My purchased plate is non-transferable!??

mohammed87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My car was bought in 2005 and I purchased my 1st private plate which went on the car in 2005. A few weeks ago I purchased my second private plate (a 51 registration number) off the DVLA website. I went to the DVLA office and asked for 1st private plate (which was on the car) to go on retention and the 2nd private plate (the 51 reg I just pruchased last week) to go on the car.

Ive now recieved a letter from the DVLA saying my application to put the original private plate on retention has been acceppted. They say the 51 plate (that I purchased few weeks ago) will now go on my car but that it is NON TRANSFERABLE. Why is the hell is it non-transferable? Ive paid over £1000 for it and it didnt say anywhere on the DVLA website that taking one privte plate off a car and putting a second one on makes the second one non-transferable (basically they are saying I cant transfer the second private plate to another car in the future).

Im sure this is wrong but I dont know what to do, the DVLA office is currently closed for bank holiday. Any advice?

What bank holiday - today is not a bank holiday?

It a Public Holiday in Scotland :rolleyes:

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Indded it is. It's a Public Holiday (and the Banks are only open for a few hours).

As to the point meing made, I've only been aware of two situations where a plate has been made non-transferable. The first was an error by the DVLA, In its original lifetime the plate was used on a motorbike which had a 'no transfer' flag on it (ok to another M/b but not another car). The old number was re-harvested by DVLA for sale from their 'own' stock - but they forgot to clear the old restriction on what was effectively a reissued' plate. A high level complaint got this fixed.

The second was when a plate had reached 10 transfers, and DVLAs computer flagged this as suspicious, sating further transfer would not be possib le. Again, this could be something that takes human intervention to rectify.

The second was when a plate had reached 10 transfers, and DVLAs computer flagged this as suspicious, sating further transfer would not be possib le. Again, this could be something that takes human intervention to rectify.

Interesting because my VRM has had way more than 10 without any problems.

Interesting because my VRM has had way more than 10 without any problems.

perhaps, as buzby is suggesting, it is picking up a flag, but on review by humans (ed. are there such things still employed at the DVLA?) they are deciding it looks in order.

I cannot help with your problem, but I am a car dealer, and I find that probably about 5% of the vehicles I buy, there is printed on the V5 that the VRM is non transferable. In all cases the vehicle has previously had a private number, and the year related number the car has been allocated after the private plate has been removed cannot be transferred. Why, I don't know.

I'd forgotten about that wrinkle. The DVLA were so paranoid about creating a 'goldmine' for motorists this was brought in early on in the Cherished Numbers scheme of things.

Normally, if a car has a standard-issued VRM, then has a personal plate transferred in, then out in most cases the original number was returned to it. For cars that never had a standard issued VRM (its first V5 being the cherished number) when THAT plate was moved on again, DVLA had to provide (for free) a plate to match the original year of first registration. Now, this might have some value to the RK or dealer (I always liked SOD 1T) to prevent any value being attached, it had a bar on further transfers.

They're just bad sports. They can do it, and they don't want anyone else benefitting in the same way.

Normally, if a car has a standard-issued VRM, then has a personal plate transferred in, then out in most cases the original number was returned to it.

I had that situation a few years ago when I bought a S/H vehicle which was fitted with a cherished plate.

I had to wait a few days for the plates to be sorted out. The car was given, what I believe, its original plate back.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....