benefit confusion - advice please

sorrylittlelot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5371 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I am hoping for some advice.

In a nutshell I live with my girlfriend who works 16 hours per week and our 18 month old son.

I started claimg JSA in Nov 2008 due to redundancy, I was receiving this along with housing benefit etc up until June 6th 2009 when I went into hospital for a knee reconstruction, at this point I received ESA and housing benefit.

I am still on ESA, however my council has stopped my payments and say I have been over paid by almost £700 as I have gone from ESA income based to ESA contribution based.

My knee is about 80% now so I am looking for a job, my query is whether I should claim ESA or JSA, what will be more beneficial towards me financialy? I'm hoping to get housing benefit as without it I do not have the means to pay the rent.

We receive working tax credits, child benefit, and we were receiving council tax benefit and housing benefit.

All help glady accepted with many thanks

I'm worse at what I do best and for this gift I feel blessed

Did your girlfriend recently start work, or increase her hours to 16 per week? There must be some reason why you moved from income-based ESA to the contributory benefit.

In any case, you and your girlfriend could possibly still be entitled to housing benefit and council tax benefit, but you would need to approach the council directly, and claim on the basis of your low income - the process is different now that you're on ESA ©, but you're not disqualified from applying. This would apply whether you were on ESA or JSA.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi Sorrylittlelot, You should still be able to claim Housing benefit/Council tax unless your Girlfriend is earning more than she should, even though she works just 16 hrs, it's the amount that is taken into account. Jobcentre will be able to tell you what she can earn without it affecting your benefits. In any event you should still be eligible for some help towards HB/CT. If you have a Disability then claim ESA if not then claim JSA neither should make any difference to the level of benefit. If still unsure ring CAB. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks all,

my GF returned to work on July 1st 2009 working 16 hours per week.

I spoke to the council and they say the government states we should be able to live on £176 per week so my incomings and outgoings for rent leaves a diffrence of £96 and we have a surplus £126 or something a week according to them.

I just don'r see how they work it out, I am still getting exactly the same coming in and going out.

Bit of a clearer post.

Myself, my partner and ouy 18 month old son rent a 3 bedrom house, I am on ESA contribution based and my partner works 16 hours a week (began July 1st)

we get all other benefits eg child/working tax.

Today we got a letter saying we owe £800 back to council due to overpayments since my partner started work a month ago.

Is there anything else we can claim?

Will I be better off being on JSA as I am nearly recoverd from my operation and I am looking for work (my sick note runs out tomorrow 28 Aug)

If they are saying that they have overpaid you, then that means you failed to notify them in time that your OH was working.

If you feel that you are ready to go back to work then tell them, otherwise you will only find yourself paying them more money back.

Benefits are their for those who need to legitimately claim them because of disability or illness, not as a means of trying to see which benefits you should claim in order to furnish a lavish lifestyle.

A three bed house would be the first thing to look at leaving if you need to claim benefits.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Benefits are their for those who need to legitimately claim them because of disability or illness, not as a means of trying to see which benefits you should claim in order to furnish a lavish lifestyle.

A three bed house would be the first thing to look at leaving if you need to claim benefits.

The OP was made redundant in November and then had an operation on his knee which he is still recovering from.

I hardly think that claiming what they are entitled to can be classed as trying to "furnish a lavish lifestyle"

To suggest that because of their unfortunate situation over the last 9-10 months they should give up their home is quite unnecessary.

sorrylittlelot

I'm not sure whether there are any other benefits that you are entitled to but try checking the following link

entitled to

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

I hardly think that claiming what they are entitled to can be classed as trying to "furnish a lavish lifestyle"

For anyone that has ever needed to claim benefits, there is absolutely no way you could ever furnish a lavish lifestyle on the pittance you receive.

To suggest that because of their unfortunate situation over the last 9-10 months they should give up their home is quite unnecessary.

But extremely realistic, and may seem unnecessary to you, but it is fair to say that peoples situations change, some for the worse, and with it you have to make tough choices.

Giving up a house which is too large and costs a small fortune to heat/furnish/clean/ and live in, is the obvious choice to leave behind.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!