style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5628 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is the first time I've ever been in this situation regarding bailiffs and I really don't have any idea what to do so I'm asking for help.

Basically I recieved a letter today from Dukes bailiffs regarding unpaid council tax in Stoke On Trent. The outstanding balance is £670.37 which is for a few previous months aswell as up until April I think.

Now, I've recently been made unemployed and made redundant and I am now claiming Job Seekers allowance while I look for work. I have claimed for support with council tax and rent from the job centre and that claim is ongoing.

The bailiffs have asked for the full amount of be paid within 14 days which I cannot afford. There is then a form to arrange a payment plan. It asks a few things such as job, income, outgoings, e-mail address and date of birth.

I've read around the internet that I should perhaps try to get the debt passed back to the council some way and that I should not fill in this form, sign it and acknowledge the debt to the bailiffs.

Can anyone clear this up for me? I really don't know what to do next - I've spoke to the job centre and they've suggested that once my council tax claim has gone through then everything after 1st December should be payable by the benefits system and not me, which would bring down the total owed dramatically.

However, that might take longer than 14 days particularly over christmas, and I don't want to cause any avoidable trouble with the bailiffs if I don't respond to them ASAP

Any advice would very much be appreciated, I've seen a few other topics where people have been very helpful in resolving problems that people have had.

Thanks in advance,

James

If you need any more info, just ask