When is a default not a default?!

tolstoy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My previous thread has highlighted a further, different query regarding my credit files and any default which may be recorded on them. I failed to make the payment on my Mastercard Charge card which was due 5 years ago in October 2003. Apart from the regular statement, showing the same unchanging balance each month I received no communication from my creditor until 3 weeks ago when they suddenly sent a default notice. Today they have sent a standard statement saying the payment is due by 23rd October. So, did it default in October 2003 when I failed to make payment, or was it September 2008 when the default notice was sent, or has it yet to default because they have sent a statement saying the payment is not due until 23rd October 2008? I obtained a copy of my credit files last week and this account does not appear on them anywhere at all, but if it is to be added to them now surely a default from 2003 would be due to 'roll off' my otherwise clean credit files in a year or so anyway. Any ideas?

I realise this, but do they not constitute any sort of legal entity? If it says this payment is due by 23rd October doesn't that mean the payment has not been missed and thus the account is not in default?

pgh7447

ive asked this question before, still to get correct reply

a creditor sends a default notice after, say, three months of missed payments

its the first stage in recovery

say the account has never been defaulted but after five years 364 days they lodge a default on the cra records.

the account holder is then screwed for another six years with this default just as it was about to drop off.

considering the ammount of time passed, is there any legal recourse against the creditor, can it be argued as an abuse of legal process

Postggj - I would assume that in tolstoys case and the one you mention that there would be a case for the oc to answer to in that they have waited all this time to issue a default notice, and that you could rightly point out that the account was actually in default from the last payment made, as for it being able to pursue this through a legal challenge, I'm afraid that you would have to ask a legal eagle, someone who may know is surfaceagentx20, he/she seems well informed on all matters legal