• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS

tedblue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No, had the mortgage for 3 years and it was only this year I have had problems. The letter basically said that it was being terminated and a full repayment is required. If I have problems paying back then I should contact a debt councilling company.

I was suspicious when I received their letter advising me to make other banking arrangements, but it was a single letter with three account numbers on it. I sent two emails to two different departments at the bank to find out if this included my mortgage and not one person responded.

I have at no time received a letter or phone call regarding my mortgage being in arrears. I did at one point contact the mortgage centre to ensure their were no problems but simply received a phone call from the chap in Edinburgh that I did not have to worry about the mortgage at this point.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the loan in arrears?

Hi Ted,

I've just read through your thread and can't believe what your bank is doing to you it's quite unbelievable. Anyway I just thought I'd show my support and I hope you can get some of these problems sorted.

Chris

Is the loan in arrears?

I honestly no longer know, as since the bank took control of the account I have received no notification or phone calls with regards to missed payments or arrears. It simply seems to have been in the hands of one man who has taken umbridge that I have requested the return of my bank charges and thrown his toys out of the pram.

It seems that they have linked all three of my accounts together and killed them all. They have been aware that over the last six months I have been negotiating the sale of part of my business. This sale will clear all outstanding debt, they know the figures, they even know the person is taking THEIR loan from RBS!!

Hi Ted,

I've just read through your thread and can't believe what your bank is doing to you it's quite unbelievable. Anyway I just thought I'd show my support and I hope you can get some of these problems sorted.

Chris

Cheers mate. I'll get through it no worries. It's a case of getting through it successfully, getting the result and making sure we can let people know that we can take the bastards on and win, no matter how they plan to retaliate. A bank is only as strong as it's customer base, and if we can take that away the, the ivory towers will begin to crumble.

I am frankly amazed that you don't know the state of the accounts and that you are not being supplied with any statements or other paperwork.

Have you submitted any subject access request?.

If you have not done so I think that you should submit one immediately. Make sure it is properly paid and properly addressed and properly delivered by recorded delivery.

I would also make a separate recorded delivery quest for an up-to-date statement of account. Although they have 40 days to respond to the SAR, I would expect the you should receive a current statement within 10 days at the very outside.

If you have a solicitor to see then obviously it is worth seeing what he says. However I have an impression that solicitors are not ruthless enough with these people and I would expect that you will simply tell you to negotiate and try to reach a compromise.

You have to make your own assessment of the risk you are prepared to take the trouble you are prepared to go to. If you are sure that you are owed £16,000 in charges then there may be something to be said for beginning the litigation immediately. However to be aware that at this level you are heading for the multitrack if they decide to take you on. This means that if you lose it will be a matter for bankruptcy..

From the sounds of it it seems that you were particularly vulnerable when you got involved in the claim and of course the bank has not hesitated to capitalise on this in a brutal way.

Even though it is a very large sum, it is still unlikely that the bank will want to go to court. They will know full well that if the case goes on to the multitrack they will be forced to reveal all of their costs and all of the details of the charging regime. This would bring the whole house of cards tumbling down. So although the risk for you is greater, the potential for disaster for the bank is also extremely great and the size of their disaster would be disproportionate to any loss which you might suffer and would certainly be disproportionate to the catastrophe which would befall them.

I still haven't noticed that you have replied to seminole's question as to whether your house has been used to secure business loan.

Business loan was taken out under directors guarantees before I even owned the house.

The reason I am uncertain on the state of the various accounts is purely down to the fact that I have been solely focused on completing the sale of the business in the knowledge that I would be able to clear the debt, and the bank were aware of this. They have not asked, they have not sent letters, they have controlled everything on a day to day basis fully aware of my situation. I only ever requested statements on the business account and olny requested refunds on the business account. I received the letter on intended termination within 5 working days of receiving the initial refund.

It was not until I requested the refund of my bank charges that they have flipped the whole thing over and pinned me. As you say, they know my predicament and have me nailed dead and centre. I have nothing to do but fight.

What is the termination date?

How much of your charges are you sure about?

How much is legitimate debt?

Would you be prepared to seek an injunction to stop the closures?

What is the termination date?

How much of your charges are you sure about?

How much is legitimate debt?

Would you be prepared to seek an injunction to stop the closures?

Letter states immediate repayment

All my charges are due to returned cheques, returned s/o or d/d.

Not certain what you mean by debt? My debt? What I need to repay? Or how much I have caused for myself?

I think my only option IS to seek an injunction.

BF means the debt to the bank Ted after the unlawful charges

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Ted,

As another customer who has been well shafted by the RBOS just wanted to pass on my best wishes and support to you.

I am in a fairly similar position although my charges are about half what you are claiming back.

All the best mate

Woolfie

Advice & opinions given by Woolfie are my own, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I trust you got the advice you needed today tedblue.

Bit by bit, keep moving towards your aim however elusive it may seem sometimes,

In support,

Regards,

Bean

Lloyds TSB - 27/11/06 - £6377 paidrest with FOS

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Lloyds TSB (MC) - 20/10/06 (BY DEF) £372

Hitachi Cap - Nov. 06 - £207

Citi Cards - 28/12//06 - £220

Monument - 23/1/07 - £889

Barclaycard (Mrs. Bean) - 19/2/07 £376

Opinions / advice of Bean are independent, informal, without prejudice, without liability, not CAG endorsed. If in doubt, ask a qualified professional.

I think it is really sick that in 2006 a lender can spite a customer in this way.

surely it would be possible to sue for breach of contract and (in the case of business customers) consequetial loss?

"If you owe the bank 100 pounds, you're the one with the problem. But if you owe a million pounds, the bank's the one with the problem."

Lord John Maynard First Baron Keynes of Tilton.

"If you owe the bank $100, that's your problem; if you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem".

John Paul Getty

• 2 weeks later...

Hi tedblue,

How are you getting on? Is there anything the good people of this site can do for you?

Wishing you well,

Regards,

Bean

Lloyds TSB - 27/11/06 - £6377 paidrest with FOS

SETTLED

Cap One - 6/10/06 - £875

Lloyds TSB (MC) - 20/10/06 (BY DEF) £372

Hitachi Cap - Nov. 06 - £207

Citi Cards - 28/12//06 - £220

Monument - 23/1/07 - £889

Barclaycard (Mrs. Bean) - 19/2/07 £376

Opinions / advice of Bean are independent, informal, without prejudice, without liability, not CAG endorsed. If in doubt, ask a qualified professional.

I have had my business account charges covering 2 years refunded by Co-op - keep at it Ted. No legalities, just negotiated, paid in full using the info from this site. Don't go silent on everyone Ted - I think we are all worried about you.

Yes we are! It's not easy-even when you're in the right-because most of us have an innate sense of fair play and decency which makes you think that people wouldn't 'treat you like that' if you were an ok sort of person.

That must be the biggest wrong perpetrated by institutions such as the banking industry.

I'm not an extreme sort of person but theres a quote springs to mind along the lines of 'for evil to flourish good men should do nothing'.

Don't lose heart, you have a lot of support here-from good men enabling others to do the right thing.

Don't lose heart, you have a lot of support here-from good men enabling others to do the right thing.
Don't forget the women ;)

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words. Hanging on at the minute but really up against it. In the process of moving my mortgage, reported RBS to the financial ombudsman and awaiting their reply, but really feel like a SOS bottle floating in a bloody big sea right now. Still fighting, but feel a bit like a knight that says neeeeee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1898 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks