Default notice abroad????????

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved to New Zealand three years ago, and in doing so I left a debt that I couldn’t pay in the UK. I have just about picked up the pieces of my life, but unfortunately I have recently found out that I have a default of payment record on my New Zealand credit history.

Apparently it was put there from a collections agency who did contact me a few times here in New Zealand, but at the time I just pretty much ignored them.

The problem is that my record shows me as owing an amount of money in NZ dollars, which misleads anyone who looks at it into thinking that I have incurred the debt whilst living in NZ. My question is how can a UK debt show up on a NZ credit file, and how the heck can a NZ collection agency give out the sort of information that infers that I have had a debt incurred in NZ when the debt was years ago in the UK???

This is very misleading and surely a breach of the credit reporting code!?

I have spoken to the credit reporting agency, and they just said that it is up to me to get the collection agency to withdraw the default notice etc… I did tell them that they were breaking the law by using information that misleads etc, but they just told me tough, nothing we can do about it!!!

I said how can they list a debt which they cant prove I have, or which is outside the law of the land… they just told me they can!!!

I would welcome sound advice please.

My question is how can a UK debt show up on a NZ credit file, and how the heck can a NZ collection agency give out the sort of information that infers that I have had a debt incurred in NZ when the debt was years ago in the UK???.

It can't - to do this they would have to break numerous laws not only in UK but in NZ too.

Justice and Home Affairs - Data Protection - Legislative documents

If you get in touch with the Commissioners office, you can start the ball rolling by complaining about your personal data being passed and/or sold to agencies operating outside the EU. The Creditor involved will be investigated and it will certainly land in the lap of a UK DCA - who will hopefully get severely stung. :)

Looking through those Docs, it seems you may be the victim of 'organised crime' - which just about sums it up very nicely!!!

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Wow thank you for that..... So would the NZ commissioners office be the place to start? or the UK one?

As for the rest of it, i will try reading through what you have linked, but may need a day or so (and a box of aspirins)

:)

Wow thank you for that..... So would the NZ commissioners office be the place to start? or the UK one?

As for the rest of it, i will try reading through what you have linked, but may need a day or so (and a box of aspirins)

:)

You're a bit spoilt for choice really, why not try both???

The UK stuff is https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

I'm not sure about NZ but it shouldn't be too difficult to find out.

I know some people have come to the conclusion that the ICO is a bit useless, but this is one of the things they are supposed to monitor and I get the feeling yours is probably a clear case of a data protection breach.

Give it a go, and good luck.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)