• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CL Finance/Cohen Claimform - MBNA [ryanair] Credit Card debt **WON**

Gazza112
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi CitizenB

Thanks for looking through my thread for me, as i thought as well the defaulted on me as well. I thought i was losing ther plot lol, till you confirmed it.

I tell you what i thought, weather it will work was to issue the same CSA 30.16 letter that i was going to send Barclay's and Halifax.

It's really to put the spanner in the work and see what they chuck back at me.

Gaz

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi CitizenB

No, sorry the Paperwork is in the wrong order, the second piece should of been the first otherwise everything is in the the right order.

I've got some updates to the MBNA account which i received today and will get posted later.

Gaz

Sorry Gazza, I didnt mean that the paperwork was in the wrong order on here.. but that that the alleged agreements they sent you were non compliant. :)

9th January was a friday, and you received it yesterday, yes ?.

Sadly, MBNA appear to have got it right this time. You discount the day of posting and the weekend following. Starting from the 12th in that case which is when you received it anyway, therefore you have the time required in law.:(

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Gazza

Sorry to put a downer on it but it looks like MBNA are learning some lessons about Default Notices. The Act requires you get 14 clear days after service not including the day that action must be taken to remedy the breach. Service under the Act when the DN is posted is deemed to be the next day. You might be able to argue 2 days under UK Mail. Two days is the assumed time for service under the Court's rules. Either way, they have given 14 days until 26 Jan.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Guest dvdriley

I have an enforceable credit card agreement with MBNA with a £7k debt. I offered to repay at £40.00 per month, which they have refused. I have now received a DN under sec 87.1 of the CCA.

However it is dated 9th Jan, I must pay the arrears by 26th Jan. By my caluculations that does not give me 14 days. It is one day short. Any advice and am I correct

Hi All

This was the letter i was going to send MBNA, before i send it can anybody if this letter is ok.

Date 13.1.2009

MBNA

Senior Manager

Chester Business Park

Chester

CH4 9FB

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account/Reference Number

Postage Reference:

I write with regards to the above account with your organisation.

I respectfully request that you provide me by return a copy of the credit agreement which bears my signature. I require this as i have reason to believe that there may be discrepancies within the agreement which may leave it improperly executed.

Obviously if the agreement is improperly executed i would be entitled to ask the court to consider the agreement and make a declaration of the rights of parties to the agreement.

I must stress this request is NOT made pursuant to section 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 but is made pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules ( Pre action protocols and Part 31.16) and therefore unsigned copy will not suffice, only a copy of the original contract in its unaltered form will suffice in these circumstances

Please confirm if you still hold a copy of my signed agreement and that you will provide me with this document.

I do not view this as an unreasonable request given that by supplying the document which i have asked for it will allow me to assess if my case has merit and will help to resolve matters possibly without the need to involve the court and will undoubtedly save costs on both sides

I look forward to your reply and would ask for a response by 27/01/09

Regards

Gaz

I have an enforceable credit card agreement with MBNA with a £7k debt. I offered to repay at £40.00 per month, which they have refused. I have now received a DN under sec 87.1 of the CCA.

However it is dated 9th Jan, I must pay the arrears by 26th Jan. By my caluculations that does not give me 14 days. It is one day short. Any advice and am I correct

dvd, the 9th was a friday. I think you discount the date the letter was typed. You then allow 2 days for posting 1st class or 4 days 2nd class. I think I have seen somewhere if UK Mail is used, this is deemed as 2nd class. You would have to confirm that though. So.. assuming it was posted 1st class and I understand that Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays are also discounted for postal purposes. Once you have it I believe the weekends are counted. Your post implies you received it yesterday/today ?.

Actually, thinking about it. If you discount Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Theoretically the two days would be Monday and Tuesday. Therefore, as long as you havent acknowledged receipt before Today then.. no you dont have the full 14 days.

Hi All

This was the letter i was going to send MBNA, before i send it can anybody if this letter is ok.

Date 13.1.2009

MBNA

Senior Manager

Chester Business Park

Chester

CH4 9FB

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account/Reference Number

Postage Reference:

I write with regards to the above account with your organisation.

I respectfully request that you provide me by return a copy of the credit agreement which bears my signature. I require this as i have reason to believe that there may be discrepancies within the agreement which may leave it improperly executed.

Obviously if the agreement is improperly executed i would be entitled to ask the court to consider the agreement and make a declaration of the rights of parties to the agreement.

I must stress this request is NOT made pursuant to section 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 but is made pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules ( Pre action protocols and Part 31.16) and therefore unsigned copy will not suffice, only a copy of the original contract in its unaltered form will suffice in these circumstances

Please confirm if you still hold a copy of my signed agreement and that you will provide me with this document. Alternatively, if you have this document and are not prepared to send me a copy could it be arranged for me to view the original at a local branch.

I do not view this as an unreasonable request given that by supplying the document which i have asked for it will allow me to assess if my case has merit and will help to resolve matters possibly without the need to involve the court and will undoubtedly save costs on both sides

I look forward to your reply and would ask for a response by 27/01/09

Regards

Gaz

Gazza, I have added a little bit to the letter,:D I think Godmother has also made a similar amendment to another copy you have posted up on another thread ?.

BTW, have a look at the reply I have given to dvd riley :-)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Guest dvdriley

thank you Citizen , how could I prove that to a court. Do i need to acknowledge receipt, would that not give them the opportuinty of correcting the error. Perhaps I should wait for a terminatiion notice

thank you Citizen , how could I prove that to a court. Do i need to acknowledge receipt, would that not give them the opportuinty of correcting the error. Perhaps I should wait for a terminatiion notice

Unfortunately I think this is one of those grey areas. Without the letter having been sent by a "signed for" service then there is no proof of the date you received most letters. Equally, there is no proof that they have sent them in the first place for the same reason:D

I am not sure whether it would be advisable to acknowledge receipt or not. This again is down to what the individual wants to achieve. BRW for instance on his thread re Nastybank has advised the bank of the "errors" in the Default Notices. However, I think in his case there were many other issues relating to the DN and Termination notices. I would suggest you try and track down a few posts from someone like 42man, creditcardmug, viscount stair and supasnooper, to name a few posters who seem to know what's what about DNs. :)

BCOBS

If the DN is definitely wrong, then the best advice is to keep quiet until after termination. Amex and First Direct fall into that category by stipulating a flat 14 days without allowing for the post at all. I think Egg have fallen into that category by missing out required information (Message to all Egg Loan defaulters - check your DNs!).

(I had the advantage here that I hadn't even started to know what to look for when I started getting mine, so I couldn't blurt anything out. ;))

If it is only arguably wrong (like here because it took longer in the post than they allowed for), then it's more of a grey area because you don't want to tip them off but, since it might be your word against theirs, you want to get it on record as early as possible that it arrived late.

All the CCA and the Interpretation Act talk about is the ordinary course of post (whatever that is). The timescales are based on analogies from practice directions and the CPRs.

I am not sure about the status of UK Mail S.

If UK Mail S is equivalent to first class post, then the CPR timetable means the notice is deemed to have been served on the Monday: 2 days after posting is a Sunday, which is not a business day, so deemed service is on the Monday.

Section 88 requires the date specified in the notice to be not less than 14 days after the date of service, so provided the notice arrived on the Monday, then it is valid because the date specified is exactly 14 days after the date of deemed service using the CPR analogy (assuming that UK Mail S is equivalent to first class post).

If UK Mail S is not the equivalent of first class post, the latest version of the CPR timetable does not apply and the DN is almost certainly invalid.

Deemed service only applies, unless the contrary is shown, so if you can "show" that the DN arrived on a day other than the Monday, then the date of actual arrival is what counts. If the DN did not arrive until after Monday (and you can "show" that), then it is invalid.

My call (though others might do things differently) would be to get it on the record but subtly that the DN arrived on whatever date it did arrive. One way might be to include a line in your CCA request if you have not already sent it.

"I refer to a Default Notice received from your organisation on [insert date] in relation to the above account."

I am sorry this is longwinded and heavier on theory than practice but I hope it helps.

• Haha 1

If it is only arguably wrong (like here because it took longer in the post than they allowed for), then it's more of a grey area because you don't want to tip them off but, since it might be your word against theirs, you want to get it on record as early as possible that it arrived late.

Section 88 requires the date specified in the notice to be not less than 14 days after the date of service, so provided the notice arrived on the Monday, then it is valid because the date specified is exactly 14 days after the date of deemed service using the CPR analogy (assuming that UK Mail S is equivalent to first class post).

If UK Mail S is not the equivalent of first class post, the latest version of the CPR timetable does not apply and the DN is almost certainly invalid.

Deemed service only applies, unless the contrary is shown, so if you can "show" that the DN arrived on a day other than the Monday, then the date of actual arrival is what counts. If the DN did not arrive until after Monday (and you can "show" that), then it is invalid.

My call (though others might do things differently) would be to get it on the record but subtly that the DN arrived on whatever date it did arrive. One way might be to include a line in your CCA request if you have not already sent it.

"I refer to a Default Notice received from your organisation on [insert date] in relation to the above account."

The date of delivery of the DN is irrelevant - what is relevant is the date of postage, plus allowance for the 14 days stipulated and any extra days for any service of the DN.

If you can prove that delivery was on Monday or later (eg you do not have a Saturday morning delivery) then great. The time clock of 14 days will run from delivery and you have not been provided with 14 CLEAR days. Note the Act does not take account of business days, weekends or bank holidays. If you can prove the DN arrived on Monday or later, then you could argue it is defective.

If you cannot show late delivery, then the Court will look at the Interpreation Act since the period of 14 days is specified in the Consumer Credit Act itself. The court's rules which would deem service after 2 days will not apply. In that case, your 14 days are up before 26 Jan and therefore the DN would not be invalid on those grounds.

If you feel the DN is defective, then notification to MBNA is a tactical question for you to consider. Personally, I would be tempted to write and post on Saturday AFTER the last collection. That way it would be Tuesday at the earliest before MBNA receive anything. And the dears are so disorganised with so many 'Head of Customer Service' positions, that it will take them longer than a week to respond, by which time they will have issued their automatic termination notice.

Guest dvdriley

are weekends knocked off the 14 days.

Where can I find the exact regulations in the CCa. I have looked through but it only refers to 14 days. Does not say anything about clear days or allowing for postage

The date of delivery of the DN is irrelevant - what is relevant is the date of postage, plus allowance for the 14 days stipulated and any extra days for any service of the DN.

I was wrong to precisely the extent of one; the word used in the Interpretation Act is "proved" not "shown". I am sorry that my recall is not always total.

Interpretation Act - section 7 (References to service by post)

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

Deemed service IS trumped by proof of the contrary - ie the actual date of delivery.

However, there are burden of proof issues, so I hope the envelope was kept and I think it is important that the version of events is on the record as soon as possible.

Trying to establish the status of UK Mail S would be useful too.

Guest dvdriley

Thank, so in my case the DN was dated 13/11, pay by 27/11. Now I cant remebr when I received it but 14 days assumes I received it the next day

Thank, so in my case the DN was dated 13/11, pay by 27/11. Now I cant remebr when I received it but 14 days assumes I received it the next day

13th was a Thursday

If the DN was dated 13/11 and remedy was by 27/11, then they most certainly havent allowed for any delivery so I would say you have a genuinely invalid DN :D

The weekend is only knocked off in respect of the postal service. ie if it was posted on a Friday they would reasonably have to assume it couldnt be delivered on a sunday IYKWIM.

BCOBS

I agree with CB. The DN in this case is invalid.

The Dn issued to gazza in the earlier post is valid unless the contary is proved as viscount has shown from the Act. So, as I said, if Gazza can prove there was no Saturday deliveries to the address, (because UKMail admit that they do not delivery on Saturday prehaps) then you can show the is invalid. Otherwise, gazza has a valid Dn from MBNA.

Hi Docman

Thanks for the info, on the note that may be a valid Default Notice.

What if after issueing them with the 31.16 complience letter they can't come up with the original document. Would the Default Notice they served be invalied.

Gaz

Does requesting a cpr 31.16 from a DCA mean that if they do not respond or fail to send you it or come to an arrangement for viewing the correct original document mean that you need to follow it through by takeing them to court?I can see that this is a excellant tactic of forcing them to prove whether they have an original agreement or not:D and if it goes to court the fact that you can say to judge you made every attempt to try and settle this dispute outside court to try and avoid wasting courts time:D !but would this request mean that that Gazza or anyone else requesting this CPR 31.16 force them in a position where they would be forced to take it further and issue a summons to bank for court action or can it just be used as a tactic to make it clear to banks that you know that they probably have not got an enforceable CCA and that if they take you to court you will be making them produce original!and you can still wait to see what DCA does next?and can still play the waiting game?

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Hi Sunflower

Its really forcing the banks hand at the end of the day.

As in the first place the Banks don't know weather you would take them to Court. On the other hand if they haven't got an enforceable agreement there not going to take you to Court in the first place. They know they would not stand a chance in Court without the right paperwork.

Gaz