• Tweets

• I think his point is renewing his season ticket shows it wont happen again. using contactles doesnt.
    • Thanks dx for your guide. Yes, I will use their services, but not often. I usually spend around 80 per month, but the season ticket price is 160. I plan to renew it as long it could help me to show that I will not do it again.
    • if you are going to be using its services yes if not no. STOP PANICKING........ yours is not the next move. dx  
    • You could try this and include a copy to the SRA who are being particularly tolerant to this bunch of jackapes. This also shows that you are not to be messed with and are capable of stirring up trouble for them when they step out of line. Dear DCBL, I am in receipt of your letter of 18th April 2024 regarding CPR1.1 After studying the whole section I cannot see anywhere that I am required to furnish you  with my mail address or my phone number. Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide me with a reference to it. I suspect that your subterfuge is designed to allow you to bombard uninformed litigants with last minute information on the day of their Court case which appears to occur at times with your company. I notice that you are asking for proportionality at the same time as you are demanding  an unlawful £160 when you are aware that under PoFA the maximum that can be demanded  is only £100. You will note  that I have included the Solicitor's Regulation Authority into our conversation in order to ensure your reply. And your old excuse of "admin. error" is surely wearing a bit thin even with the SRA. so I look forward to an apology for your error and a declaration that you will desist from trying to hoodwink other motorists in future.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sapphire001 vs. Halifax **I WON!**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having spent years being overcharged by the Halifax I've finally got round to organising a new (and much better) current account - so as a parting gift to the Halifax I'm hoping to claim back all those penalty charges, including the four they have just notified me about today :0( (and all because my childminder paid in a cheque too early!)

I'm just putting together the Subject Access request letter and will get it sent off at the weekend. I'm on holiday for a while then but it'll give them time to send all the charges/statements and I can spend a while reading through the site - so much to take in!

Just wanted to ask - over the last six years I've had two different addresses and two different surnames - do I need to put them all in the letter or with my current name/address and account details be sufficient? i don't want them to come up with stalling excuses1

Thanks ... and good luck, everyone.

Alison

-------------------------------------

Action againt Halifax:

01.08.2006 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

25.08.06 Statements received

Calculated - they owe me £797.50 :eek:

15.09.06 Sent preliminary letter

26.09.06 received "sorry you're not happy" letter

29.09.06 LBA posted

14.10.06 Halifax offer me £439

16.10.06 Moneyclaim action filed

22.10.06 Claim acknowledged - Halifax to defend

02.11.06 SETTLED IN FULL!!!

Action against CapitalOne:

15.09.06 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

26.09.06 Received letter acknowledging S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

20.10.06 Statements received

Calculated - they owe me £392 :lol:

25.10.06 Sent preliminary letter

9.11.06 Sent LBA

--------------------------------------

I reckon your account number and any addresses you have lived at/names you have had in the last 6 years should suffice, plus the £10 cheque/PO :)

Have a nice holiday in the meantime.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I'm finally going to get started on the Halifax! The statements arrived on the 22nd-25th August but I've been so busy that I've only just had a chance to go through them and work out the charges. Turns out that over the past five years and three accounts, the Halifax have charged me £797.50 - not a bad haul, although i actually thought it would be higher than that.

They're currently still adding charges following them clearing a cheque with insufficient funds - I actually opened a new account and have had everything transferred there but they still keep on adding charges each month.

So I've just printed off the preliminary letter and that will be going in the spot today - fingers crossed!

Jut one query - I had a threatening letter yesterday - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE YOUR ACCOUNT - because I am overdrawn - almost entirely because of their charges and them paying direct debits despite the account being overdrawn. Should I respond to it and tell them that i am awaiting the outcome of this case? Or just ignore the letter/ I'm not bothered about them closing the account down as a I have new one but don't want them to take me to court etc.

Thanks!

Alison

PS I'm going to go after my credit card company too :)

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

• 2 weeks later...

I had a letter from Halifax yesterday - not quite a standard reply, as it was peppered with errors (loads of words in present instead of past tense, and a couple of words missed out in places) but pretty much along the lines of "You agreed to pay us when you messed up so that's that". They did, however, offer to withdraw the fees that would have gone on my account at the end of September (because of the fees they applied to my account in August ...) - ow kind of them!!!

Anyway, the Letter before Action will be going in the post today.

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

Just realised I should give them 14 days even though they've responded, so the letter will be going off tomorrow so they have it Monday morning. I've been onto the MoneyClaim site and ahve filled in the forms there as far as i can, jsut need to add in the interest total for whatever day i submit the claim.

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

Well, what utter lying ***** they are!!

In the letter they sent me following my preliminary, the lovely Lianne Salisbury, Customer Care Manager, said, "I have as a gesture of goodwill cancel (sic) pending charges due to debit your account 31st September to avoid escalation of your balance at this time."

So what have I just noticed today? They've debited another £28 from my account on 30th Sept and I've had two letters telling me they'll be debiting the same at the end of Oct and Nov!!!

Grrrr.

Anyway, LBA went off at the weekend so we'll see what happens next.

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

• 2 weeks later...

had a letter from Halifax yesterday making me an offer of £439, which is a very reasonable 50% of my claim - but of course I won't be taking it! I've got a couple of questions now though, can someone help me out please!!

1. Do I need to contact Halifax re: the offer or do I just go ahead and put in my MoneyClaim papers/ The deadline is tomorrow.

2. I've already had letters telling me that Halifax will be adding charges at the end of October and the end of November - do I add these to my claim on the grounds that they are definitely going to be added whatever, or do I have to either pay up or claim these separately?

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

Guest bluecloud
had a letter from Halifax yesterday making me an offer of £439, which is a very reasonable 50% of my claim - but of course I won't be taking it! I've got a couple of questions now though, can someone help me out please!!

1. Do I need to contact Halifax re: the offer or do I just go ahead and put in my MoneyClaim papers/ The deadline is tomorrow.

If the deadline is tomorrow then just go ahead and do it. The deadline is not negotiable and the bank had until then to settle the claim in full as per your request, not bugger you about with half-offers.

2. I've already had letters telling me that Halifax will be adding charges at the end of October and the end of November - do I add these to my claim on the grounds that they are definitely going to be added whatever, or do I have to either pay up or claim these separately?

You can only claim for charges that have already been applied, so unfortunately you cannot add them to the claim this time. However, there is nothing to stop you from going through the same procedure in December, after the second charge has been applied. It might be worth giving the bank a ring after your claim has been successful to see if they will perform another "gesture of good will". :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for helping, I'll get the Moneyclaim thing sorted out and put into action tomorrow.

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

I would advise a letter rejecting the offer of settlement is still sent, just my opinion really and something I always do! :) Letter is in the templates section if you need it, just modify it to suit! :)

MoneyClaim has gone through, fingers crossed! Just off to the template library to politely but firmly turn down their generous offer! Wish me luck!!

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

Just checked on the MoneyClaim site and the Halifax acknowledged my claim on Friday despite the summons not being deemed served till today. Fingers crossed I'll have some money within the next few days!! This is exciting :smile:

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

Just got home to find a letter from the court saying that Halifax intend to defend the whole claim. This is getting a bit nerve wracking now - I know from reading posts here that they always say they'll defend and then pay up anyway, but i don't really fancy going to court if I can help it. Oh well, I guess it's just a case of wait and see now.

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

Just had a letter from the Halifax:

Overlimit amount: £199.72

DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER

Despite several attempts to resolve the very serious arrears on your account you have chosen not to bring your account up to date.

If the payment above is not made within five days of the date of this letter, we may take further action against you.

Upon expiry of the Default Notice, we may instruct a debt collection agency to arrange repayment of the full balance or alternatively commence legal action.

It is in your interest to resolve this matter by making an immediate payment of £199.72.

Your card has now been cancelled. Do not attempt to use it. The card should be cut in 2 pieces, horizontally across the magnetic strip, and returned to us immediately.

I've checked my account and they haven't paid up yet, and there's still ten days to go till the deadline. This overdraft is made almost entirely of their fees which is why I haven't done anything about it - I'm planning on clearing it when they pay up, then transferring the rest of the money to my new account (as I haven't used this one since the end of July).

Is this just a scare tactic? Should I be worried? is this actually a Default Notice as they hint at, even though it doesn't say at the top that it is?

What should I do, anyone??!

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

Bumping as I really could do with some advice here!

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

I'd hold out personally. If it is referred to a debt collection agency, I'd telephone them to tell them that their action needs to go on hold pending result of legal action against the halifax.

Also, if a default is placed on your credit file, you'd be able to get it removed because it was due to unlawful charges that they put on your account. In court if neccesary...

Regards

S

Halifax PLC - £607 - SETTLED IN FULL

Halifax Card Services - £1142 - SETTLED IN FULL

MBNA Europe - £842 - SETTLED IN FULL + INTEREST!

I'm not planning on paying, I'm more than happy for them to take the charges from the returned charges but can't afford to clear it in the meantime. Are there any templates that I could send to let them know the situation? I had a look in the library but couldn't see anything suitable.

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

Just written a reply:

Thank you for your letter of 23rd October regarding arrears on my account. I am currently waiting for the resolution of a MoneyClaim court order for unfair fees charged by you to my accounts and when I receive this money the arrears on my account will be cleared.

I would like to point out that when I opened this CardCash account in 2003 it was promoted as one where I would not be permitted to go overdrawn – that all payments made when there were insufficient funds would be refused. While on paper my account became a Student Current Account when I started university in September 2002, as I did not receive any benefits (no Switch card, cheque guarantee card, overdraft etc) or any notification of a change of conditions, I assume that the conditions remained the same.

However, on 25th July 2006 a cheque for £79.75 cleared my account despite it taking me overdrawn. (Incidentally, the cheque was also post dated 1st August, which I believed at the time would ensure the cheque could not be cashed until after I had been paid on the 28th). Because this money left my account without my realisation, there were then insufficient funds for my regular payments and debits, and another 9 transactions totalling £149.50 were allowed to go through. I do not feel this is responsible action on your part given that there is NO overdraft facility on this account, authorised or otherwise. You have also made charges totalling £176 since July 25th.

I would hope that while the charges on this account are under scrutiny by the courts, you will put any pending action on hold until a resolution is achieved.

Is that any good? Or TMI??

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

Guest bluecloud

Sorry to pee on your bonfire but I wouldn't send it.

Something like this might be a little less inflammatory:

Your Address

x

x

x

Date xx/xx/xx

Dear Sir/Madam

Re Account Number: xxxxxxxx

Roll number: x/xxxxxxxx-x

I acknowledge your letter dated xx/xx/xx.

I am endeavouring to rectify this matter with all due haste. However I am currently unable to restore the account within your suggested time frame.

I am sure that you are aware that the account is the subject of a claim relating to the bank charges applied. Should you feel it necessary to proceed with the collection of the outstanding balance I will have no option other than to place the account in dispute.

I request that my current claim be allowed to finish before any further action is taken.

I have enclosed the card in the condition that you have suggested.

Yours faithfully

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hope this helps.

Hi Sapphire,

Looks like me and you are about the same timescales with the MCOL, lets hope we both have some good news soon, waiting for my postie everyday!!!:grin:

Sean

Halifax claim £2152 (LBA sent 4th Oct 06)

Halifax Money Claim entered 17th Oct

Halifax acknowledged on 18th Oct

Halifax make full offer 28th Oct.

Lloyds Claim request statements on the 5th October:D

Hi Sapphire and Sthurley

I'm at the same stage as you, filed with MCOL last Wednesday 18, acknowledged by the Halifax on the 19 and received court papers on Saturday saying they intend to defend. Just waiting now for their letter to say they will pay up!

Karen

August 06- S.A.R. handed into a Halifax Branch

Sept 06 statements received and first letter sent requesting repayment of charges totalling £3,90

beginning Oct 06 received phone call offering £1,397, said would accept as interim payment andLBA letter sent same day

mid Oct 06 MCOL submitted online

end Oct 06 paid in full including interest and court fee - £4,980!

ohh so we are all at the same stage, I had my court letter straight away to, Ive just checked my account, still nothing......no postie yet.:)

And Im claiming 12years worth of charges so Ill be double chuffed if they pay up the whole amount........:grin:

Sean

Halifax claim £2152 (LBA sent 4th Oct 06)

Halifax Money Claim entered 17th Oct

Halifax acknowledged on 18th Oct

Halifax make full offer 28th Oct.

Lloyds Claim request statements on the 5th October:D

I'm only claiming for the last 6 years but almost £5,000. Paranoid that I'll be the one they will make an example of and drag into court!!!!

Karen

August 06- S.A.R. handed into a Halifax Branch

Sept 06 statements received and first letter sent requesting repayment of charges totalling £3,90

beginning Oct 06 received phone call offering £1,397, said would accept as interim payment andLBA letter sent same day

mid Oct 06 MCOL submitted online

end Oct 06 paid in full including interest and court fee - £4,980!

Oops, sorry Bluecloud, i sent the letter yesterday. i am really angry about what they have done recently, especially as they offered to rescind further charges as a goodwill gesture (I have it in writing) yet still added more on. Hopefully like with most organisations one hand doesn't know what the other is doing and those deciding whether to pay up won't get wind of my complaint!

Sthurley and jackboy, good luck!

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA

I was SURE there'd be a letter in the post yesterday but I've still not heard a thing from the Halifax, and they acknowledged over a week ago now. I'm starting to have a nasty feeling that I'm the one they're going to make an example of and take to court :confused:

Action againt Halifax:

29.09.06 LBA posted

9.11.06 Sent LBA