british gas default..thought i would post this here...help needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5509 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have been directed to this board in the hope someone here can help

I will try to give as much info as possible whilst trying to keep to the point!

In Dec 2007 i moved house, In oct/nov 2008 i got a letter from a DCA AT MY NEW ADDRESS re an outstanding amount of £700 from BG re my old property. I called them and said if i did owe money it certianly wasnt 700!! They said they were employed to recover the money - not enter into negotiation or discuss incorrect bills etc.

I requested that the debt was passed back to BG and i would take the matter up with them.

A few weeks later end of Dec I got a letter stating the debt had been passed back to BG as they were unable to recover the amount. I thought - great they have passed it back cause i asked them too and i can get all this sorted!!

Now, i left it at that as i was 39 weeks pregnant and assummed -foolishly i know- that BG would contact me re this.

I have checked my credit file recently (as i have been offered a new job to start in may that requires me to have a credit check done, offer of job is dependant upon check 14 days prior to me starting the role) and a default for utilities was placed on my file on 14th December 2008 from BG

Surely they cant do this?

I didnt get a notice of default etc, as i would of called straight away.

As i say, i asked the debt be passed back, and 3 weeks or so later i got a letter to say it had been passed back but the default had already been place on my account by then looking at the dates?

Please can someone help - my job depends on this! I know now i was foolish for assuming that as the letter said they were passing it back i was getting somewhere but i could really do with experiences/advice etc

Also, i was informed that a default from a utility co isnt the same as a dafualt on a credit agreement and default notices didnt need to be issued? is this correct

I am so upset about this i dont know where to turn, i phoned the citizens advice but the guy there wasnt much help and i had little patience with him tbh

Tried that already - didnt work.

the data they supplied to the credit ref agency is oncorrect - or i think it is?

dont know if anyone can shed light on this?

The 'start date' of the account states 19/12/2007 - but i sold the house and moved out on the 5/12/2007. so surely under DPA this data is incorrect? so does this make it anymore likely that ic an get teh default erased? obvioulsy i will pay what is owing but as i have only just found out about it i am trying to gain as much info as poss before speaking to the again

Did you inform British Gas when you moved out?

Did you do a move-out meter reading?

Did you receive (and pay) a "Final Bill"?

Have you written to them (recorded) disputing the balance and asking them to clarify it?

If you can provide this additional info, I am sure more people can help you! Atm, my personal opinion is that if they have the account "start Date" after your move out date, then on the face of it, it seems like the person who moved in after you didn't pay their bill and BG hadn't registered that you moved out.

Thanks,

H

• 4 weeks later...