, but I have always tried to be scrupulously fair in dealing with these issues.

In my long experience, I have found that a very high proportion of those who go out of their way to steal rail fares fall in the category that are most able to pay. These are people who steal just because they can!

I have great sympathy with those hit hardest by high fares and low salaries, but the law is the law and I don't agree that we can use such an excuse as 'fares are too high so it's Ok not to pay' in order to erode society's morals still further.

By his actions Mr Moore stole a considerable amount in terms of unpaid rail fares whilst the vast majority of law-abiding and decent people make sacrifices in order to maintain their dignity and integrity.

I don't defend high fares, but I do applaud high morals.

You'll note that not one of the news reports on this subject mentions how much Mr Moore was earning whilst stealing more than £12,000 worth of rail travel.

I know that railways revenue protection and the decision to prosecute isn't seen as the most freindly of occupations, but I have always tried to be scrupulously fair in dealing with these issues.

In my long experience, I have found that a very high proportion of those who go out of their way to steal rail fares fall in the category that are most able to pay. These are people who steal just because they can!

I have great sympathy with those hit hardest by high fares and low salaries, but the law is the law and I don't agree that we can use such an excuse as 'fares are too high so it's Ok not to pay' in order to erode society's morals still further.

By his actions Mr Moore stole a considerable amount in terms of unpaid rail fares whilst the vast majority of law-abiding and decent people make sacrifices in order to maintain their dignity and integrity.

I don't defend high fares, but I do applaud high morals.

I suppose a large part of this problem is that there is (or appears to be) no competition on the railway lines, they seem to be able to increase fares year after year, if my local supermarket did this the customers would say 'screw this, im goinmg to the cheaper xx one day the road'.

Before I was made redundant, my season ticket was my single biggest monthly expense, even more than my mortage ! and I can say honestly I didnt think it was value for money, the train staff seemed to strike at the drop of a hat for ever higher wage increases whilst no doubt many of the passangers would be accepting pay cuts and freezes. I accept that travelling without a ticket is unlawful, and I consider myself a very moral person and I wouldn't dream of shoplifting or being invloved in crime but I did on occasion not buy a full ticket, the complexities of peak/off peak/rail/oyster/tfl travel does provide many options to travel just 1 or 2 stops further than your ticket allows and save a great deal of money. Obvioulsy this is somewhat different than sitting at home printing off fake tickets, although most train companies could easily wipe out this type of fraud by investing in a smart card system like Oyster, however they were all nearly too greedy to invest in such a sytem even when given some cash incentives by ol' Ken.

Andy

most train companies could easily wipe out this type of fraud by investing in a smart card system like Oyster, however they were all nearly too greedy to invest in such a sytem even when given some cash incentives by ol' Ken.

Andy

This simply isn't true Andy.

I do sympathise with the fact that rail fares are a very big expense and proportionately higher than any other form of travel, but to believe that smartcard ticketing could wipe it out at a stroke is simply not true.

The Oyster system simply provides different ways of fiddling fares and these are only too readily exploited by the deliberate fare evader.

A great many offenders are being brought to book and many known fiddles are targeted daily by revenue staff, but as the ticket system evolves, so do the fiddles.

The Magistrates Courts will always be filled with such cases and it is worth noting that a more serious view of this is being taken by the Courts, with harsher penalties being imposed on a regular basis.

This simply isn't true Andy.

I do sympathise with the fact that rail fares are a very big expense and proportionately higher than any other form of travel, but to believe that smartcard ticketing could wipe it out at a stroke is simply not true.

The Oyster system simply provides different ways of fiddling fares and these are only too readily exploited by the deliberate fare evader.

A great many offenders are being brought to book and many known fiddles are targeted daily by revenue staff, but as the ticket system evolves, so do the fiddles.

The Magistrates Courts will always be filled with such cases and it is worth noting that a more serious view of this is being taken by the Courts, with harsher penalties being imposed on a regular basis.

Ok..fair point, it would add other ways of evading fares but this case (the guy printing off tickets with a printer), would be eliminated, you try making an oyster card at home, I'm currently sitting here with chopped up credit cards, sticky back plastic and old yoghurt pot and it aint working !

Although I believe this guy didnt get a harsh penalty, didnt he get a suspended sentence and just had to pay the money back ? (depending on his earnings this could take many many years)

Andy

Andy

Bear in mind that fares are made higher by exactly this type of action.

If I saw a TV in a shop and felt it was too expensive - I wouldnt walk out with it, I would simply not buy.

this person had a choice - what they cannot choose is to think a service is too expensive and then use it anyway.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

He has a suspended prison sentence of 9 months and had to pay the prosecution costs of £510 in addition to compensation of the £12k+ in fares that he had avoided.

You're right, that is not a 'harsh' penalty given the pre-meditated intent that is clearly evident in this case.

He was described in Court as an IT Consultant, apparently a 'computer whizz kid'.

Given his profession and the fact that most people are full aware of the likely remuneration for top earners in this work, I'd like people to hazard a guess at his average earnings at the time of offending to see in their own minds whether he was treated harshly or not?

In my mind, one thing is certain, he wasn't struggling to keep a job and pay a mortgage on less than average wages whilst bringing up a young family to be decent and honest citizens.

It may not have escaped your notice that I have no sympathy for the fact that he was caught and prosecuted.

Given his profession and the fact that most people are full aware of the likely remuneration for this work, I'd like people to hazard a guess at his average earnings at the time of offending to see in their own minds whether he was treated harshly or not?

Whilst not disagreeing with your point, I do feel I need to point out that the stereotyping of IT workers earning megabucks is completely false - and I am speaking from experience....

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Whilst not disagreeing with your point, I do feel I need to point out that the stereotyping of IT workers earning megabucks is completely false - and I am speaking from experience....

I agree completely, but we are discussing the convicted fare evader Mr Moore.

My point is that he was described as an IT consultant and a 'whizz kid' at the higher level of his profession.........

Top skills usually command top dollar.......

Bear in mind that fares are made higher by exactly this type of action.

If I saw a TV in a shop and felt it was too expensive - I wouldnt walk out with it, I would simply not buy.

this person had a choice - what they cannot choose is to think a service is too expensive and then use it anyway.

True..but fares are almost made higher by recession and less people travelling,government intervention in wanting a huge cut of the profits, rail workers continually striking, fat cat shareholders, and the fact that method for working out ticket rises is rather unfair (i.e this year they were allowed to raise them steeply despite being in a recession.

The TV analogy is fair but not strictly accurate, many people find that they have no choice but to travel to work, 'get a local job' wont be a fair answer because there often arnt any, they have found like me that price rises such as gas, leccy, etc have eaten away at their wages and they reach the decision to sometimes travelling without paying, it may be wrong and unlawful but so is downloading copyrighted films and music, yet I'm sure a large number of us here do that without a second thought.

I have to agree with the point about people earning top bucks in IT..It just isnt so, I speak from experience too.

Andy

Andy

Of course people have no choice but to travel. but that still doesnt justify skipping the fare.

but so is downloading copyrighted films and music, yet I'm sure a large number of us here do that without a second thought.

Absolutely. I also bet that 99.9% of them would agree that what they are doing is wrong.

Of course people have no choice but to travel. but that still doesnt justify skipping the fare.

Absolutely. I also bet that 99.9% of them would agree that what they are doing is wrong.

HHmm..but they cant feel its that wrong is they still do it.:D

Thats not the point is it to be fair.

I never disputed that "people skip fares".

I disputed that the treatment of such people WHEN CAUGHT is unfair, due to political mumbo jumbo about high fares.

• 3 weeks later...

I do hope the inspector who caught him got a bonus (although I suspect not) as they were VERY good forgeries IME, I expect the rears were blank though.

He's very very lucky to get the fine and repayment order, he could have got 3 months imprisonment for fare evasion, and if (unlikely) he'd been prosecuted for forgery a maximum of 10 years!