Housing Association

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5472 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I share ownership of my flat with my local housing association. They charge me rent for the portion they own and every year the increase seems ridiculous. This year it's set at 8.2% (RPI at 4.2% + 4%)

I can't see why they would add RPI on top of the increase. They are supposed to be a charity providing housing for people on low income. I only work part time and my pay increase this year will be 2.5%.

I wrote and complained and they said if you can't afford to pay, apply for housing benefit. Why should the council fund their demands? I may work very few hours due to illness, but I'm not on benefits and I don't want to be.

Does anyone know if there's an ombudsman or someone who can question these people? I'm in Scotland if that makes any difference?

Fuzzgin - would you mind please informing me (via PM or on here) the name of the HA in question?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks fuzzgin - just ensuring it is not my employer!!

The two regulatory bodies for HAs are the Tenant Services Authority and the Housing and Communities Agency - both from the old Housing Corp.

I would query with these bodies in the first instance. Certainly the rise seems ridiculous - I happen to know that ours will not be anywhere near that. RPI + 4 seems wholly unreasonable - closer to RPI itself would seem about right.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Cheers, that's what I thought. I got really annoyed with them last year after a similar huge rise that was supposed to include maintenance charges, they then announced they'd "forgotten" and wanted over £100. I agreed to pay that in installments. Then this! To make matters worse, they included details hidden as a letter/questionnaire inside a magazine which most people probably threw away.

• 3 months later...

OK, due to illnes I gave up (temporarily) on the above battle, but I have a new one...

There is a second secure door at the back. I rarely use it as there's just a laundry drying area and this area's weather rarely allows laundry to dry outside. A relative used it recently and noticed that the gutter is leaking from above the flat above mine. It has ben doing that for a while, the back wall of the building (the back of my flat) has green water running down it. I know I should have spotted and reported it earlier, but as I said I don't go out unless I have to due to illness and not to that area. I've been suffering all winter with chesty coughs due to the damp in my flat and my parents bought a dehumidifier to try and solve the problem. They're worried about structural damage if it (the damp) continues.

Anyway, I've used the old topic so you can see how helpul :rolleyes: my HA are before answering. I need to compose a letter to accompany the nice set of photos I have (I prefer to write, they are very offhand on the phone). Anyone know of any templates, or can help me compose a letter. I'll try myself at some oint if someone could give me some pointers.

Does anyone have a letter suggestion, template or something?

*update* It's Ok, I did a basic letter and let the photos speak for themselves. We shall see what reaction I get.

Edited by Fuzzgin
update