Clarification of 6 year ruling

jayne67
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have just read the thread by Bankfodder, regarding claiming charges that are more than 6 years old.

Do I just send the SAR, taking out the 6 year bit, or do I request them to send all data for xx number of years?

(Actually the account has been closed for about 6 years, would this make a difference?)

We were really scr***d by barclays, and I would love to get my money back after all this time.

Is this possible??

Abbey - Prelim sent 17th May £2560.00 + £191.44

LBA sent 1st June

Claim Filed 27th June 3349.90 Inc Interest + Costs

Court Papers Served 3rd July

Claim Acknowledged 10th July

50% Offered 27th July

Settled Out Of Court 1st August £3080.45

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request 31st July

I think if you had got your statements going back further than 6 years you could try, but I think all you are going to get from Barclays is them saving that they don't hold details that far back.

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

Thanks Tigs,

Unfortunately I don't have the statements, like I said it was a long time ago. Oh well worth a try.

Jayne

LBA sent 1st June

50% Offered 27th July

Jayne

FWIW i believe the SAR can be for all data they hold on you. If you account was closed a long time ago they may have destroyed all you old records.

Personally if i had a tenner and wanted to find out for sure i would write to them.

They will send the standard fob off letters i expect but at some stage they will tell you they dont have the records.

It may be that at that stage you ask them how and when they disposed of your records and ask for written confirmation that they have done so.

I am not certain that bluff is an accepted way of talking to the bank, but i would suggest to them that you want to make a claim for the return of unlawful charges and need the letter for your claim.

You might tell them that you need the data to confrim your estimate and that the fact they have destoryed your data will be required as part of your court submission.

To estimate you really need at least some evidence on which to base your estimate and it would be good so fi they ultimately send anything it will be good. Personally I wouldnt tell them i didnt have any statements.

I am not certain how to proceed following that becasue even if you get some statements you probably know the banks are arguing that all claims are time barred if more than 6 years old.

I dont agree with that statement on the basis I am certain that the banks knew about the potnetial for their chagres to be ruled unlawful, if they knew and concelaed the fact then I dont believe the limitation act is applicable. Proving the argument is another issue though.

Anyway Im only guessing, in your place id really like to try hopefully somoene with more experience and knowledge will reply.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I managed to obtain 15 years statements from the BOS. I simply asked for all statments from the opening date of account. No quibbles. I am in Scotland with a business account so I don`t know if this applies to personal accounts.

Lukester Vs BOS

.....and using a standard SAR, Barclays sent me statements back to 1998. I suppose there's nothing to stop you working out your charges that far back and making an estimate of the rest. I think there's a thread by Spiceskull who is in the process of doing this at the moment.

First Direct - Settled in full 01/07

Capital One - Settled in full 06/10/06

MINT - Settled In Full 30/08/06

HSBC - Settled in Full 15/12/06

Barclays - - Settled in Full 29/11/06

Morgan Stanley - Settled In Full 03/10/06

MBNA - Settled In Full 23/09

American Express - Settled in Full 30/11/06 via bailiffs

Thanks for all your replies. You have been most helpful. I think I will go ahead with the SAR, and see what transpires. What have I got to lose? 10.00? Small price to pay really for what I may find.

Thanks again for your help.

Jayne

LBA sent 1st June

50% Offered 27th July

But does the S32 (1) (b) rule not apply?

Jayne

LBA sent 1st June

50% Offered 27th July