Student loan over 6 years. ccj

watchthis
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5507 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am a bit worried about this at the moment, firstly we are told widespread redundancies will happen in my the company I work for, the same day I receive a letter from the slc, the first time I have heard from them in well over 6 years. it states

STUDENT LOANS COMPANY LIMITED AND YOURSELF

We Write with regards to the above Account which now has an outstanding balance, due to be paid immediatly.

Information has been obtained by our trace department to advise that you are now resident in the above address.

We therefore advise that you contact this office no later than 20th January 2009, to discuss your account.

Please note, failure to respond within the date specified will result in your account being passed to your local Count court, whereby we will commence enforcement of the existing County Court judgement, registered against you on the 21/06/02, to recover the outstanding balance due by any means necessary.

I have been reading your great forum and noticed because they have not contacted me in over 6 years it might be illigal for them to chase it, but because they somehow got a ccj on my credit file (This didn't stop me getting a mortgage or any credit) it might not count. Can somebody please advise, I am particular worried over this and really have had a terrible 2009 so far. Just to add, I have checked my credit file when I got a mortgage and there was no mention of a ccj. do you think they are lying? Is it wise to try and get the ccj removed?

Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Don't know if this will be any help, but I am starting uni in Sept and have been looking at funding etc.

We have been told that we need to do nothing regarding repaying any student as they are dealt with as a tax and are taken direct from you salary once you earn over £15K by inland revenue.

Also told that the life of a student loan is 20 years and anything still owing after this time is automatically written off.

Thanks

Bandtrainer, you're talking about the new loans (post 1998), so this won't apply.

As Masterwoody said, have you ever deferred payment? This would affect how long you've had since contact with SLC.

As far as I'm aware, debts can be chased for upto 20 years if you have a CCJ. Hopefully someone can clarify this or not.

• 1 month later...

I hope this information is not too late, but reading your problem about ccj. Well if you have a ccj and have not paid off that debt, ccj's usually stay on your credit file for 6years, and then gets earsed.

If student loans have gone ahead with entering a ccj for you, their way of enforcing legal action would be via a charging order because you are a home owner or attachment of earnings (if your working and do not own a property). This means that they would apply to the county court to place a restriction on your property (which usually take about 2months). they would take this type of legal action because they know no matter how long it would take for you to pay up, this debt will one day be paid. Once it is obtained:

1.they can force to sell your property (but before they could do that, if you have other creditors on, they will need to agree as well)

2. IF you are to remortgage or sell your property, you will have to pay up your debt first as all restrictions on the property deed needs to be cleared/paid.

If student loans go ahead against you, remember there will be court charges and fees added to your debt as well.

You can still pay off your debt, via monthly payments, once your debt has been paid off, make sure you get student loans to remove the application on your property and also obtain a letter from them so you can send it to the county court to inform them that this debt has been paid so they can make a note on your credit file.

good luck

Supertrooper you need to careful about the information you give is correct. A lot of people on this forum are in serious debts and post like these only play in to the hands of the oppressors!

1. Firstly you can’t have a CCJ entered against you! A creditor can TRY and get a CCJ and we have successful defended many claims!

2. IF a CCJ was awarded by a county court, they will only ask you to pay what you can realistically afford!

3. If you were to default on the amount the court says you must pay. ONLY then could a creditor apply for a charging order

4. You can challenge a charging order and we have successfully defended many claims ( from other creditor not SLC)

5. We have no evidence of Student loans ever applying for charging orders

6. Student loan rarely even apply for CCJs

7. If the SLC or other gets a CCJ it will stay on your credit record until it’s paid, settled CCJ will stay on your file for six years

You don't need luck when you have CAG on your side