style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5523 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wouldn't send a cheque, I would pay them directly online using either a debit or credit card.

That way the council will not refuse the payment, and no fees will be taken out of your payment.

If you send a cheque, there is the possibility that the council will return it to you and insist that you pay the bailiffs instead.

Ok just got a reply from equita .

They are adamant that we agreed to pay the debt. and that the bailiff would not have suspended recovery unless told not to do so .

They believe that it was dealt with in a profesional matter and that they believe they did not break the law. they will be putting the funds back in my wifes account but now refuse any form of payment plan.

At the botom of the letter it says

Coulcil tax debt - 793.59

Recovery costs - 244.50

Surely those costs are a bit high can anyone advise please !!!

You need to WRITE to Equita immediately by e-mail to: [email protected] and say to them that you are very disturbed at the response from their company and that you are considering making a formal complainy to the Local Government Ombudsman and that accordingly you require a copy of the SCREEN SHOT of your account.

In addition you need to state that you are aware that the charges that a bailiff may make is £24.50 for "attending to levy where no levy was made" and that a further charge of £18.00 may be applied if a second such visit has been made and that accordingly you require a detailed breakdown of the fees and charges applied to your account and confirmation also of the amount of the Liability Order passed to them by the local authority.

Just recieved a letter from equita sayin they ghave repaid me. Im worried as it mentions the costs as below

Stat visit fees 42.50

Levy Fees 40.00

enforcement fee 160

then it says that the levy and enforcement fee were incurred at time off ******* attending the property. reference has been made to vehicle (my car)

does this mean they can now just take it?

should i have been told about he levy at the time of it being done?

all we had on the alledged day was a had posted pre prinyed letter with an amount hand written on it no mention of levy.

Please advise very woried.

car is not on hp

Proper stressed out now thought this was done but needclarification.

by my reckoning we had in equita's word 687.09 to pay

Wife paid 200 by card leaving 487.09. equita banged on 244.50 so I only owe 242.59 on my council tax.

Im not sure were I stand on what charges should apply. Note at no time have we had a knock on the door. I know this as I stay home with our 7 month old boy. At no point on the letters that equita send do they tell you how much you owe abd when my wife did call the baliff he "never had our file with him"

Can some one help please!

see tomtubby's link number 27

I understand this but according to the letter says the levy and enforcement fee were incurred at time of Mr ****** attending property on 17th feb. reference has been made to vehicle **** ***

I cant afford to loose my car and not sure were I stand. Can they just make a levy against my car like that. ?

They say I have until friday 3rd April to arrange clearance !

Edited by ooberj
Forgot info

Not unless they actually came to your house and levied/seized your car.

You would have known about it because they would have put paperwork through your letterbox.

The fact that you don't appear to have had that paperwork suggests that they didn't actually levy on it at the time at all.

Does that help?

I've just read one of your earlier posts, which says that on the date of the alleged levy all he received through the door was a handwritten note with an amount written on it. If it had a date on it as well, that would really help.

You need to respond in writing, with a photocopy of the paperwork that you received, because it's starting to sound as if they are trying to play dirty.

They may be getting desperate.

This is a public site, so the quick and dirty solution to your problem cannot be posted here. Nudge nudge wink wink... :-)

Thnaksfor your reply again. I cant find the letter that was hand posted but sure it was 17th feb. Were im confused is that they are charging me £40 levy fees and £160 enforcement from that visit on the 17th feb.

Taken from letter dated 19th March

The levy and enforcement fee were incurred at the time of Mr ******** attending the property on 17th February. Reference has been made to a vehicle being identified dispayong reg **** ***

This is the first I had heard of any charges etc. so Is there a levy on my car ? again I have had no face to face or signed anything

*** UPDATE ****

New letter from Equita stating that It is not there intention to get into a protracted correspondence in the matter and that baliff action is immenent after the refund of monies.