Housing Benefit rules

JBelle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have searched high & low for an answer to a simple question!

Are people on Housing Benefit allowed overnight 'guests'?

I am a single Mum on IS, working a few hours a week to try desperately to make ends meet. Me & my 2 under 10s live in a privately rented flat, and get Housing Benefit.

I have recently been really ill with a thyroid problem and a recurring illness causing pain. I have medication prescribed by the doctor, but cannot take it when I am alone with my children because it knocks me clean out. A friend has stayed over at my home a couple of nights a week so that I can take my pain relief medication, but now somebody has reported me to DWP saying I have another adult living with us and I am very worried I may have broken HB rules, but I cannot find any rules anywhere! Years ago, I am sure rules stated you could have an overnight guest no more than 3 nights a week, but perhaps this has changed?

My friend has another address, so I have no problem proving he is not living here, but I'd still like to know the rules!

As far as I am aware to be counted as a couple your friend would have to stay 3 nights per week.

I recommend contacting your council for advise on this and also contacting the DWP stating what you have said above. Unfortunately once an allegation has been made they are obliged to follow it up. There are some horrible people about.

The guy who comes to help us is my friend, NOT a partner, significant other etc...

I would love to ask my housing benefit team, but they are refusing to tell me anything if I don't give them my name & address. I am scared of giving out this information incase I have done something wrong and they stop my benefits.

One of the housing benefit rules is that you MUST tell them if someone moves in ( or out ), but as this person hasn't " moved in " you would be within your rights to not tell them.

But, it would be better if you did let them know the situation, particularly if you can get a letter from your GP or hospital doctor, confirming what you have posted above.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!