Deposit automatic subtration

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

Basically me and 2 flat mates are coming to the end of our tenancy and we just got a letter describing whats going to happen at the end with our keys etc.

one thing that was mentioned is they will do an inspection of the property a few days after we move out but will automatically take £35 from each of out of our deposit to do this inspection.

to me this is highly unfair if they wish to inspect the property i believe that is up to them i don't see why we have to pay for it

the condition of the property is very well maintained and we even plan to get it properly cleaned when we leave to leave it spotless

is this automatic subtraction of money for their inspection allowed?

any advise would be appreciated

Try insisting that a check out inspection is done with at least 2 of you present - really, how on earth can they do a check out without one of you being present to sign things?! The whole point of a checkout inspection is to go through the original inventory (if they haven't got one they will come very unstuck) with you. Hopefully you have your own copy of this, together with any photo's taken at the start of your tenancy. If not ask them to provide a copy. (In writing)

Morally I think it is very greedy to charge this fee, certainly, one from each resident - however, legally I am not sure as I don't take deposit or rent in advance - someone will explain to you shortly I expect. What does your tenancy agreement say regarding this? Also are they legally allowed to withold monies from a deposit when they are unrelated to damages/rent arrears?

Aside from that, my feeling is this fee should be part of the management fee that the owner is paying this agent to manage the property. Morally, anyway, legally, not sure.

If they won't agree to meeting with you, then you need to cover your backsides here. This is what you need to do.

Take photographs NOW (make sure you can print them with date and time on) when the property is occupied so you can show the standard of the tenancy. Actually, if you had a camcorder, that would do as well, but take both.

Go ahead with your moving out as planned, have the cleaners in etc, keep a copy of the receipt for this. When you have all your furniture out, take a look at the general decor., ie marks from furniture against walls, holes in walls where pictures have been removed etc and touch up the decs. Before you finally hand the keys over take more photo's/film. This is your evidence as to how you left it.

If you leave it like a new pin I can't see any reason for them to withold any of your deposit whatsoever.

Just make sure you have a file full of evidence in case this goes to Court.

Good luck.

Check your contract, a lot of tenancy agreements will have this in the contract mentioning that the tenant is liable for the check in/check out fees. If its not in your agreement tell your LL and on that basis either refuse to pay or work something out like paying 50/50 with the ll.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.