SCS youre having a laugh!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5487 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We bought a brand new leather suite for £2476 in December last year from SCS (with a £1000 deposit and the remainder on finance). In January we noticed the suite seemed to be turning a darker shade of brown on the headrest and arms. We went to SCS with pictures to ask them what could be done and they sent an upholsterer to establish if it was a manufacturers fault or not. His opinion was that it wasnt and that we should simply have the suite cleaned professionally, we mentioned that the suite had only been in our house for 3 weeks and a professional cleaner would cost a small fortune if we had to have it cleaned so often. A further visit to the store and a conversation with the manager who advised us to write a letter to SCS head office expressing our concern over the suite and its condition. They responded by referring to their upholsterers report saying there was little they could do. We are now at the end of our tether, lumbered with a suite that is difficult to clean and looks dirty again if you so much as look at it never mind sit on it. Is there anything you good people can suggest we can do in terms of a next step? I am considering writing to the finance company and complaining to them but not sure what to say!

And the lord said "come forth and i shall grant you eternal life" I came fifth and got a toaster!!!:D

We bought a brand new leather suite for £2476 in December last year from SCS (with a £1000 deposit and the remainder on finance). In January we noticed the suite seemed to be turning a darker shade of brown on the headrest and arms. We went to SCS with pictures to ask them what could be done and they sent an upholsterer to establish if it was a manufacturers fault or not. His opinion was that it wasnt and that we should simply have the suite cleaned professionally, we mentioned that the suite had only been in our house for 3 weeks and a professional cleaner would cost a small fortune if we had to have it cleaned so often. A further visit to the store and a conversation with the manager who advised us to write a letter to SCS head office expressing our concern over the suite and its condition. They responded by referring to their upholsterers report saying there was little they could do. We are now at the end of our tether, lumbered with a suite that is difficult to clean and looks dirty again if you so much as look at it never mind sit on it. Is there anything you good people can suggest we can do in terms of a next step? I am considering writing to the finance company and complaining to them but not sure what to say!

My daughter bought a Corner Unit in December. You can see the progress here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/high-street-stores/193176-scs-wrongly-handed-damaged.html#post2088494

I'm just about to update it.

As their Upholsterer appears to be taking their side, I would be tempted to get an independant report. I know it will cost but if it proves to be in your favour you will be able to claim it back along with everything else you have paid. You could invite the finance company to arrange an inspection when reminding them that they are equally liable with the supplier.

Edited by dw190

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

it take its material rather than leather ?

most material funiture are protected with products such as "Scotch Guard" from new to prevent such problems from soiling, and its not uncommom with imported furniture that this has not been done, check if it was advertised or on labels ( often on the bottom of the of the units ) which will state its been done , It must always state on the labels what fire protection has been used , Legal requirement for furniture sold in the UK , eg, complies with (British Standard 7176) should be the right one , but double check

As a lot of furniture sold in the UK by the major stores is made in China these days, the quality control is lacking, last year Watchdog did an exposure of furniture which had a banned substance being used in imported furniture, and the suffering it caused, it should also show on the Label the Country of origin, another angle is that you can question SCS just what checks they carry out to confirm the goods are as described EG, Scotch Guarded / Fire retardant treatment, to comply with "British Standards"

it is common for material to show darkening on the headrests and arms after a much longer period of time , simple cause is transfer of grease etc from Hair and hands, but not after such a short period, but it can happen

If it was a real Upholsterer ( there actually very few real ones in the UK modern furniture does not need them when made, ) would have done the simple check of labels etc and mentioned the transfer of grease etc, and would have mentioned the possible lack of "Scotch Guard" I spent the first 7 years of my working life as 1 , moved on to Electronics after a accident which stopped me working in the trade.

IF it clearly states its been Scotch Guarded etc ( or similar treament to protect against soiling ) then that should strengthen your claim,

link re fire and cig burns etc

Spotlight - Specifying furniture upholstery

attached PDF re F/R of furniture

fire retardant.pdf

• Haha 1

Hi Kiptower, its a leather suite in aniline and would only of received a little coating apparently. Do you happen to know of any proper independant upholsterers in the north west of england who i could use for an report? Also if anyone has any letter suggestions it would be most appreciated

And the lord said "come forth and i shall grant you eternal life" I came fifth and got a toaster!!!:D