• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Northern Rock PPI Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for this, says insurance only covers a 5 year term - how do we know this is true? is it standard or do I need to check my policy (that incidentally I was only provided with in January when i rang to say I was redundant and needed to make a claim - that's when I found out it only paid out for 12 months so decided to claim back instead).

My internet is down and I am using dad's - as soon as mine is back up I will get on with it!

Thanks again

Jan

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you will need to change paragraph 6 to read 5 unless the 5 is missing ;-)

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

double check your policy jan but id say it is a 5 yr one going by the cost of it and the fact ive never heard of a 10 yr ppi yet

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

one thing is 4 sure it proves it was missold because it is now aparant to me they did not tell u this and they should of done

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Thanks. My internet still down - apparently 3 mobile technical problems in N ireland, Scotland and north of england so some of us having real problems!

They didn't tell me anything at all about the policy and I didn't even get sent a copy until this Jan when I told them I was redundant so needed to make a claim!

Will check it when I get home (am on dad's again!).

Jan

Hello PF

back online and sorted now!

It does actually look like that the insurance covers me for the whole 120 months - not just 5 years. Just read through the T&C's. Am a bit suspicious though as I was never supplied with these when i got the loan, only got them this January so wonder if they've been amended since.

Anyway, I'll just delete that para in the letter and send it off tomorrow.

I'll start a new thread when I get a reply so that "Northern Rock" appears in all the headings - AA has asked me to do this and its the only way I know to do it.

Thanks for all your help so far

Jan

no need to start a new thread just hit the red triangle this will flag up the siteteam just post a message there with a link to this thread a state what u wish it to be called

or send alan a PM and he will sort it

there u go thanks 42man

• 3 weeks later...

Had a letter from Northern Rock over the last few days (been away) dated 18 August.

They've sent a quesionnaire they want me to complete which asks questions about the PPI - most of the answers I don't know as they never told me anything about the policy I had. Might just fill in my name and refer them to letter. They say "the information will help them during the investigation of my complaint". They ask if I asked the advisor for details of the policy - sounds like they're trying to put blame on me for missell.

They also say they only received the top copy of my letter and are asking for the second page - so assume they haven't had the spreadsheet either. I'll send it all again telling them I hope their postroom passed all the contents of the envelope to them this time. They say they will process my application in the meantime.

Also, my next payment is due on 1st Sept. Think I should tell them I will be unable to pay this as I won't know the amount to pay without the PPI, until they reply to me in full? Or just ask what the amount will be? or tell them I won't pay anything - they can take it out of what they owe me?

Thanks

Jan

Re: Above post

The more I look at the form the more I don't like it. Don't think I will complete it - doesn't give them an excuse to drag their feet does it? Has anyone else filled forms in?

Next payment - think I should tell them I can't pay until they give me the amount. anyone see a problem with that?

Thanks

Jan

Hiya Jan,

Firstly sorry for the delay you have had, rights lets get you some answers.

They ask if I asked the advisor for details of the policy - sounds like they're trying to put blame on me for missell.

How can you ask for the details of the policy if you do not know what details to ask or what is in the small print it is for them to ensure you know these and are fully aware of what you are buying.

They also say they only received the top copy of my letter and are asking for the second page

Well that just goes to show how lax there administration is as I cant for one moment think you would of forgot to enclose everything the truth is it probably got lost under there mountain of paperwork due to not having good practice and good procedures in place.

Also, my next payment is due on 1st Sept. Think I should tell them I will be unable to pay this as I won't know the amount to pay without the PPI, until they reply to me in full? Or just ask what the amount will be? or tell them I won't pay anything - they can take it out of what they owe me?

Thats what I did but remember if you do this to send the disputed account letter template in the templates library.

Regards

PF

you are welcome PF

• 2 weeks later...

Right.

I replied to them last week, also adding that until they advised what my payment minus the PPI would be I would be unable to pay payment due 1 September.

Didn't hear from them so couldn't pay it. Received a letter on saturday telling me my 1st September payment was overdue (same amount as with PPI).

Rang today, spoke to guy in "payment problems" - explained I couldn't pay this until they had calculated what the amount was minus the PPI. He spoke to person dealing with it and said I was to pay the amount with PPI as missold claim was ongoing. I told him that irrespective of missell claim, PPI is cancelled and they still should have cancelled PPI a month ago and I shouldn't have to pay it this month. He again spoke to his colleague and then came back to me and said they couldn't treat it as 2 issues (PPI Cancellation and PPI Missell) so I'm to pay it this month and they'll pay it back to me.

I told him this was cancelled on 2 August and I'm not paying it until they give me a figure minus PPI. He said it could affect my credit rating. I said if it did I would report them to FSA.

So, am I right? I think I should probably reiterate in writing in case I get problems later on with credit rating.

Guy was quite nice, he was pretty clueless really. Left it that I'd put in writing, but I already have once really. If i did it again though I could mention the credit rating threat.

Oh, and he did mention that they would shortly be in touch with a settlement figure................

Hiya Jan,

Firstly I fall to see how they can put a negative marker on your credit ratings as the account is clearly in dispute.

A letter to the FSA explaining there actions is required here.

Yes another letter to northern rock spelling out the situation to them and that a complaint to the fsa has been made because of there actions re: threat of negative marker on credit files

Regards

PF

Hi Orange

Nothing yet, but I think they have almost a month left before they have to reply to my reclaim letter. I'll keep you informed though.

Have you done a SAR first? Mine proved really useful as they'd input stuff on their system that worked to my advantage. Also, when you come to do your spreadsheet it helps as you get a list of payment dates, amounts etc off them. I sent them the £10 fee but they didn't cash it. They sent SAR info in about 2 weeks - they did have my signed agreement although I wasn't particularly bothered about that as I'm happy with just doing PPI reclaim.

When I spoke to them 3 days ago about payment, they said they'd be sending an offer soon - so it looks like they're going to try to settle rather than paying the full amount but I'll have to wait and see!

You can probably lift a lot of info from my thread as I was new to it so had a lot of help from others.

When you come to do your spreadsheet (do you know excel?) I could email you mine so you can just amend that accordingly. I know mine is right cos PF did most of it and also checked what I did! You'll have to pm me your e-mail address if you want to do that.

Jan

Details on loan agreement are:

Loan amount £12,000

Payment Protection £5821.20

Amount of credit £17821.20

Total charge for credit £6,192

Total amount payable £24,013.20

APR 6.4%

Payble by 120 monthly instalments of £200.11

Also, does this mean it was front loaded and I paid interest on it?

You should forget the PPI agreement and claim all payments made back with interest on the grounds that the credit agreement is unenforceable under section 18 of the CCA 1974.

Section 18 of the Consumer Credit Act of 1974

‘18.--(1) This section applies to an agreement (a “multiple agreement”) if its terms are such as--

(a) to place a part of it within one category of agreement mentioned in this Act, and another part of it within a different category of agreement so mentioned, or within a category of agreement not so mentioned, or

(b) to place it, or a part of it, within two or more categories of agreement so mentioned.

(2) Where a part of an agreement falls within subsection (1), that part shall be treated for the purposes of this Act as a separate agreement.

(3) Where an agreement falls within subsection (1)(b), it shall be treated as an agreement in each of the categories in question, and this Act shall apply to it accordingly.’

The loan contains both a fixed sum loan agreement (£12 000.00 the amount you borrowed) and a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement (£5821.20 PPI)

The Credit Agreement completely ignores s18 and is therefore unenforceable as it does not have separate repayment terms for the two agreements and repayment terms are prescribed terms in Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983.

Hi Hellsbells1805

Thanks for this. My thinking at the moment is that I'll claim the PPI back as that will be faster than doing CCA plus the amount I'm claiming back comes to about the same as I've paid them so far because of all the interest and the 8% I'm claiming back. So thought I'd do PPI reclaim, then have a think about CCA after I've seen how much of loan is left to pay and what their attitude is towards reclaim.

So far Northern Rock have been OK but if they really mess me about (like other bank's have done with people) then I might be tempted to jump straight to CCA.

Thanks for the info though - didn't know it wasn't enforceable before, would have had to ask everyone. If I go that route I'll probably have loads of questions!

Thanks again

Jan