• Tweets

• Probably to do with the Creditor accepting the reduced payments claim as part of the IVA. - Thats my guess anyway.  As for the mount outstanding... 60k is incredible and im pretty sure a DRO wouldnt cover that much even after the new legislation.    For you @Alfy - Please stay headstrong and stop worrying. My viewpoint on debt with debt collectors is simple. You are a figure on a spreadsheet loaded into a database for them to run a collection cycle through.  They dont care about emotions or your situation, they just care about paying off their shareholders and trying to turn a profit.  They use varying tactics to increase the pressure on you to the point where you will break. People then fall for this an either cave in to DCAs before doing their own due diligence on the debts that are purchased or turn to IVAs like you have.    They are better ways to handle this and Im glad you feel better after a good nights sleep - I hope you can keep it up. 
    • Good afternoon,    I am writing in reference to the retail dispute number ****, between myself and Newton Autos concerning the sale of a Toyota Avensis which has been found to have serious mechanical faults.    As explained previously the car was found to be faulty just six days after purchase. The car had numerous fault codes that appeared on the dash board and went into limp mode. This required assistance from the AA and this evidence has already been provided. The car continues to exhibit these faults and has been diagnosed as having faults with the fuel injectors which will require major mechanical investigation and repairs.    Newton Autos did not make me aware of any faults upon purchase of the vehicle and sold it as being in good condition.    Newton Autos have also refused to honour their responsibilities under The Consumer Rights Act 2015 which requires them to refund the customer if the goods are found to be faulty and not fit for purpose within 30 days of purchase.    Newton Autos also refused to accept my rejection of the vehicle and refused to refund the car and accept the return of the vehicle.    It is clear to me that the car is not fit for purpose as these mechanical faults occurred so soon after purchase and have been shown to be present by both the AA and an independent mechanic.   Kind regards
    • Commercial Landlords are legally allowed to sue for early cancellation of the lease. You can only surrender your lease if your landlord agrees to your doing so. They are under no obligation even to consider your request and are entitled to refuse. You cannot use this as an excuse not to pay your rent. Your landlord is most likely to agree to your surrendering the lease if they want the property back in order to redevelop it, or if they wants to rent it to what they regards as a better tenant or at a higher rent. There are two types of surrender: Express surrender in writing. This is a written document which sets out the terms of the surrender. Implied surrender by conduct. (applies to your position) You can move out of the property you leased, simply hand your keys back and the lease will come to an end, but only if the landlord agrees to accept your surrender. Many tenants have thought they can simply post the keys through the landlord's letter box and the lease is ended. This is not true and without a document from the landlord, not only do you not know if the landlord has accepted the surrender, you also do not know on what basis they have accepted and could find they sue you for rent arrears, service charge arrears, damage to the property and compensation for your attempt to leave the property without the landlord's agreement. Unless you are absolutely certain that the landlord is agreeable to your departure, you should not attempt to imply a surrender by relying on your and the landlord's conduct.  
    • I had to deal with these last year worst DCA I have ever dealt with. Just wait for the constant threats of CCJ and how you'll lose in court and how they won't do mediation and they want the judge to question you with a load of "BIG" words to boot with the letter. My case was struck out in the end, stupidity on their part as I admitted to owing the debt in the end going through the court process was just a formality as they wouldn't let it drop despite me admitting the debt regardless. They didn't send the last part of the court paper work in so it ended up being struck out     .
    • Well, that's it then. Clear proof of the rubbish cameras. Clear proof of double dipping. G24 won't be getting a penny. Belt & braces, I would write to the address LFI has found, include the evidence of double dipping, and ask Fraser Group to call their dogs off.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help needed with BoS credit card agreement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hmm, scan it using the recommended sites, and just post it, I also have great difficulty making my agreements readable using photobucket, but to be honest if they have sent you documentation which even you are unable to legibly read then it is deemed unenforceable.

BOS, which I am assuming you mean, blair oliver and scott, are the 'in house' debt collection agency used by Bank Of Scotland,

To be really sure and to be able to give good solid advice, the reply you had for your CCA needs to be scanned and posted on here for others to look at.

But, a topic I am very familiar with and well versed in is Statute Barred Debts, 'SO' if you are very very sure that this alleged debt is as old as you say it is, and there has been 'NO' payment or acknowledgement within the "first" 6 years (5 in Scotland) of the account being in default (you not paying or acknowledging 'in writing' that you owe the debt) Then the debt is most definitely Staute Barred, and after sending them the letter stating this they should not continue any legal collection activity!

Boo;)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, referring to my previous post ref SB debts, has there been a time at all where you didn't pay anything toward this debt?

IE; has there been a six year period where you didn't pay anything nor acknowledge the debt?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Ok not to worry, that counts SB out of the question, the way ahead now is for someone else who knows CCA's and whether yours are enforceable or not.

At least you have tried to keep to your payments. That letter they sent telling you that they were now going to seek court action, in my view is them trying to bully you and exploit your lack of knowledge in an attempt to get more money from you.

Have you ever come to an agreement with them of how much to pay, or have you just paid them what they have told you to?

My apologies if I am already covering ground you have already crossed, but have you, personally, sat down and done an Income & Expenditure (I&E) list, to see exactly what disposable income you do have?

Once you do this, you should then divide that up between your creditors, if it only works out a £5 a month payment to some of them, then that's what you pay them.

If they are not happy, tell them to take you to court, that way then you will be able to show the judge your I&E list and what you can comfortably afford to pay them each month, and they will just have to live with it!

The simple fact that you have been making attempts at paying off this debt massively goes in your favour, it sounds like they have been piling on interest and charges, you could ask them for a 'statement of account', which will be cheaper than a SAR which will cost you a tenner. And that will then show you exactly what they have been adding to your account, and if they have been adding charges, you can claim those back, if they are still adding interest, then you can tell them to stop all interest on the account.

Try not to worry, all is not lost, it may take a little while, but it's you back in the driving seat not them!

Boo;)

Someone will view them soon enough, photogii is usually quite good with CCA's, but just hold fire for a while...someone will pick up on it soon enough, basically every time you get a reply to your thread it goes straight to the top of all the posts in the relevant section, if you want a quick answer you could always try posting a link to this thread, in the relevant banking section...

For example:Halifax Bank and Bank of Scotland - The Consumer Forums

No-one has answered any letters we've sent, we just receive threats with doorstep visits from DCA's and court action! I can't cope any longer if things are'nt sorted soon I'm afraid I will leave.

In response to their empty threats of a doorstep visit, send the clowns this:Letter used when DCA threatens doorstep visit.

Give them the template letter linked below through the letterbox or chained door.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resour...ep-visit-.html

Tell them to leave as you have nothing to discuss and all communication must be in writing.

Tell them you will call the police if they don't leave immediately.

Remain calm and polite at all times.

Walk away from the door so the visitor cannot try and talk to you.

If they don't leave, call the police to report that you are being harassed and the visitor refuses to leave.

And don't worry about them, these threats are computer generated, if there isn't any human input to their computer then it automatically prints of the next threatogramme on the specified time, just shallow empty threats designed to intimidate you and exploit the debtors lack of knowledge and hoping you will buckle and just pay up whatever they tell you too!

Postgii may be the best person to ask about CCA's?

With reference to Shadow's post MM here are a few links that you may like to read, and may help you in your complaint:

Banking Code Standards Board

Banking Code Standards Board

HELPDESK ENQUIRIES

If you have a problem with your financial service provider and would like information on how to complain or need assistance in understanding your rights under the Banking Codes, please contact our Helpdesk.

Call 0845 230 9694, or email [email protected]

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

No worries, were not the ones harassing you, take all the time you need, believe me they can wait, and they will do!!

If your not up to it on Friday then leave it until you are able, but in your own time come back to us and we can assist and help you out! Good luck;)

Edited by Bazooka Boo
Drunken typo!!

Just taken a quick look, the first page from Sharklaycard reads OK, but I cannot read the other two pages of it as it is very blurred?

The letter from Calders:mad:

Yes....let me choose my words carefully here.

All the time they are applying interest to this alleged debt, you won't pay it off, no matter how small a % they might think it is.

My other point is that sharklaycard's in house DCA is Mercers, and another trading name of Mercers, is Calders!

So I would assume that you debt is still with sharklaycard, which is why they believe they can still add on interest.

I personally would tell them in no uncertain terms that if they are still going to apply interest, you will withhold all payments and report them to the FOS OFT, and trading standards.

It certainly isn't the best of copies, granted it can be read in places, but it is supposed to be perfectly legible otherwise it is deemed unenforceable, my advice would be to send them the following, edit to suit, and print your name don't sign it, again everything via recorded delivery.

Further to your recent letter, I must again advise you of the following. Further to my request for a copy of the signed CCA you supplied me with a document that was not legible and therefore does not comply with the following regulations:-

Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents)

Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1557)

2 Legibility of notices and copy documents and wording of prescribed Forms

(1) The lettering in every notice in a Form prescribed by these Regulations and in every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other document referred to in the Act and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall, apart from any signature, be easily legible and of a colour which is readily distinguishable from the .

(2) The wording of any Form prescribed by these Regulations shall be reproduced in copies of unexecuted or executed

agreements or in Notices of Cancellation Rights sent [by an appropriate method] under section 64(1)(b) or (2) of the Act

without any alteration or addition, except that--

(a) the creditor or owner may enter the name and address of the debtor or hirer in any Cancellation Form prescribed

by these Regulations; and

(b) every Form shall be completed in accordance with any footnote.

I am also of the opinion that the copy of the agreement, whilst illegible, also does not comply with the conditions set out by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.61.(1) which states that an agreement must contain certain prescribed terms, the Consumer Credit Act ( Agreements) Regulations 1983 s.6 sets out how these terms should be contained with in one single document and if not, is not enforceable by the court Consumer credit Act 1974 s.127(3) , recent case law Wilson V Hurstanger Neutral Citation Number: [2007] EWCA Civ 299.

Until I receive a clear, legible copy of the alleged CCA, this account remains in dispute and no further action can be taken.

Ignore their empty threat of 5 days to 'cough up or else'!

It is designed to have the exact effect it is having on you, too worry you silly, bully and intimidate you.

And if they ever did have enough money in the kitty to take you to court, then a judge would be very sympathetic toward you, this is not a priority by any means.

Once you send them that letter, they will send one back saying that they believe the letter reply they sent to you does comply and they will not stop collection activity and will probably sell it on, so you should have this one ready:D

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

Your Reference:

Client reference:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I must admit that I am rather bemused as to why this account has been passed to you, as it is in dispute with ***DCA*** and has been since ***Date***

Not only is this a breach of OFT collection guidelines, but also in breach of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and Data Protection Act 1998

As ***DCA*** is now in default of my Consumer Credit Act request, Office of Fair Trading Collection Guidelines and s10 Data Protection Act request, I consider this account to be in SERIOUS DISPUTE.

As you are aware while my Consumer Credit Act request remains in default, enforcement action is NOT permitted; under s127 this constitutes a complete defence at law. Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS.

Now I would respectfully suggest that this account is returned to ***DCA*** for resolution of these defaults and breaches, as ***DCA*** cannot lawfully pursue any enforcement activities.

If ***DCA***chooses to ignore my dispute and attempt enforcement, I will initiate legal action and file reports with the appropriate authorities, including, but not limited to, Trading Standards, Office of Fair Trading, Information Commissioners Office, Financial Ombudsman Service and possible court action.

I hope that this will not be necessary and an acceptable solution can be accomplished.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

As I say, this is not a priority at all, by any stretch of the imagination!

It is simply greedy people getting well above their station thinking they somehow have the power to run around sending threatening letters to anyone that might owe a little of our banks frivolous money, and bully them into submission to pay money back they either don't have or simply can't.

I have to go out else I would edit a letter to suit your needs a little better, but I was thinking of editing the 'hardship' leter in light of your OH medical circumstances, in the hope that the vultures would go find an easier prey for a while and give you some breathing space, if when I get back no-one else has come up with something I'll try and do it for you, or at the very least I can give you the bones of it and you can have your input..

Until then, try not to worry about them,

Boo;)

OK, there is no need to panic, all that has happened is that they have failed to update the computer to say that the account is in dispute.

They are all computer generated, and they need some human input to tell it to stop sending the threatogrammes out.

As you have sent the CCA request, and then the account in dispute letter, both via RD, and kept a copy of the letters sent, then there is no question they would ever take you to court.

The judge will simply 'p' himself laughing, the fact that they have asked for the outstaning balance to be paid in full within 14 days is not only laughable but is also in breach of the OFT debt collection guidelines.

The letter is the 'standard' template 'all' DCA's use in order to try and get alleged debtors to cough up, they think that if they can bamboozle people who are unaware of their rights with big words then they will get their money! So don't!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

I'll have a look for the 'bemused' template to send the clowns, and the only other thing you want from them is their full complaints procedure, but as they are already in breach of the OFT debt collection Guidelines, which you can read at your leisure clicking on the link, then you should make a formal complaint to the OFT immediately:The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

Also complain to Consumer Direct who will pass it straight onto Trading Standards.

P.S Don't ring them, they will only bully and intimidate you, unless you are recording your calls? Your only response to their laughable letter, should be a reply telling them that you want a copy of their complaints procedure by return of post and in any case within 5 working days.

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

BOS

Acct Number

I am extremely irritated by your persistance to pursue this disputed account.

On **enter date** I wrote to **whoever** informing them that they were in breach of consumer credit (cancellation notices and copies of documents) regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1557)

I am also of the opinion that the copy of the agreement I received, whilst illegible, does not comply with the conditions set out by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.127(3), recent case law Wilson V Hurstanger Neutral Citation Number [2007] EWCA Civ 299.

As you are now in clear multiple breach of CPUTR2008 in line with the OFT's guidance on debt collection, aswell as the OFT's own guidance on debt collection activity.

I now require you official complaints procedure, I will allow 14 days from receipt of this letter.

A formal complaint has been made with the OFT in regard to your suitability to hold a licence. I am seeking advice as to what legal action I can take against **whoever**.

Your continued pursuit either in writing or by personal contact in relation to this account will be in violation of the Harassment laws as well as CPUTR2008.

Your due dilligence in this serious matter is expected and appreciated, I trust that I have made myself extremely clear, and I look forward to receiving a copy of your complaints procedure by return of post.

Print your Name

Please edit this to suit, if you feel it is too strong then by all means water it down, if anyone else can pick holes in it, please do, we all need to learn, so anyones advice will be constructive criticism and is appreciated, unless your a troll!:D

Boo;)

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Thats fine, take your time. They will write all sorts of garbage to intimidate people into paying either what they don't owe, or what they can't afford.

Their use of the English language contains a lot of big words, like litigation, to simply put the frighteners on people reading it and make them think they have no other option but to pay it!

When 9 times out of 10 not only do they not know the meaning of litigation, but a court is the very last place they ever want to go because they know they will not be allowed to get the amount they are asking you for now, if a judge tells them all you can afford to pay them is £1 a month then that is all they will get, full stop.

Your doing all the right things, you have told them that the account is in dispute and the reason why, if they then choose to continue with collection activity, then that is their look out.

You've kept copies of what you have sent them, and the receipts for the recorded delivery, have you been printing off the confirmation and the signature for the letters of the RM website?

As long as your documentation sent from you to them, and them to your is filed and kept, then you have a paper trail of evidence if it is ever needed.

Keep a copy of the Door Step Collection letter, printed off and kept by your front door, so if anyone does turn up re. the alleged debt you can hand it to them and close the door, or push it through the letter box to them.

Give them the template letter linked below through the letterbox or chained door.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resour...ep-visit-.html

Tell them to leave as you have nothing to discuss and all communication must be in writing.

Tell them you will call the police if they don't leave immediately.

Remain calm and polite at all times.

Walk away from the door so the visitor cannot try and talk to you.

If they don't leave, call the police to report that you are being harassed and the visitor refuses to leave.

That link doesn't work..

The Office of Fair Trading: Debt collection practices

2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

f. pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments,

or to increase payments when they are unable to do so

If I had a bit more time I would look through the CPUTR2008 to find the relevant section also, I think of the top of my hideous head it might be sect5???

The Office of Fair Trading: Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

IMHO, it looks like an application form:confused:, there are no interest rates less for the one in Part 2 Account Details, it refers to an overdraft also, which doesn't come under the CCA.

Did you request a CCA or a SAR?

On page 1of3 at the bottom right corner it states Pref Aug 01, then on the other two pages it refers to PrefTC Feb 01:confused:

However some one else with more knowledge on these may be able to give you better advice, I'm confused and need to go back and re-read through the thread to get back on track:rolleyes:

Was it a CCA request you sent them?

The more I read it the more it confuses me, it looks like they have cobbled together two sepearte agreements a CC agreement and an overdraft agreement.

The scan with the 'preference account' refers to an overdraft, these do not come under the remit of a CCA.

The next two scans refer to a CC which is why the dates previously mentioned at the bottom right of the pages differ.

And as the date stamp differs greatly from when your OH applied for the account, IMHO I would send them the failure to provide letter: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/571-failiure-to-provide-a-copy-of-the-agreement-within-the-prescribed-timescale

Then wait and see what they come back with.

To my somewhat uneducated eye, I would certainly say that this is not an enforceable agreement under the CCA, but I am hoping that someone else will be able to back that up..;)

Ok so the Pref1 acct is all paid for and we don't need to worry about that..yeah?

So the Pref2 acct is the CC and that is the one you need clarification on...yeah?

Well again looking at the pref2 scans, they have two separate dates on the bottom right hand corner, the first two state Feb01 and the last one page 1 of 3 states Aug 01, plus the date stamp is Jul 03, is this when the CC account was opened? Or were they both opened on the same date?

Have you asked Shadow to have a look?

Personally I don't think they are enforceable, due to the anomaly of the date stamp and the actual date the CC was taken out, if both accounts were opened at the same time?

OK will ask Shadow to take another look, but the way I see it, is that the pref2 account was taken out on the 23rd Jul 02, and a Credit Card was issued for this account??

Your OH sent them a CCA request and this is what they have replied with for this account??

I will try and get someone to give a second opinion but I don't think this is any where near enforceable..

Thanks Shadow for taking another look, MM send them the account in dispute letter as they have failed to supply the correct details for the account.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/571-failiure-to-provide-a-copy-of-the-agreement-within-the-prescribed-timescale

Again send it recorded, and wait and see what they come back with, if anything!

it was only on 2nd looking that it clicked that nothing on that form suggests a credit card agreement.

Well done boo!

S.

Thank you Shadow for double checking for me ;)

Can you scan and post it on here so people can have a look?

Remove all Identifying names, addresses, bar codes etc, IMHO if they intend to go to court with the documents they have provided you, it will be laughed out!

If he wants to make any payment, then I would only suggest making the minimum payment of £1 a month, don't ring them to ask them if they will accept it as they won't, they are far too greedy and will want at least a couple of zero's added to it.

Scan and post what you received, it might just be another threatogramme, either way as I have said if they do go to court, there is nothing to be afraid of, it should be welcomed, as if their paperwork is in the order they have sent to you it will be laughed out!

Boo;-)

Can't get the link to work:confused::confused:

Have they received the account in dispute letter??

If they have and they are still trying to enforce legal action, then IMHO this would be a complete defence in court, they have failed to produce any of the relevant documents legally requested, therefore leaving you with no alternative but to place the account in dispute.

They should not be enforcing any legal action whilst the account is in dispute.

I would make an immediate complaint to the Financial Ombudsman

And a further complaint to the OFT: The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

As for all the anomalies on the form they sent, just make a note of them and get all of your files/letters in order, court is nothing to be scared of, you'll turn up their (possibly) with all your documents in order and they will be typing theirs out still, the judge will have a field day and throw it out!

Have you spoken with your local CAB at all?Citizens Advice - the charity for your community

If they are incompetent enough to take this to court, then you should welcome it. The evidence you have posted on here so far suggests you will walk out of their giving them the two fingured salute.