Lost and won in court today!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This may help somthing we are working on any input welcome

Assigning A Debt Or Benefit Of Contract?

It is important to first provide the debtor with a notice of the assignment!

Other points and issues that should be borne in mind:

· In principle, the benefit of a contract can be legally assigned without consent,

provided there is no express prohibition on assignment or, for example, a requirement that consent

is obtained.

· Where there is no restriction on assignment, the usual way of assigning the benefit of

contractual rights is by statutory assignment. The assignment must be in writing, signed by the

assignor, absolute (not purporting to be by way of charge only) and notice in writing must be

given to the other contracting party (section 136, Law of Property Act 1925).

· If a contract is not effectively assigned under statute, it may still be assigned under

common law by an equitable assignment. An equitable assignment may exist where the requirements

for a statutory assignment are not satisfied. The main practical consequence of an equitable

assignment is that the assignee cannot bring an action in its own name against the third party,

but must fall back on the rules governing equitable assignments and join the assignor as a party

to the action.

It is, in any event, desirable for notice of an assignment to be given to the third party because

the third party will otherwise be entitled to continue to make payments to the assignor. Notice

will give the assignee priority over any other assignee that has failed to give notice, provided

there is no knowledge of such prior assignment.

· The burden of a contract cannot be assigned. It is therefore necessary to novate, rather

than assign, certain contracts. Novation is, in effect, the rescission of one contract and the

substitution of a new contract in which the same acts are to be performed but by different parties.

· On the sale of a business, the asset purchase agreement may specifically assign the

benefit of the seller's contracts to the purchaser. Assuming that there is no restriction on

assignment, this amounts to a statutory assignment, provided that notice is also given to the

other contracting party. If assignment is not possible, or only possible with consent, the asset

purchase agreement may provide that such contracts are held on trust pending the obtaining of

formal consent to assign or novate.

Trade debts often remain with the seller on the sale of a business because giving written notice

of the assignment of the debt to each debtor can, depending on the number of debtors, be time

consuming and expensive. Where the trade debts remain with the seller, the seller may continue to

collect the debts, or else the buyer may collect the debts as agent for the seller.

As the burden of a contract may not be assigned, liability for breach of contract stays with the

seller, who will therefore seek an indemnity from the buyer in relation to any breach occurring

after completion.

Izaz Ali

• Haha 1

lily white,

I see this mentioned quite often but it's not actually true in all cases, particularly in relation to the CCA.

If you see the cases of Halsall v Brizell [1957] Ch 169 and Rhone v Stephens [1994] UKHL 3 you will see that a burden can be assigned if it is relevant to the exercise of the right. And, of course, there is the nemo dat rule.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/190881-assignments-could-useful-2.html#post2067462

regards

nicklea

Hi Nicklea i hope you are well

Where there is no restriction on assignment, the usual way of assigning the benefit of

contractual rights is by statutory assignment. The assignment must be in writing, signed by the

assignor, absolute (not purporting to be by way of charge only) and notice in writing must be

· If a contract is not effectively assigned under statute, it may still be assigned under

common law by an equitable assignment. An equitable assignment may exist where the requirements

for a statutory assignment are not satisfied. The main practical consequence of an equitable

assignment is that the assignee cannot bring an action in its own name against the third party,

but must fall back on the rules governing equitable assignments and join the assignor as a party

to the action., the usual way of assigning the benefit of

to the action.

So as i see it

If it is assign under stature the dca can sue on is own right

If not they ,can not

However they do not buy the contract i.e. the burden but the rights duties and benefits.

As far as i see and please this is, just work in progress for the contract to

transfer novation has to take place and that is not going to happen.

Well where are we

1 if a dca write to you and you ask under what terms are the assignment

If it common law just tell them to go away and they do because they cant sue in there own right

If the alleged Debt is under Stature that is different so we need to work what we need to do,however they cant buy the contract imho

As i see the issue, sorry good morning to you all,

there are in the case of a dca 3 parties

1 OC

2 DCA

3 CAG MEMBER

The alleged debt under CCA the agreement.

May i ask has any one ask the dca what has been assigned.

If the reply is.

Rights dutys benefits and burden

SO What rights what duties what benefits and what Burden

if they confirm the burdens

DID THEY SIGN THE CCA THE ANSWER IS NO DID THEY PRODUCE THE CCA

THE ANSWER IS NO SO WHAT burdens

I thank you all for input i am trying to understand also please excuse the spelling it is early in the morning

VIVA CAG LILLY

n principle, the benefit of a contract can be legally assigned without consent,

provided there is no express prohibition on assignment or, for example, a requirement that consent is obtained.

· Where there is no restriction on assignment, the usual way of assigning the benefit of

contractual rights is by statutory assignment. The assignment must be in writing, signed by the assignor, absolute (not purporting to be by way of charge only) and notice in writing must be given to the other contracting party (section 136, Law of Property Act 1925).

And further:

“· If a contract is not effectively assigned under statute, it may still be assigned under

common law by an equitable assignment. An equitable assignment may exist where the requirements for a statutory assignment are not satisfied. The main practical consequence of an equitable assignment is that the assignee cannot bring an action in its own name against the third party, but must fall back on the rules governing equitable assignments and join the assignor as a party to the action.”

Do we all agree that this is correct IMHO I BELIVE IT IS.

lilly

Very comprehensive lily_white and thank you. If I understand you correctly, if an original creditor, in my case a credit card company, sells my account, and perhaps other accounts to a third party to carry on the operation of providing credit, and then that third party sells the debt to a debt collecting agency, if the original creditor and the third party did not advise the debtor of this transfer, or indeed the selling of the debt to a DCA, then the assignment(s?) have not been properly carried out. Is that correct please?

PLEASE WE ARE GETTING THERE JUST A NOTE TO TELL THAT IT IS YOUR ISSUE AND WE WILL GET THERE

Good morning to you

lilly

Thanks for all the input,I'm most grateful.

Just a couple of points.

As it was a CMC no judgement was given although the judge said he would make an order. Shall I await that written order before offering a repayment plan to the claimant?

As I never received a NOA from the original creditor is it not strange that I should have to pay a third party DCA and simply take their word that they have a legal right to the debt?

The choice of course is yours however you have seen the debate

May i ask was the assignment ever clarity by the dca ie under what law

This is the alledged NOA. Bear in mind that it was from a third party DCA who I had never heard of before,was never sent to me when they said it was,not sent by the original creditor,only refers to another NOA and the copy only included with the claimants witness statement received two days before the hearing. I have had to type it out as the copy sent to me could only be read with a magnifying glass!

"LEWIS DEBT RECOVERY 1st May 2008

Dear Mr xxxx

We act for CL Finance Ltd. We are instructed to inform you that you debt with AA Personal Fin has been assigned to our client. This means that ownership of you debt has changed to CL Finance Ltd. Formal notice of assignment is set out in the box below.

YOUR DEBT OF £XXXX MUST BE PAID TO US IMMEDIATELY.

Please note that we are authorised to take futher action against you to recover this debt if it is not paid by 11th May 2008. Please ensure that you quote reference number xxxx when remitting payment.

Yours etc.

(The following text in their letter is about half normal size and barely readable)

NOTICE OF ASSIGNMENT

TO MR xxxxx Account reference xxxxx

We hereby give you notice that AA Personal Fin of R/O Trinity Road,Halifax West Yorkshire HX1 2RG have by an Assignment dated 28th March 2008 and made between AA Personal Fin and CL Finance Ltd assigned to CL Finance Ltd absolutely a debt in the sum of £xxxx due and owing by you to them for the balance due under account reference xxxxxx and you are required to pay the same to the benefit of CL Finance Ltd accordingly."

---------------------"-------------------

Attached Thumbnails attachment.php?attachmentid=7399&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1238011821

O c AA PERSONAL FINANCE

Assigned Absolutely CL Finance absolutely

Acting on behalf OF CL Lewis debt recovery

IS THIS CORRECT.

WHO WOULD YOU PAY

ARE LEWIES PART OF CL

WHAT WAS ON THE CLAIM FORM

WHERE YOU INFORMED BY AA OF THE ASSIGNMENT

PLEASE bear in mind the principle sum may or note be a good deal

I am to pay Howard Cohen & Co solicitors who act for CL Finance

I think Lewis are part of CL but have nothing to confirm this.

The claim form was issued by CL as claimant with coresspondance/payments to be sent to Cohens.

No I never received any NOA from AA Personal Finance.

OK IMHO

As the solicitors where prepare to take this to court the assignment would have been under stature so they can sue in their own right forget about Lewes

If AA Personal Finance did not sent a NOA it means that you could still pay them and not CL

However as a judge as given recommends you are box in.

if it was me and again this is of course is to you i would see this as a result

Given that the solicitors cost will come out any monies paid, there will very little left for CL.again i have no knowledge of any arrangements

Well done for taken this to wire,may i ask on who suggestions did it end up in a informal meeeting with a judge

i hope we have help

lilly