style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4890 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Scare2010, have you resolved your own problem now? You've been quiet on your new thread for a few days now.

HB

Hi, I'm still in the early stages, so I got my initial letter asking me to give my side of the story, I have done that, just sent it off, now I just have to sit and wait.

:-s

I will keep you posted

Also thanks wriggler for your comments, you didn't anger me don't worry, just annoyed with the system at the moment. Thoroughly understand I am in the wrong, and I am not excusing my actions, but some times it's the good people in the world that get s**t on, and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do in order to get by. And now with student fees rising, for me to carry on my course is probably going yo cost me another £50,000 ontop of the £15 I have already paid ( luckily I started my course before the first top up fees were put in place) but st the end of it all there are no jobs as the government has slashed budgets everywhere and no one can afford to build.

Sorry I realise all you guys are against people like me, but I just wanted to say it's not so black and white

Why do so many people come on this forum with the same old excuses, I forgot my travel card, I accidently used my nans freedom pass, I dont speak English very well, how can I appeal against this unjust nasty fine, the ticket collector just wanted to rip me off, the fares are too dear I cant afford the fare as I am a student, low paid worker, need to spend money on beer etc

I dont work on the railway or tube system I am just an ordinary commuter

who pays £44 a week on a 1-5 zone travel card, yes its expensive but its my choice to work so far from home.

If I was stupid enough to lose my card which is difficult bearing in mind I travel on a bus, two tube lines, overground then another bus, I woudnt expect some hard pressed ticket collector who has heard the same story 100 times that day already to have any sympathy for me and why should he?, I would expect to be treated as a potential fare dodger and get a fine

How many people here whould expect to take a chicken from Tesco without paying and expect the store to let you off as you forgot your purse, fare evasion for what ever reason is the same, it's stealing, FGS most of us use the travel network everyday we know we need to pay for it

So sorry I have no sympathy for yet another whiner caught in the act and trying to wriggle out of it

The foregoing by Madamfluff is, I believe, an expression of the opinion of the vast majority of the travelling public. It is why RPIs, ticket inspectors, Senior Conductors etc get the support of the 95% of the travelling public who pay their fares and expect everyone else to do so too.

It doesn't excuse the faults that are clearly apparent in many areas of our public transport system,

It doesn't excuse the high fares that are chargeable too often,

However, it does recognise the simple truth that you can only expect take the service if you have paid for it. Thank you for a dose of commonsense.

I believe that I have always acted in what I hope is a fair manner and where I have been vested with the authority to make any decision, whether or not any prosecution proceeds has and will always be based on merit.

Edited by Old-CodJA
corrected grammar

Sorry I realise all you guys are against people like me, but I just wanted to say it's not so black and white

I think that most of us are long enough in the tooth to not be 'against people like you', but against the 'offences' committed.

One conviction for fare dodging does not mean that 'you' are a 'bad person', just that you did something that was wrong. It is the action that is judged, albeit it is the person that is punished.

I have yet to meet a 'defendant' that was totally evil, nor a prosecutor, witness or friend that is totally 'good'. I expect that if we looked hard enough, we could convict Mother Theresa of something, and find that Hitler could be quite charming if you ignore some of his naughtiness.

I had a client (very briefly, just a quick few words and into Court) who told me that the Magistrates wouldn't like him because of his colour. I assured him that was not the case, he was surprised to find three Magistrates from three different ethic groups, who only made remarks about his actions. They did not presume, nor would I, to make general judgements about what 'sort of person' a defendant is.

Good point, when I was being interviewed for the Bench and in a pretty conservative district, one of the first questions was "are you prejudiced?" now could see right through this so said "yes", concerned faces from the panel, "usually at the state of my daughter's bedroom!" smiles all round. But the point about appearance/origins etc is good, the bench looks at the actions and the responses