Default notice - HSBC - advice needed for newbie?!

cheshiremouse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5534 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Firstly, hope I'm posting this in the right area - apologies if not.

Have just had a scan of all the posts and got some great info but would love it if someone could consolidate it all for me in lay mans terms:)!!

A potted history of my situation: Student bank account opened with HSBC in Sept 1997. They gave me an overdraft of £1250 which towards the end of my three years at Uni I had pretty much used all of it.

I called when I started working to see how best to pay it off/avoid charges and they said that as long as I kept making credits then there would be no problem's and I kind of forgot all about it.

So stupidly since then I have been paying £5 a month by DD (my current account is with someone else.) I know....I know.....utterly pathetic bury my head in the sand tactics. Anyhow during this time HSBC put me onto a standard current account with them and all correspondence has been sent to my parents address (and subsequently unopened by me).

The upshot is I have been issued a default for £2097 and my debt is now with Metropolitan and I am paying £20 a month (currrently on maternity leave + SMP so will be able to up this when back in work). I'm only over my £1250 overdraft purely because of charges (i.e I have never spent anything over the £1250 myself) = £847 worth of charges.

Is there anything I can do - what would be the first steps?

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Edited by cheshiremouse

Ok, still trying to get my head round it all. Can someone clarify if this is what I need to do:

1) Request my SAR

2) Start my claim

3) Issue an S.10 in an attempt to get the default removed?

Just to reiterate I am only in default because of bank charges added.

Thank is advance :)

Hi Cheshiremouse , welcome to the forum :)

First of all you need to set the ball rolling to reclaim your charges - that will put your account 'In Dispute' , so that they can't take action to claw back money which you do not owe them .

Incidentally , MCS are not a real Debt Collection Agency - they only work for HSBC , using their premises and database , so I wouldn't get too worried about them .

It's not going to be a quick process , getting your money back ,then trying to get your default quashed on the grounds that you weren't in default in the first place .... but we'll take it a step at a time.

First, you need to read up on the timetable and procedure to get your claim rolling , so here goes :

Links for new starters

http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index.php/Step_By_Step_Guide

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/25457-guide-reclaiming-bank-charges.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Templates library

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

It's important to get your Subject Access Request off to them , I'm told you can get a form in the local branches now, so they have 40 days from the time they receive it to deliver all your accounts deails, statements , agreements ANYTHING with your name on it , for the £10 .......

Then while you're waiting for them to produce , read up on the rest - your aim is to get your claim to the Small Claims Court as soon as possible , ignoring any attempts by the bank to divert you... they will tell you they can't deal with it because of the court case pending .... rubbish - just carry on with the timetable.

Once you get your Subject Access Request documents work out how much they owe you -

1 . send a Prelim letter asking for it back - give them 14 days from receipt , then

2. send Letter Before Action giving them another 14 days to cough up - then

3. start court action

Come back at any time and ask cheshiremouse, someone will answer and we're user-friendly on here ........ :grin:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Once this ball is well and truly rolling , cheshiremouse, you could try for the default to be removed , on the grounds that it is caused completely by Bank Charges......... there is a link here which might help with that :

[

For some people this may mean going into default. If it is clear that the default was made in respect of charges and that it was lodged after a charges claim was begun( that's maybe not quite right for you , but read on anyway .) then these users have a really excellent chance of having it removed

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/data-protection-default-issues/164871-castlebests-default-removal.html#post1772646

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Just a quickie update + question:

SAR sent + cheque.

However I've started to go through the (few) statements I've got and it looks like what I've been charged is "Debit Interest" at about £30 a month for the past three years, nothing is listed as charges, but this may be different when I get all the info back.

Am I right in presuming that if it is the "Debit Interest" has taken me over my overdraft of £1250 to take me to £2079 overdrawn (that's then definitive figure I also found out today) - then I haven't got a leg to stand on?:?

Thanks - Cheshiremouse (Squeek)

Have a look at this cheshiremouse , it tells you what you can and cannot claim for ......

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/15518-charges-description-statements-please.html#post119205

On the face of it , if you're referring to these charges which are notified by the bank on the sheet which comes with your monthly statements (which hardly anyone looks at ! :rolleyes:) then I think you may not have a leg to stand on , as you so graphically put it ! :-| It sounds like these are Interest charges for having an overdraft , which are perfectly legal I'm afraid.......

But wait till you get your SAR stuff and see what descriptions are on there, there may be some 'rogue charges ' (see the link above for descriptions) that you can claim for . :)

Nemo me impune lacessit