B&Q Delivery problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having taken advantage of the kitchen sales in B&Q we are suffering, as I suspect many are, with missing kitchen pieces.

I have read the advice on this forum and others and written the following letter which is going recorded delivery to the store and the chief exec of B&Q in London.

If you have any feedback or advice please let me know, next step will be visiting the store and meeting the manager.

Letter:

I write to you with regret at the disappointing service I am currently receiving from B&Q.

In January we took advantage of the kitchen sale in B&Q and ordered a cream Cooke and Lewis kitchen for our apartment in Birmingham. We explained at the time it had to be delivered after our two week holiday in February and prior to events taking place in March, we therefore agreed a delivery date of 28th February with the kitchen planner and placed the order paying in full. With the date confirmed we sourced our kitchen fitter and booked the 27th February to remove the existing kitchen so work could commence on the 28th without delay.

It was pleasing to see the kitchen delivered on the morning of the 28th February as agreed until we discovered a number of items missing.

Pack H Cream BU Oven Flr 600mm

?13.00

Pack EE Cream Base Corner 925mm

?81.50

Curved Cornice and Pelmet Cream

?50.00

Curved Base Door Unit Cream

?95.00

Wall/Island Curved Unit

?88.00

Clad on Wall Panel Cream

?120.00

Push to Open Hinge Pk J+ 1000

?100.00

?547.50

The receipt for the order clearly stated the items would be delivered on the 28th February and 1 item would be available in store. In fact it turns out this one item in store was not ordered until we queried the other missing items.

The first conversation with the telephone support confirmed there was always going to be a 2nd delivery in March which we were never informed of at any point. This is doubly disappointing as we called twice during the week to confirm delivery dates and slot. The first person we spoke to promised to escalate the issue and call back within 48 hours. However, by Sunday afternoon after there was no call we called again only to be told he had escalated the issue to the incorrect department.

On the 2nd call we were told the delivery was going to be rebooked but the system gave some form of error so we were promised another call back. By 5pm on Monday 2nd March we called back having had no update by this time. We were told nothing could be done and the middle of April was the only date for another delivery. A totally unacceptable delay.

There seemed to be some confusion over the delivery times on the remaining items. We were clearly advised that we have to keep calling and demand delivery of each item as and when it turns up otherwise we risk further delays and missing parts in our new slot.

By this point delivery had moved back to 16th April.

Further phone calls have now indicated two dates for delivery of 23rd March and the key parts of the kitchen the coloured glass door hinges and curved wall units (the whole reason for choosing B&Q) will not be with us until 23rd April, a full 4 months after the original order.

In addition we required 2 extra items adding to our order, we delayed making the order for a number of days as we were told there was a delivery charge if ordered over the phone. Having taken the time to visit Wednesbury (after calling 4 times to talk to the kitchen dpt, but with no reply) I now find that the earliest order date is 24th April and wonder what it would have been had I made the order by phone the previous week? Especially as I have been told I have to have the pieces delivered at a further charge of £10 when the advice from the B&Q helpline had been delivery would be free to the store. I expect the £10 to be refunded at least as a gesture of goodwill for the further delay this caused and the incorrect information give by the B&Q helpline.

So from a delivery date of the 28th February we now are looking at completing the kitchen at the end of April, and having the kitchen fitter return twice to complete the job. With luck the kitchen might be finished by mid year but even if it is B&Q has lost another customer through poor communication and service.

These delays are unreasonable and time is of the essence.

Delivery of all outstanding items must be made by 27th March 2009. After this date we will be claiming any costs for taking annual leave to receive goods during the week, additional fitting costs of £150 per day, time taken for phone calls, recorded delivery of letters and compensation for delays to the value of the currently missing items totalling £547.50.

A copy of this letter is being sent to B&Q head office (Euan Sutherland, London). Furthermore I am fully prepared put an additional complaint in with Birmingham Trading Standards as they have offered to deal directly with the store along with further legal advice until this is resolved to my satisfaction.

Hi,

The £150 is what the fitter would like for returning to complete the job. I understand the argument that he should complete the job as that is what he quoted for but I don't think it is unreasonable for him to receive payment due extra ordinary delays due to B&Q poor service. It should have taken just a few days to fit and that is what he quoted for.

Trading Standards will only get involved again if this is not resolved between B&Q and myself but its good to know they will.

They usually will with this lot. It has the benefit of the advice /intervention being impartial and shows you have done all you can to resolve the problem yourself. Courts like that - should it go there (let's hope not).

I think you have a claim against them, but you are in cloud cuckoo land with the one you've put down, at least in that form.

Claiming the value of outstanding stuff is a really good signal you cannot evidence the claim properly. It is also not something you are entitled to.

If you are making time of the essence, then follow it through and claim rescission, plus damages. Just don't affirm the contract and fit stuff before then. Make sure you have made time of the essence properly - ensure there is a breach of contract and that your dead line is reasonable. I reckon you are ok with what you've put above, but they are on the tight side.

If you are making a comp claim, aim for:

£50 per day off you need to take where you've been given less than a week or so notice.

A modest amount of inconvenience - maybe 200 assuming that it runs the full three or four months. For just delivery problems that is pushing it.

You will perhaps only get away with one day's fitting charge, especially if the fitter is on a fixed fee.

Claiming for time making calls is just not going to fly, compensation for this should be included in the general comp for inconvenience.

Make a realistic claim and you might get it settled quicker. make a daft claim and they'll just say no.

Don't both with head office on london, send the letter to their southampton address.

Don't threaten TS. They'll not bother with ought. You can either sue or try the furniture ombudsman, B&Q are a member. Only worth it to claim losses though, they won't be able to get you your bits.

Thanks for the feedback, the letter went today so we'll see what happens. Normally we wouldn't bother but its beyond belief that an organisation can be so badly organised with such a high value item and treat customers this way and we know we are not the worse off.

What do you mean by "cannot evidence the claim"? There had to be a value from some where and I couldn't find examples of what to claim, but getting the money is not important getting the kitchen is.

Edited by Pommyboi_2009

for breach of contract you can only claim your loss, so your loss is the value of the stuff if they don't deliver or your costs if they do. You've asked for both delivery and the value of the goods; the two don't gell.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it all worked out well. We got all our order at the end of March a month before promised and with all items there.

Someone from B&Q phoned after recieving a copy of the letter to the chairmans office and arranged for everything to be delivered. I feel sorry for the people probably getting a delivery this weekend missing half their cream kitchen because I suspect that is what the impact of our early delivery will be.