• Tweets

• Honestly you are all amazing on this site, thank you so much for your help and time. ill keep an eye out and only return when i receive a claim letter for sure also, i updated my address with amex and tsb before i even missed payments. the initial address was my family home but i dont reside there. to avoid a bombardment of letters there i have now updated my address, will they send all threats etc to the new address? Or old address?   do you reccomend i send both tsb and amex my update in address via a letter?
    • Your point 4 deals with that and puts them to strict proof .....but realistically they are not in a position to state that within their particulars they were not the creditor at the time of default but naturally assume the OC would have...so always worth challenging and if you get a DJ who knows his onions on the day may ask for further evidence from the OC internal accounts system. 
    • I see, shame, I think if a claim is 'someone was served' then proof of that should be mandatory. Appreciate your input into the WS whenever you get chance, thanks in advance
    • Paper trail off the original creditor often confirms the default and issue of a notice...not having or being able to disclose the actual copy or being able to produce a copy less so. Creditors are not compelled to keep copies of the actual default notice so you will in most cases get a reconstituted version but must contain accurate figures/dates/format.     .    
    • Including Default Notice Andy? Ok, I think this is the best I can do.. it all makes sense with references to their WS. They have included exhibits that dates don't match the WS about them, small but still.. if you're going to reference letters giving dates, then the exhibits should be correct, no? I know I redacted them too much, but one of the dates differs to the WS by a few months. IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim. 1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 24/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Genesco V Kensington

genesco
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am considering reclaiming my Early Repayment Charge back £9000+ I have recently changed my mortgage because I was on an discounted rate for a year but then went up to an extortionate 9% It was a three year interest only contract and I swopped at 18months.

Has anyone got a sample letter I can see or what do you have to change on the standard DPA letter. I already have how much my redemption fee was.

What else can I claim for.

ON my final statement I had to pay

Redemption Fee

Early Repayment Charge

My start balance was £161.697

What I paid back was £171.518

I only went with them cause I had bad Credit.

Can anyone help

Hi Genesco

Have you had any luck with these questions? I am interested to know about reclaiming an early redemption from the same lender!

Dinahjl :grin:

HSBC - 2 Accounts - owe us £5.8K

10 Aug offer received of 50% owed on smaller account. We Replied and REJECTED offer

11 Aug 2nd offer made on same account - £500 higher! REJECTED AGAIN

18 AugMoneyclaim submitted for £3848 on main account. ACKNOWLEDGED 23 Aug.

30 Aug Moneclaim prepared for 2nd acc £2389.56

9 Sept RECEIVED OFFER IN FULL SETTLEMENT OF £6134.30:-D :-D :-D

If you have found my advice or comments helpful - please rate them by using the scales above. THANK YOU:)

Hi,

If the charges are made in relation to your breach of contract, ie ending the mortgage before the contractualy agrred time, then Kensington will have to show that the fees are a genuine pre-estimate of the their loss. It doesn't really matter what they call the charge.

I used an adaptation of the template:

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXX

Request for repayment of charges

Dear XXXX,

Our request

We are writing to ask you to refund the charges which you have levied from our account in respect of late payment fees to the sum of £XXX , the sum of £XXX representing the contractual rate of interest applied by yourselves in respect of the said charges (Please find enclosed schedule of charges detailing dates, amounts and interest) and xxx in respect of a redemption fee. We now understand that such fees are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer Regulations.

In the case of Castaneda and Others v. Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (1904) 12 SLT 498 the House of Lords held that a contractual party can only recover damages for actual or liquidated losses incurred from a breach of contract as oppose to a charge which represents a penalty. This law was confirmed and upheld in Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor Co Ltd [1915] AC 79. A charge will be held to be a penalty if the sum stipulated for is extravagant and unconscionable in amount in comparison to the greatest loss that could conceivably be proved to have followed from the breach. A penalty clause is void in its entirety and unenforceable.

In addition your charges appear to represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (SI. 1999/2083). Our account falls within the ambit of Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 as we are consumers. Your charges constitute an unfair penalty under Schedule 2 of the said Regulations which provide an indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair. Under paragraph 1(e) of schedule 2 this specifically includes terms which have the object of requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.

Also it has now been confirmed that your penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

We believe that the charges you have levied varying between £10.00 and £30.00 for late payment far exceed any true cost to yourself as a result of our breach. If you disagree, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put to as a result of our breaches, in order to reassure us that your charges really do reflect your costs.

Your responsibilities

We would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that we took out the loan. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

We are frankly shocked that you have operated our account in this way as we had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise. We consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived us into agreeing to pay them. Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented us from asserting our rights until now.

Our targets to resolve this matter

We really hope that this matter can be resolved amicably and without the need for redress to the courts. Thus we are asking that you refund the total charges which have unlawfully been levied on our account. Failure to refund all the money unlawfully taken from us will result in us taking further action. We will give you 14 days to reply accepting, unconditionally, our request in principle and letting us know a date by which we will receive payment. If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, we shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. We believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and we shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline. Thus take this letter as 28 days written notice of our intention to issue a court claim should you not comply with my request. I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

Yours faithfully,

XXXX

Hope this helps

Best of luck

Zoot

I am assuming you are aware of the implications of claiming over 5,000?

• Confused 1

Hi Zoot,

Thanks for the letter - brilliant! I am awaiting the statements and will take great delight in sending it.

Re the 5K rule - I know that the redemption charge was more than this alone, and have no idea what the other charges will be yet. If the claim is in excess of £5K can I just claim £5K in settlement? I certainly could not afford to pursue them for the return of the money if it was not in Small Claims.

Thanks again,

Dinah

10 Aug offer received of 50% owed on smaller account. We Replied and REJECTED offer

If you have found my advice or comments helpful - please rate them by using the scales above. THANK YOU:)

Hi Dinah

You might want to claim your charges separately from the redemption fee. The redemption fee you can not split and it would not make legal sense to pursue a settlement in court. You either have to pursue the full amount or nothing. The charge is either valid or invalid there is no half way house.

I see you've got a few claims in the pipeline. You might want to use the payouts to fund the redemption fee.

There are some advantages to claiming in the fast track. You can claim legal fees against Kensington if you win so it gives you as much a bargaining tool as it gives them. It might be worth making enquiries into no win no fee arrangements. Also full disclosure is required in the county court which is something the banks seem to want to avoid at all costs.

But whatever you decide to do make sure you read up carefully on all the implications. Redemption fees as yet are still relatively untested. There are several claims in the pipeline - you might want to wait and see what happens. Don't forget you have 12 years to make a claim on a mortgage. So don't rush into anything!

Great advice Zoot, I will put in my claim for unlawful charges now - and when they settle, make sure there is nothing about full and final settlement - to allow me to leave the door open to claim the redemption once I have seen how the other cases progress which are already underway.

In the meantime - I'll talk to a local firm about a no-win-no-fee arrangment - I used to work for the Partner, so I am hopeful!

Thanks again for the advice - this forum is fantastic!

Hi Gen

Money claim will invoke the same allocation process as occurs when you file a claim in court.

Basically if and when the mortgage provider files a defence this raises the allocation processes. The claim will be seen by a district judge who decides which track the claim will go on. There are three tracks: small claims, fast and multi.

The guidelines are that claims under 5,000 go to small claims, 5-15,000 go to fast and over 15,000 go to multi. There is some discretion to allow higher claims to go to a different track particularly if it is a consumer issue as the small claims is basically designed to be a consumer court. You can state your preference for the small claims court in your allocation questionnaire, but the judge will also take into account the wishes of the defendant and to be honest as your redemption fee alone is 9,000 I think you would be pretty optimistic in expecting it to be allocated to the small claims.

Hope this helps

Zoot

Thanks for the info Zoot, I am wondering if anyone can help with this query I have,

Basically Whilst changing my mortgage my present solicitors saw that my previous solicitors did not do their job properly, they never transfered my then leasehold property into a freehold in my name. So I had a hold up in my mortgage change which would of happened a few months earlier if there was not a hold up. I then had to pay for this to be done again, (I had already payed for it to be done by my previous solicitors) my present solicitors sent a letter to my previous solicitors stating that I would be looking for reimbursment.

After my mortgage had gone through I sent a letter to my previous solicitor but asking for these charges back along with what I paid them to do the job in the first place, but have had no response yet.

Should I take them to court and get what I am owed plus the amount I would have saved on my mortgage had it gone through earlier.

Can anyone be of help and is there a forum for this.

Thanking you in advanced

Hello Genesco,

Yes you can make a money claim in the same way you would with the bank charges ie preliminary letter (obviously not the template) giving 28 days notice of court action, followed by LBA after 14 days then money claim.

You can also report them to the Law Society and the OSS. If you threaten this in your first letter I would imagine they will be a little more responsive than the banks.

Best of luck

Zoot

Hi Genesco,

In addition to the money claim, I would suggest you should contact the Law Society, as all conveyancing firms (solicitors or not) are regulated by them.

I would think you can lodge an official complaint here - and if you were actually charged by them for the transfer of ownership, and they failed to refund your money having not completed this part of the work, then I would also suggest there accounts should be inspected. You are required by law, to receive a breakdown of the fees charged by solicitors when they act on your behalf and they should therefore pay for the transfer to be carried out, at their expense.

In addition, I would think you have a very strong case for some form of compensation and would ask the Law Society to advise on how to proceed in this regard - they are responsible for the actions of their members and should assist you in every way. If you can afford it, I would certainly get some advice before proceeding with a claim as you want to ensure you claim everything you can. Citizens Advice is a good place to start.

All just my opinion and experience, but I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have finally plucked up the courage to send of my 1st repayment letter to kensington, I never sent the dpa as I already know how much they owe me, lets see what my reply will be.

wondering if anyone can advise me on this;

I am sending out a dpa to First national consumer finance- I am now aware they are called GE Money;

what address should I send my letter to;

and will it affect my new mortgage that I have recently taken out with them.

The old finance was through a holiday compay called GVC but i got into a bit of finance trouble and they took me to court to recover all there money and got a order on my house. I have now paid them back all their money, but would like to see if I can get some of the charges they charged me on missed payments back.

Hi Genesco,

A claim for charges against a company with whom your current mortgage is kept may be tricky. Whilst they can not simply close your mortgage down, you may need them to be sympathetic in the future. I'm not sure what GE money are like as regards to general sympathy in times of difficulty. Some lenders show no mercy in any event so its worth taking those on. You might want to do a search on this site for GE money and see how others have faired against them. If you do decide to proceed their address:

Sarah Wainwright

Data Protection Administration

GE Money

P O Box 700

Leeds

LS99 2BD

Hope this helps

Zoot

Hi Genesco,

In addition to the money claim, I would suggest you should contact the Law Society, as all conveyancing firms (solicitors or not) are regulated by them.

I would think you can lodge an official complaint here - and if you were actually charged by them for the transfer of ownership, and they failed to refund your money having not completed this part of the work, then I would also suggest there accounts should be inspected. You are required by law, to receive a breakdown of the fees charged by solicitors when they act on your behalf and they should therefore pay for the transfer to be carried out, at their expense.

In addition, I would think you have a very strong case for some form of compensation and would ask the Law Society to advise on how to proceed in this regard - they are responsible for the actions of their members and should assist you in every way. If you can afford it, I would certainly get some advice before proceeding with a claim as you want to ensure you claim everything you can. Citizens Advice is a good place to start.

All just my opinion and experience, but I hope this helps.

Hi I have now lodged a complaint with the law society and sent them all my correspondance in and am currently waiting for a caseworker to be assigned to me.

I have also contacted the solicitors in question because not only were they not reponding to my leters they also hadn't paid a fine from the inland revenue which was inccured because they never registered the freehold on time. and I am now be threaterned with recovery of money being actioned.

After another phone call to the firm they have now sent me a cheque for the amount witch my current solicitors charged but They haven't even offerd me compensation for distress, Shall I still wait to be allocated a caseworker from the law society as the haven't dealt with the inland revenue.

Graetful for any advice

Hi All, I have recieved my first standard letter back from kensington, saying the will give me a full repsonse within 14 days of my letter date.

I have finally plucked up the courage to send of my 1st repayment letter to kensington, I never sent the Data Protection Act as I already know how much they owe me, lets see what my reply will be.

Hi Genesco

I to rec'd the standard letter from Kensington - I sent another request & rec'd a similar vague responce. I'm now debating whether to issue court proceedings - I'm keeping an eye on jamorgans thread as a claim was registered against Kensington on 19th Sept. I may wait fo rthe outcome of that. I paid £5,600 to them to get out of my mortgage early - to get that back would make a huge difference.

Fingers crossed & good luck.

Ellielou

;)

Halifax 1

WON - £1,355.49 21/07/06

MINT

WON - £273.81 14/09/06

First Direct

WON - £913.50 01/09/06

Capital One

WON - £130.13 03/11/06

Halifax 2

WON - £188.03 01/12/06

Kensington Mortgages ERC

MCOL for £6,204.39 Discontinued

Halifax Mortgage Admin fee

WON - £10.00

Direct Line Mortgage Redemption Fee

WON - £99.00

Halifax 3

MCOL for £109.01 reg 07/03/07

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/redemptionfees/

Please sign this petition x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Today I recieved another letter from kensington saying:

"I have been thoroughly investigating all of the points that you raised.

I want to ensure that I can provide you with a suitable and complete response to your letter. I will therefore need a further seven days to fully research the issues raised."

John Bailey.

Is this a standard letter or could it be that they are not sure what to do.

Should I give them a further 7 days, or should I send out the LBA.

They still have 2 days to respond to my 1st request letter in full.

I never sent out a DPA as I already knew how much I wanted.

Any advice would be good.

Keep to your timetable, dson't let them set it or it'll go on forever! If its time to send LBA then send it!

Good luck, Sam

I'm a Foolish person

IGroup ERC £1928.64 Ist letter sent 12/9

LBA sent 26/9

Moneyclaim input 13/10

Claim acknowledged 6/11

Received fob off letter 11/11

AQs sent back, IGroup request multitrack and hearing

Hi Genesco

I received the same letter from them last week. This is the 3rd chance I've given them to supply me with figures. The 14th day after the letter will be Thursday 12th Oct. Not sure whether to register the claim after that - I'm after £5,600 and it'll cost me £250 to register. I really can't afford to lose that amount of money or more if they choose to defend. I'm hoping to hear that others have been paid out first.

I know I'm just bottling it :rolleyes:

Halifax 1

WON - £1,355.49 21/07/06

MINT

WON - £273.81 14/09/06

First Direct

WON - £913.50 01/09/06

Capital One

WON - £130.13 03/11/06

Halifax 2

WON - £188.03 01/12/06

Kensington Mortgages ERC

MCOL for £6,204.39 Discontinued

Halifax Mortgage Admin fee

WON - £10.00

Direct Line Mortgage Redemption Fee

WON - £99.00

Halifax 3

MCOL for £109.01 reg 07/03/07

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/redemptionfees/

Please sign this petition x

Hi Genesco

I received the same letter from them last week. This is the 3rd chance I've given them to supply me with figures. The 14th day after the letter will be Thursday 12th Oct. Not sure whether to register the claim after that - I'm after £5,600 and it'll cost me £250 to register. I really can't afford to lose that amount of money or more if they choose to defend. I'm hoping to hear that others have been paid out first.

I know I'm just bottling it :rolleyes:

I would say that you being unable/unwilling to shell out £250 is exactly what they are counting on. Good old Kensington. :roll:

Kensington Mortgages: letter sent 3/10 requesting fee breakdown

Smile bank: letter sent 3/10 requesting fee breakdown

GE Capital: letter sent 3/10 requesting fee breakdown

Kensington Mortgages: first letter re £13k ERC sent 3/10

MBNA: letter sent 3/10 requesting fee breakdown

Morgan Stanley: letter sent 3/10 requesting fee breakdown

Those B*stards have got my money & I want it back!!! Now!!!