Somewhat confused by a letter from Moorcroft?!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, You've helped me wonderfully before, so I thought I'd come back and try my luck again...

I got a letter today, addressed to somewhere I haven't lived for over a year (and the bills were never in my name, as it was my parents house), anyway, it is from Moorcroft and it reads:

ANGLIAN WATER SERVICES

NOTICE OF INTENDED LITIGATION (note how it is dated the 26th Nov, yet it only turned up today!)

To prevent the above action, send payment in full before 3/12/08 or Telephone ******** immediately.

If you do not respond to this letter, we will assume you are purposely avoiding repayment of this debt and will take the nescessary steps to secure settlement which may include issuing legal action against you. Please note if legal action is nescessary your debt will increase as follows:

Just goes on to mention court fees etc...

Then...Please note we have confirmed with a major public utility that you are in occupancy at the above address

Hmmmm - well I just tried to ring them, but office closed, probably a good thing cause the day i've had, they would have got a mouthful.

Firstly, I don't live at the address on the letter, so god knows who their "confirmed with a major utilty company" is!

Second, do they assume I'm just going to ring up and pay it, without questioning the dates, etc, just because they say so?

I just wondered what i can do really, as I don't live there, haven't for over a year, and it was my parents house....it's all just a bit weird. I would assume the bill isn't for my parents, as they pay the water bill monthly.

Thanks everyone

Don't speak to DCAs on the phone - you will just get abused and bullied. It is for them to prove the debt is yours, not for you to prove it isn't. Send them this:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Print - don't sign - your name

Ok, I will do, but surely by sending them that, I'll have to give them my current address? If I use my parents address, then they will assume I still live there won't they?

Also, it says to pay up by the 3rd, which is Wednesday! All this before christmas, joy ;)

Ignore the deadline - by sending this letter it puts the debt in dispute - you are informing them the debt isn't yours. They will have to come up with proof if they want to instigate court proceedings and their "we have checked your address" is probably just phishing. It could be someone else's bill with your name and they have just come up with your address after a random search.

I would use your own address to show them that you don't live where they are trying to say you live. They won't take you to court without proof the debt is actually yours. If they bluff then don't turn up, you will have a field with your costs and expenses against them.

Excellent, thank you. I'll get that letter printed off and sent tomorrow, should reach them by Weds with a bit of luck.

I guess I'd also better check with my parents that it's nothing to do with them whilst I'm at it. I'm wondering if maybe it's my bill, but for this house? Although surely they wouldn't get the address wrong, I really am confused!

Guess we should start with that letter and take it from there. Thanks for your help so far.

Thanks