• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

possible secured loan shortfall

cuz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi i hope someone can help me please

we currently have our house for sale for 104k and the mortgage is 65k with halifax, but we also have a secured loan with nemo and the redemtion figure is 45k

i know we will be short IF the house sells at 104k, but with the way things are at the moment i cant see the house selling at all. We are really struggling financially a lot by way of, only feeding the kids as we havnt enough for ourselves for most days and not having money for gas for days on end. I dont want to go on, but things are really really bad.

We cant let the house get repossessed as my husband could loose his job.

Does anyone know if nemo could stop a sale from going through?

I think are best option is to lower the house price to about 80k to attract a fast buyer looking for a bargain and that way we could still pay off halifax.

We need the house to be gone asap

Any advice or comments would be really helpful

thanks

Edited by cuz

ive just read all the papaer work i have on the nemo loan, and there is nothing in the terms and conditions that relate to either transfering the loan if you sell and but another property, or if you sell and dont buy again.

my husband rang nemo and the first advisor said any monies left over from the sale would go to them, then any outstanding debt would transfer to a non secured loan, and before i had time to tell him to get this in writing he had hung up.

when he rang again to ask for it in writing the advisor then said, the first advice was wrong and if we sold our house for less than its value they could put a stop to the sale

i really dont know where we stand, im hoping someone here knows a bit more

any advice would be really appreciated

thanks

Hi

I had a similar problem and a secured loan with Welcome as well as a mortgage with Halifax. Basically Halifax being the main lender can do what was called a 'power of sale' and force the sale whether the loan company want to or not. I was in arrears though and possibly looking at repossesion so that may have made the difference.

I also have to pay the outstanding balance as an unsecured loan and i have not managed to find out the legal position on this. Especially seeing as Welcome have not provided a copy of my CCA so i can check what it says about it.

Yeah, we borrowed 30k jan 2008, and they have added the ppi insurance as well.

At the time of taking out the loan the advisor stated i needed to sign for the insurance or the loan money would not be sent out.

I sent them a letter a few weeks ago to claim for mis-selling on the ppi, but they sent me a very long letter disputing it was mis-sold and they will not be refunding the ppi.

When I looked at the cca, the insurance totals to about 12k!!

Ive read a few posts on claiming back the ppi, but im not really sure what I should do next

Any help would be really great, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Not sure how things are proceeding with this at the moment, but it is possible to sell a house with a shortfall on the secured loans.

The lender has to agree to changing the remaining debt to an unsecured loan, but the first charge holder gets paid in full first before any remaining money is paid to the next lender.

You'll need to make some sort of payment arrangement to them for the amount left based on your income and expenditure since its unsecured after the sale.

We sold our house with a shortfall and via a quick sale company which was the right choice for us at the time.

Good luck

Best regards.

Yeah, we borrowed 30k jan 2008, and they have added the ppi insurance as well.

At the time of taking out the loan the advisor stated i needed to sign for the insurance or the loan money would not be sent out.

I sent them a letter a few weeks ago to claim for mis-selling on the ppi, but they sent me a very long letter disputing it was mis-sold and they will not be refunding the ppi.

When I looked at the cca, the insurance totals to about 12k!!

Ive read a few posts on claiming back the ppi, but im not really sure what I should do next

Any help would be really great, thanks

Have a read through the PPI threads. I think once a company gives you its final answer about mis-selling PPI then the next step is FOS. Read the Sticky's at the top, this should give you a guide!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/payment-protection-insurance-ppi/

This can be quite a lengthy process though so probably won't help financially now! But if you can proove the mis-selling of PPI, then the secured loan will be reduced!

OK so you borrowed £30K and the PPI was £12k, have they given you a redemption statement? if they have can you post up exactly what the figures are and what they are for?

Bobby

• 2 weeks later...

hi GhostDebt,

could you tell me who you used for the quick sell of your house, and where they ok?

ive been trying to convince my OH that this would be a good idea for us, maybe if I can get some good feedback from someone who has done this might suade him to go for it.

thanks

hi bobby

I sent nemo the second letter still disputing the ppi, and they responded with the same answer and telling me to take it up with the financial ombudsman. Thanks for the link I will go through it before I call them.

I dont think I have an updated redemption statement, im going to have a look and if not I will call them and ask for a revised figure with a breakdown of the amount

Thanks for your help

Guest suziedarkness

Cuz,

i was in the same position as you and I dontknow if I can be of any help but ....

My home was repossessed mid 2007. Aswell as the mortgage I had a 2nd charge with Nemo and a 3rd charge with welcome.

the main mortgage was with GE Money and they sold my house well below market value, piled on heaps of charges and when it was sold I had only £5,000 to pay off of Nemo.

what with all the charges the companies continue to lump on, I have a shortfall of over £80,000.

This site has been my salvation and I have learnt so much and am indebted to everyone here who pass on their knowledge.

Now both my loans were taken out prior to Apr 2007 and were subject to CCA 1974 where applicable.

I was sure that my loans were unenforceable thanks to info on here and after consulting with a solicitor he agreed my findings and is working on my behalf to get them wiped out.

I suggest that you get legal advice from a local solicitor or CAB as misselling of PPI still aplies and there are such things as unfair relashionships with regard to mortgages, secured loans etc.

May I ask, did you arrange this loan via a Broker? This could be significant.

Suzie

Hi Suzie

We arranged the loan ourselves direct with nemo and not through a broker.

We really need to sell quickly so were looking at anything else before it gets to repossession.

I,m still looking at all the info on this site as im not sure how unenforcable cca,s work

thanks for your advice, everyone here is very helpful, I hope you manage to write off your debts

Hi Cuz,

The company we dealt with handled it well, but we spent some time looking for a good company. (there seem to be a number who are just out to take advantage of people in an unfortunate position).

Please note that they purchase the house at below market level though, but they can sort out good solicitors who can help negotiate the shortfall.

Will send you a message with the company name in it.

Not sure how the current housing market will affect you, but if this is the right decision for you I hope it goes well.

Best regards and keep us updated....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, ive now got the redemption figures through, mortgage is 60k and nemo is 42k.

The house was valued at 110k, and is up for sale for 99k.

I have called a few quick sale companys and was offered between 60k and 70k, I have another company coming out tomorrow and he has given an offer of 75k.

In the meantime I called nemo and asked for advice as to what would happen as we are thinking of accepting an offer for 75k (i havnt had this offer yet, i wanted to know what there reaction would be) the advisor couldnt answer any questions over the phone, so i have just received a letter from them today, they are asking for:

settlement figures for the mortgage with a full breakdown of the balance

memorandum of sale including full breakdown of marketing activity

written confirmation of estate fees

written confimation of solicitors fees

written evidence of previous attempts to gain unsecured lending to clear the proposed shortfall

completed income and expenditure form with upto date proof of income

a proposed repayment schedule

proposed further contact address "should the neg equity sale be approved by us"

it also goes on to say they will give us a decision within 10 working days, however they reserve the right to decline the application without providing an explanation and this facility may be withdrawn at any time.

I was under assumption that as we are in financial difficulties and are struggling with the mortgage and loan, halifax could use a power of sale, so they get their money back. If this is correct, should I ignore the letter from nemo, they seem to want a lot of information then stating that they can withdraw the offer at any time?

Any advice or comments would be really great as im in a quandry :confused:

thanks

I would always advise anyone who is facing repossession to contact a professional claims company. Where you are dealing with the likes of Nemo and Welcome and the like there is usually a broker involved. This does make all the difference and you will see in the coming months that people will be recovering large amount of compensation where properties haev been repossessed when the lender had no right to do so.

The main issues that will affect this is ppi on second charge loansand broker involvement. These sound pretty unimportant issues but lenders have propogated the idea that ppi and stuff is a minor matter. Dont believe it for a moment .

Hi Cuz,

I hope things are going ok, I am sure things will work out but can't offer too much advice 'cos we don't know exactly how things work as the solicitors for our sale dealt with the shortfall for us.

Just hope things work out for you successfully.

Best regards

thanks ghostdebt, we had a really good solicitor when we bought the house 7 years ago so i think i will give them a call.

just had the quick sale man in, and its sounds like a complete [problem], he thinks an investor wouldnt pay any more than 60k, so instead i should use him to place private adverts in the local paper which states the house as full deposit and legal fees paid (which we have to pay) then on completion his fees are approx 3k

AAAAGGGG!!!!!

sorry it really is unlucky friday 13th for me, having a really bad day

yes he has spoken to hr and his inspector, he cant get repossessed but he can go bankrupt, but this wouldnt be any good to us as the secured loan is in joint names

I'd check this again - what is the reasoning behind this if all the debts can then be included in the BR?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.