• Tweets

• Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their help in this matter. Since my last post I have received a reply from Plymouth Council Insurance Team concerning my wife’s accident (please see enclosed letter and photo of the offending Badminton post) which they deny any responsibility for the said accident. I feel that the Council is in breach of their statutory duties under the following acts: The Leisure Centre was negligent in its duty of care and therefore, in breach of the statutory duty owed under section 2 of the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957. Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (the Act) to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all their employees, and others who might be affected by its undertaking, e.g. members of the public visiting the Leisure Centre to use the facilities. The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 that requires employers to assess risks (including slip and trip risks) and, where necessary, take action to address them. The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) require the risk to people’s health and safety from equipment that is used at a Leisure Centre be prevented or controlled. I would like some advice to see if my assumptions are correct and my approach to obtaining satisfactory outcome to this matter are accurate. Many thanks   PLM23000150 - Copy Correspondence.pdf post docx.docx
    • Talking to them does not reset the time limit, although they will probably tell you it does, they'd be lying. Dumbdales are the in-house sols for Lowlife, just the next desk along. If Lowlifes were corresponding with you at your current address then Dumbdales know your address. However, knowing that they are lower than a snake's belly, you would be well advised to send them a letter, informing them of your current address and nothing else. Get 'proof of posting' which is free from the PO counter, don't sign it, simply type your name. That way then they have absolutely no excuse for attempting a back door CCJ.   P.S. Best course of action, IGNORE them, until or unless you get a claim form......you won't.
    • A 'signed for' Letter of Claim has been sent today so they have 14 days from tomorrow... Lets wait and see what happens but i suspect judging by their attitude they wont reply 
    • I am extremely apprehensive about burning our files.... I do not know why, so it is becoming an endless feedback loop. Scared to pull the trigger to speak in the desire not to mess up my file. 
    • Hi All, So brief outline. I have Natwest CC debt £8k last payment i made was 7th November 2018 Not a penny since. So coming up to the 6 year mark. Can't remember when i took out the  credit card would be a few years before everythign hit the fan. Moved house 2020 - updated NatWest as I still have a current account with them. Then Lowells took over from Moorcroft and were writing to me at my current address. I did get a family member to speak to them 3 years ago regarding the debt explained although it may be in my name I didn't rack it up then went contact again. 29th may received an email from overdales saying they were now managing the debt. I have not had any letter yet which i thought is odd?  Couple of questions 1. Does my family member speaking to lowell restart statute barred clock? 2. Do you think overdales aren't writing to me because they will back door CCJ to old address even though Lowells have contacted me at current address never at previous? ( have no proof though stupidly binned all letters  ) Should I write to them and confirm my address just incase? Does this restart statute barred clock? 3. what do you think best course of action is?   Any help/advice is appreciated I am aware they may ramp up the process now due to 7th December being the 6 year mark.   Many Thanks in advance! The threads on here have been super helpful to read.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Threatening Letter from Ruthbridge - please could I have some advice??

rl27
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5708 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have got a house but there is little equity in it now the prices have fallen. My car is a company car - I have got tvs, dvds etc but only the usual stuff andthey belong to my partner. i have no savings either - the house was repossesed in Arpil 1999 and sold around Sept 1999 I think.

do you think they will think it is worth persuing Bankruptcy gizmo?

I have got a house but there is little equity in it now the prices have fallen. My car is a company car - I have got tvs, dvds etc but only the usual stuff andthey belong to my partner. i have no savings either - the house was repossesed in Arpil 1999 and sold around Sept 1999 I think.

do you think they will think it is worth persuing Bankruptcy gizmo?

No I don't think they will pursue the bankruptcy as you have little assets and not only will they not get the full debt, they will have huge costs to pay in taking the action as well. I don't they will let this drop though - is there any chance you coudl get together some money to make a full short settlement?

However you should never ignore anything that threatens bankruptcy, looks like a statutory demand or puts your home at risk.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

No I don't think they will pursue the bankruptcy as you have little assets and not only will they not get the full debt, they will have huge costs to pay in taking the action as well. I don't they will let this drop though - is there any chance you coudl get together some money to make a full short settlement?

However you should never ignore anything that threatens bankruptcy, looks like a statutory demand or puts your home at risk.

I agree that the debt is not yet statute barred, but would be cautious about making any offers at this stage as you will be acknowledging it and the time will start again.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Do you know if the house was sold at the market value? If not you can argue Skipton Building Society v Stott. This case basically means that the mortgage company regardless of repossession needs to obtain the market value for the property rather than just accept any offer. It also means that the property has to be marketed properly.

However, I would have to agree with gizmo that I would never ignore a threat of bankruptcy or SD. To do so would be folly and really you need to address this head on.

• Haha 1

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

If you feel that you wish to head them off, the letter in this post may well suit your purposes.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1275371.html

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I agree that the debt is not yet statute barred, but would be cautious about making any offers at this stage as you will be acknowledging it and the time will start again.

With a threat of bankruptcy, and 2 years to go before the debt is stat barred, resetting the clock is unimportant in this case.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

With just 2 years to go I would have said that it would be vital not to reset the clock if at all possible. What brings you to that conclusion?

I agree that the bankruptcy threat should not be taken lightly, but you yourself agreed that they were unlikely to take that route.

From the OP's first post

My ex partner and I had our house repossesed in April 1999.

If you feel that you wish to head them off, the letter in this post may well suit your purposes.

Bitter soft centres anyone???

Please read your own link Caro
"From 11 February 2000, lenders who are members of the CML have agreed voluntarily that they will begin all recovery action for the shortfall within the first six years following the sale of a property in repossession.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Please read your own link Caro

I have

I/we would point out that from 31 October 2004 the Financial Services Authority (FSA) have issued' The Mortgage: Conduct of Business Rules' which say that if a lender decides to recover a mortgage shortfall debt they must make sure the borrower is informed of this within six years of the date of sale.

With just 2 years to go I would have said that it would be vital not to reset the clock if at all possible. What brings you to that conclusion?

I agree that the bankruptcy threat should not be taken lightly, but you yourself agreed that they were unlikely to take that route.

Because very shortly if the DCA get no response then they are going to start issuing court claims and applying for charging orders, which will have to be defended and will be an admission of the debt. What will be negotiable/able to be challenged is the size of the shortfall and the amount that is repaid.

I cannot see in the current climate a DCA just letting this drop for a further 2 years, although as I said previously it is unlikely but not unheard of that they will take the bankruptcy route.

DAG is about supporting people to understand their finances and challenge the claims that are made against them within current legislation, not about sticking your head in the sand and hoping nothing will happen in the next 2 years.

As yet there has been no claim, simply threats. At that stage it may be appropriate to negotiate some kind of settlement. The OP does not have any money to offer, and in the current climate is unlikely to be able to extend his borrowing further. With the credit crunch, any equity in his house may reduce further, so it seems unlikely that anything would be gained by bankruptcy or a charging order.

A statutory demand gives a person 21 days warning to pay the debt. After that the statutory demand has runs it course and it can followed by a bankruptcy petition.

In the minds of a creditor or a creditor’s solicitor a statutory demand is the legal equivalent of a 'warning shot from a gun'. This is because the average debtor is so scared by 'what may follow' that they usually pay up.

In fact statutory demands are so successful that in 99% of cases following the issue of a statutory demand a bankruptcy petition NEVER is issued.

Many creditors are so shrewd that use various internet websites to let the banks, credit reference agencies and other public interest groups to publicise the statutory demand which can be disastrous for someone

Statutory Demand is the first step to bankruptcy against an individual and this is prepared and served without any court involvement. A statutory demand can be served as soon as the debt is due and a judgment is not necessary. If the debtor disputes the claim, he or she can apply for the statutory demand to be set aside. The bankruptcy court will halt the bankruptcy if there is any dispute about the sum outstanding. It can be relatively easy for a debtor to have a statutory demand set aside and the process can result in an order for costs being made against the creditor.

Please note that a statutory demand in 90% of instances is 'bluffing technique' used to scare a person into paying up. If a bankruptcy petition does not follow then this will become apparent.

Edited by rory32
computer playing up

I have

Quote:

I/we would point out that from 31 October 2004 the Financial Services Authority (FSA) have issued' The Mortgage: Conduct of Business Rules' which say that if a lender decides to recover a mortgage shortfall debt they must make sure the borrower is informed of this within six years of the date of sale.

In which case you can complain to the ombudsman. Complaining to the ombudsman doesn't stop any court action.

If the DCA have bought the debt they would also argue that they are not the lender, neither are they a member of the CML.

Edited by rory32

If its any consolation, I received the same letter, exactly worded as yours was and the date to settle the amazing reduction has passed.

I am watching the post box for any letters from them, waiting to see if it is all huff and puff or if they will serve a SD.

If it comes by second class post then I will take it as bluster.

If served personally then it takes on a more serious tone.

I would stress however that this course of action is my personal choice and ignoring SD's can have very serious consequences.

Of course I will pay you everything you say I owe with no proof.

Oooh Look....Flying Pigs

but what about the CPUT regs sequenci?surely they have an impact upon this?

while its a voluntary code, its voluntary to the point that they chose to subscribe to it, but surely once they subscribe they are duty bound to follow it as part of the contract

I think the issue is here the debt has been bought by a DCA so they will not give a monkeys about the CML code - am I right to assume this?

I really am at a loss as to what to do next. I don't know whether to just ignore it or offer a small settlement of £x

You could send them this letter to be going on with. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-162368.html

Apart from getting information which would help you, it will also give you time to work out how you want to deal with this. Only you can decide what is right for you, although the rest of us can provide you with ideas and support which may be helpful.

I think the issue is here the debt has been bought by a DCA so they will not give a monkeys about the CML code - am I right to assume this?

I really am at a loss as to what to do next. I don't know whether to just ignore it or offer a small settlement of £x

As well as the DCA's not being bound by the code, it didn't come into effect until 2000 and you were repossessed in 1999.

I would send a SAR and see what that throws up, so we can start breaking down the amount. I challenged a shortfall a few years ago of £7k and paid £2.2K in full and final.

Which mortgage company is this?

I am not sure I believe it was Woolwich as that name is what is on the 3 letters I have had - howver these letters are the only contact I have ever had - I have moved house a few times for my job since the house was repossessed so they may have tried to get in touch before but I have never recevied any correspondence until now

Hi - I have now received further correspondence from Ruthbridge - one addressed to "The Occupier" from "Express Delivery" which looking at othe threads is a common tactic of theirs to get people to call them.

I have also had another letter saying they will send someone round - has anybody else had experience of these people "calling" on your house? I don't intend to answer the door to them anyway but just wondered if anyone had them visit and what you did about it? Also please can someone advise what a Subject Access Request is that someone in the above posts suggested I try and obtain?

Thank you so much