Council Tax Worries

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having read a lot of these posts, most people seem to be being harrassed by horrible companies for things they haven't done and I'm really sorry for you guys.

I, however, am a complete idiot and didn't pay my Council Tax because I couldn't afford to and it was a case of sitting on letters and pretending the debt didn't exist. It does and nearly two years down the line I have received many letters from various people and one that has finally kicked me up the arse and made me do aomething about it.

The letter is from a company called Marston Group and it's a Removal Notice for the sum of £2599.55. Moere than I can ever imagine owning! I rang the number on the letter and spoke to a lovely man (a complete shock in the world of owing money) and he explained that I needed to ring Marston and make an offer to pay some of this debt monthly and that they would be difficult but not to offer more than I can afford as this would end up pushing me further and further into trouble. He was actually surprisingly supportive and this made me realise that I just want to get it out of the way. He suggested that they couldn't "attend my premises with a locksmith and remove goods even in my absence" as long as I made an offer.

I was hoping that some of you wise people would be able to suggest to me how much I should offer. I know this is based entirely on what I can afford but to be totally honest I would struggle to pay £100 a month and I'm concerned that this would simply be laughed at by the people at Marstons. Urban legend says that they have to accept any offer made but I want to get my facts straight before someone bullies me on the phone and I end up promising my entire paycheck away.

I also read somewhere that I could return this debt to the Council or something, I'm not even entirely sure what this means or whether I've gone to far with the head beneath sand attitude but I'd like to know whether this is an option and if anybody knows about doing this or has experience of such.

I'm in such a horrible pickle, my mother helped me pay back a debt when I was at university but she took control of it all and I paid her back so I don't quite know what it entailed. I know that she paid £100 a month though and it was for a similar sum of student over-the-overdraft. I'm determined to put this behind me, tackle it sensibly and learn from these mistakes as on the cusp of my quarter century, I know that it's time I took responsibility for myself. But it's causing me sleepless nights again and I just want to get it sorted.

I was also wondering about a letter I've received from AIC regarding a British Gas debt, I rang them and offered to make a payment but they said this was impossible as it had come to them and they didn't offer that, I would have to pay it in full this month. This will be a complete headache and if needs must then I shall but I was wondering if they can do this and if there is any way I can make an offer with them.

Phew! Apologies for the lengthiness and thanks in advance,

D-E

Hi Dancing-eyes,

Welcome to the forum. I am not an expert and clearly understand your worry, but don't panic I am sure someone with better knowledge will be along soon. If I was you then I would suggest to pay them the £100 a month, at least you are making an effort and trying your best to resolve this matter quickly.

Council Tax are a completely different league of their own, so I don't really know what the in's and the out's of resolving arrears with them are. But do everything in writing, keep copies, and always send them recorded delivery. Have you looked at the Local Authority, Council Tax and Business Rates Issues forum. It's on the main page, maybe you can get some info on there, help, advice or suggesstions until someone comes and fishes you out.

There is always a way out of everything its just a matter of finding it, so please don't worry too much.

Good luck BTW! :)

You should fill out an 'income & expenditure' form. Excel Budget Planner.xls at http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html bottom of the first post

Put down all your out goings which includes any other creditors/debts, gas & electric, food & travel expenses etc. etc.

When you work out what you can reasonably afford, send a copy along with your offer to Marston's.

Thank you both.

Would you recommend then that i write to them rather than phone them? I don't want to delay it in any way and give them futher cause to demand my pitiful possessions?

I'm all ears...

And thank you, fretful38, I have posted on the Council Tax forum too but it seems a bit less busy over there... I'll just keep checking back.

I was also wondering about a letter I've received from AIC regarding a British Gas debt, I rang them and offered to make a payment but they said this was impossible as it had come to them and they didn't offer that, I would have to pay it in full this month. This will be a complete headache and if needs must then I shall but I was wondering if they can do this and if there is any way I can make an offer with them.

They can demand payment in full until they are blue in the face, do don't have to succumb to their stupidity. If you can afford to offer them say £5 per month or whatever, send them a postal order for that amount along with a letter stating that is all you can afford & if they cash it you will consider it as their acceptance to your proposal. Send it recorded delivery & keep a copy of the letter & delivery slip.

Yes always write to them, if you do it tomorrow and send it Recorded Delivery it should get there Friday, or Special Delivery definitely Friday. Because it is so important and the clock is ticking I would spend a couple of extra pounds, at least you will be able to relax on the weekend Knowing you have made the right move.

Remember we all make mistakes, just have a look at some of my threads trust me your feel a a lot better :D

Apart from that I wish you good luck and hopefully you will get it sorted out soon, it ain't the end of the world like these tossers make us to believe. There is a life after debt, well that's what I tell myself to keep me insane oooooooops I meant sane ;)

Take care and don't WORRY!!!!!!!!!!!! too much

Would you recommend then that i write to them rather than phone them? I don't want to delay it in any way and give them futher cause to demand my pitiful possessions?

Never telephone DCAs, everything must be in writing. In that way you have written evidence of any agreement.

Goodluck with this Dancing-eyes. I know how worrying it is. I am also about to sort C Tax probs as well. They make you feel you have no choice but to pay them what they want, but nobody has the right to take more than you give as long as you are trying.

Good luck and heres to some peaceful, restful nights

olives xxx

The easiest way would be to call the guy you spoke to before and ask him.

Don't worry, even if there is it's certainly not the end of the world, it just gives them more leverage than the average DCA. It just means that when you come to an arrangement you must stick to it.

Before you do anything in your post you say you could not afford to pay your council tax. Was this because you were overstreched or because you were not working. The reason I ask is you may not owe this amount if you were on a low income. If your income was below a certain level you may have been entitled to council tax rebate.

However if you do owe the money one thing you must not do is let anybody from Marstons in your house if they call to discuss the matter do it outside or make an appointment to go to their office.

Once they have been into your house even if its just for a nice chat they then have the right to force entry if they need to over this debt.

I am not trying to frighten you but council tax is an enforcable debt and bailiffs dont always play by the rules. So no matter what they say dont let them in.

They would always perfere a payment plan so if you could come to some agreement but dont be forced to make an agreement you cant keep to as they will then start visiting you to inform you and add charges which soon mount up.

Edited by esmerobbo